Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 2:01:16 PM EDT
I had always thought that any offense carrying a potential sentence of more than one year you were convicted of automatically disabled you federally from owning a gun.

It reads:

"Federal law establishes the baseline regarding the types of persons who are ineligible to purchase firearms. The federal Gun Control Act of 1968, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922, generally prohibits the sale or posesession of firearms to any person who:

Has been convicted of, or is under indictment for, a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year"

Then i was reading this for a client who was also confused.

The term "crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” does not include

(A) any federal or state offenses pertaining to antitrust violations,
unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses
relating to the regulation of business practices, or

(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the state as a
misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or
less.
18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20). The term also does not apply to certain
situations where the person has had his or her eligibility restored. See id. [?]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had always thought that any offense carrying a potential sentence of more than one year you were convicted of automatically disabled you federally from owning a gun.
It reads:
"Federal law establishes the baseline regarding the types of persons who are ineligible to purchase firearms. The federal Gun Control Act of 1968, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922, generally prohibits the sale or posesession of firearms to any person who:

Has been convicted of, or is under indictment for, a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year"

The term "crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” does not include
(A) any federal or state offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices, or
(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less. 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20). The term also does not apply to certain situations where the person has had his or her eligibility restored. See id. [?]
View Quote

Want me to confuse you even more?

Not all federal crimes are felonies (see Wesley Snipes).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought charges with sentencing guidelines exceeding 1 year in prison is what defined a felony offense?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought charges with sentencing guidelines exceeding 1 year in prison is what defined a felony offense?
View Quote
It was/is what defines a disabling of firearm rights, not the felony, felony is used so much because they for the most part are all over that one year sentence at a bare min.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It reads:

(A) any federal or state offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices, or

(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less. 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20). The term also does not apply to certain situations where the person has had his or her eligibility restored. See id. [?]

It can be a misdemeanor exceeding one year in jail that can disable your gun rights.

(but not if the state law says)

"State offense classified by the laws of the state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Two+ years  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It reads:

It can be a misdemeanor exceeding one year in jail that can disable your gun rights.

"State offense classified by the laws of the state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less.

Two+ years  
According to the federal statute it is based partly on what that state law says.

(A)
any federal or state offenses pertaining to antitrust violations,
unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses
relating to the regulation of business practices, or

(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less.
18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20). The term also does not apply to certain
situations where the person has had his or her eligibility restored.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It reads:

IIRC, federal misdemeanors only come with one year sentences.

You can be sentenced consecutively though, as Snipes was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top