Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:05:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Colts would have had the same advantage,no ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Depends I guess - 36 footballs used for outdoor games and 24 for indoor. Each time a new ball is used they could be swapped.

NFL rules for footballs.

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It depends.  Yes the Colts would have played with the same balls, but if the patriots planned this, they easily could have practiced with deflated balls all week, thus giving them an advantage.  That being said, it's not why the Colts lost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It depends.  Yes the Colts would have played with the same balls, but if the patriots planned this, they easily could have practiced with deflated balls all week, thus giving them an advantage.  That being said, it's not why the Colts lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Colts got their asses handed to them no question about it - but if the Patriots got caught cheating AGAIN, it would really say something. Since it was wet out, deflated balls would be a big advantage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
haters gonna hate

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing they would have swapped them out so only they were using them for the advantage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Deflated balls is why McCarthy didn't go for those 2 fourth and short goaline plays in the first quarter against Seattle yesterday.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
haters gonna hate

View Quote

Cheaters gonna cheat.

Seattle will rape them anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but don't they have home team balls and visiting team balls?  I thought each team played with a ball with their team's logo on it, or is that just in the superbowl?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

but don't they have home team balls and visiting team balls?  I thought each team played with a ball with their team's logo on it, or is that just in the superbowl?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home team provides all the balls (at least it looks like, in the quote I posted up top).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheating?!?!!? Againg !?!?!

Didn't do anything wrong the first time, seriously doubt they would start now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Deflated balls is why McCarthy didn't go for those 2 fourth and short goaline plays in the first quarter against Seattle yesterday.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#14]
They gave up 4 TD's on the ground...deflated balls don't matter much in this instance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How is the NFL going to prove it?

I would assume that there would be a calibrated meter that the officials would use to check the ball's pressure prior to being rotated into the game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would assume that there would be a calibrated meter that the officials would use to check the ball's pressure prior to being rotated into the game.

I believe the article said they pulled at least one ball during the game and weighed it. I'm sure they weighed the rest after?

Quoted:
They gave up 4 TD's on the ground...deflated balls don't matter much in this instance.

Prevents fumbles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/ball
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's see, air up balls indoors with 75 deg air. Then haul them outside into the cold. Air molecules compress due to temp change. Yep, definitely cheating, not science or anything. My car tires cheat every winter. Maybe they should use nitrogen so people quit whining.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Wait for a neutral reporter to get info from a league source. All balls should have been confiscated if they suspected anything. All balls should be in the sole custody of the refs the entire game regardless.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Jesus could not have helped the Colts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let's see, air up balls indoors with 75 deg air. Then haul them outside into the cold. Air molecules compress due to temp change. Yep, definitely cheating, not science or anything. My car tires cheat every winter. Maybe they should use nitrogen so people quit whining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Air pressure varies 10-12% from 70 degrees down to 32 (according to tire pressure pages). The NFL rules 12.5-13.5 PSI. It's not going to feel obviously deflated at 12 psi. Even if they filled them to the bare minimum and went outside it would be about 11psi.

Quoted:
Wait for a neutral reporter to get info from a league source. All balls should have been confiscated if they suspected anything. All balls should be in the sole custody of the refs the entire game regardless.

Similar article from NFL.com. Source is an NFL Spokesperson.

link
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#21]
The Colts could have played with a soccer ball, a tennis ball, or an under inflated inner tube with the same result today.

eta: the local radio guy said it best this evening. "Asking who I want in the Super bowl, is like asking who I want between Rosie O'Donnell and Whopie Goldberg"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

haters gonna hate

View Quote
And the players gonna play, play, play.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
They needed a discount double check.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too soon bro.

Alright, that was good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#26]
OMG Spygates!!!

Patriot haters....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Wonder if we'll ever see a day again where people take responsibility for their actions? They lost badly. Just accept it. Nope instantly "they cheated". Sad..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I believe the article said they pulled at least one ball during the game and weighed it. I'm sure they weighed the rest after?

Prevents fumbles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prevents fumbles.

Weighed the balls?
Are you saying an inflated ball weighs more or less than an un-inflated ball?

Physics much?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Weighed the balls?

Physics much?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prevents fumbles.

Weighed the balls?

Physics much?

I don't know what they did. I'm just posting what is in the article.

"The league has guidelines on how much pressure the ball must have — between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch, weighing between 14 and 15 ounces."

Tweet from one of the reporters

"I'm told at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it. Should hear more tomorrow on this subject."
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#30]
They weighed the balls to check for under inflation, eh?

Me thinks this guy might not be the best source for information.

I'd LOVE to be able to bag in the Pats, for doing something else fucked up, but I'm not sure this is it. Even IF the balls WERE under inflated, the Colts needed a hell of a lot more than a little more air, to get into that game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd LOVE to be able to bag in the Pats, for doing something else fucked up, but I'm not sure this is it. Even IF the balls WERE under inflated, the Colts needed a hell of a lot more than a little more air, to get into that game.
View Quote

That guy may not be - but an NFL spokesperson confirmed they were investigating. Maybe instead of weighing the ball they checked the air pressure. Either way the ball left the field of play.

I don't think anyone is saying it would have helped the Colts win - but cheating is cheating.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Air is up to 78% nitrogen.  They are using nitrogen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't know what they did. I'm just posting what is in the article.

"The league has guidelines on how much pressure the ball must have — between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch, weighing between 14 and 15 ounces."

Tweet from one of the reporters

"I'm told at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it. Should hear more tomorrow on this subject."
View Quote

Yeah, the guy reporting this either doesn't know what he's talking about or doesn't know what they were checking for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That guy may not be - but an NFL spokesperson confirmed they were investigating. Maybe instead of weighing the ball they checked the air pressure. Either way the ball left the field of play.

I don't think anyone is saying it would have helped the Colts win - but cheating is cheating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying cheating isn't cheating, but I AM saying the guy reporting this doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

Goes to credibility. What other stuff does he have wrong? What else is he leaving out?

I have no issues with believing the Pats might have done something against the rules, but I'm not taking just this guy's word on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#35]
^^ He is just a reporter - you don't have to take his word for it. The NFL spokesperson is the one you should listen to - and he confirms that there was something fuck-y and there's an investigation going on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I just find it ironic that there is such blatant disregard for weights and measures nomenclature on a website where people take hostile offense at misidentifying a magazine as a clip in casual plinking when the topic here involves literally BILLIONS of dollars in endorsements and advertising.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Article says the ref's checked the balls at half time, and allowed play to continue.  Should be nothing to see here and if there is, I'd love to know why the refs didn't find it at half time.  Officials contol the balls for the game, not the teams, so they should have been able to check any time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#40]
As the great Jimmy Johnson once said, " If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin."
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A wet pigskin ball will change the weight more than air pressure changes.

Then mud in the laces. Goes on and on. About as lame as the drilling on Oak Island.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
haters gonna hate

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. And 22% other gasses that are easily compressed. Thanks for the 5th grade science lesson.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
haters gonna hate

Shake it off
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#45]
the colts got their asses whipped...

that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the pressures were "adjusted" - and even if they weren't, this will become part of the media build up to the game...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Did you know that if you put 75lbs. of air into all four of your pickup truck tires, you also have to remember to reduce your payload by 300lbs.?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#47]
i've always wondered if for cold, outdoor games, they air them up in the ambient temp they'll be playing in to get the right psi or if they use.  seems that kick-offs in cold weather dont have that 'pop' that they do indoors
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I hate the Pats as much of the next guy, but the Colts earned that score.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually.. their season of suffering did end.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Did you know that if you put 75lbs. of air into all four of your pickup truck tires, you also have to remember to reduce your payload by 300lbs.?
View Quote

Good tip,  Also if you might be hauling too much an are in a fatal accident (killing someone else obviously) Always let the air out of all your tires first to reduce the risk of being over weight.  It also helps if you are close to the limit or possibly slightly over and come up to a weigh station, just let some air out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top