Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:44:24 PM EDT
I've been shopping for a power tool lately and happened to notice a CL ad with the exact tool I'm looking for and for about $70 cheaper than new anywhere else. The ad shows a stock photo from Home Depot and the description is LNIB. The ad lists a bunch of prices from home improvement places for comparison.

My reservations start at the stock photo. Why not a picture of the actual product? Most phones have a camera function. He was able to post a pic from the HD webpage. Just lazy?

My next reservation is his communications.
Me: I noticed you had a XXX for sale on CL last week. Do you still have it, how old and does it have any warranty?
Him: No warranty.
Me: So you still have it? Can we meet sometime tomorrow?
Him: Yes.
Me: When would be good?
Him: I have to be somewhere in the morning, but will be back later.
Me: So around 3 maybe? I have to pick something up in town at the hardware store, can you meet me there?
Him: I'll be at my house nearby at 3 pm <Address> <Phone number>

So that's odd that he either insists on meeting at his house or prefers it. The wife says that's a bad part of town, so I google earth and yep, looks bad. The house sold recently on HUD, so he may be fixing it up.

TL/DR: LNIB tool for almost half price sends up red flag. Meeting at his house in a bad neighborhood sends up red flag. Odd communications sends up red flag. No Fo?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a few friends and lots of guns.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
$70 seems like a bargain for a warranty and not getting robbed at gun point...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The little man in my head said the same. Maybe I should listen to him sometime?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Any mention of crabmeat or model trains?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably this, $70 isn't worth the hasel sometimes. Just go by HD and get tool.
Do job and be done.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

now if hes willing to meet you at somewhere very public then it would be a solid "maybe"

but at home....nah i'd pass
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Pass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
time to use all of that gear you have been buying due to threads here in GD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a gun and don't go alone.

Thieves look for easy targets. If you show up with a couple buddies odds are even if the guy was originally planning on robbing you he will move on to the next target.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh seems like a pretty average craiglist deal/communication
People are lazy and just steal pics from net
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I am naive but I have done probably 50 craigslist deals both buying and selling and 90% of the time it is at someone's house. Sometimes I meet people somewhere public if it is a small item but usually I am buying and selling big shit like welders, trailers, 4 wheelers, etc that ain't exactly easy to lug around.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh seems like a pretty average craiglist deal/communicationPeople are lazy and just steal pics from net
View Quote

That is my other thought; maybe I'm just interpreting this all wrong and GD has made me paranoid. The price seems pretty cheap for a LNIB power tool though and he never gave any explanation as to why It's for sale. If I had a LNIB barely used tool for sale, I would probably give an explanation as to why I'm selling it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe I am naive but I have done probably 50 craigslist deals both buying and selling and 90% of the time it is at someone's house. Sometimes I meet people somewhere public if it is a small item but usually I am buying and selling big shit like welders, trailers, 4 wheelers, etc that ain't exactly easy to lug around.
View Quote

Same here.  Take a gun and keep your head on a swivel.  No need to pay the extra $70 because you're afraid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
time to use all of that gear you have been buying due to threads here in GD.
View Quote

lol...do you think NVDS would help in this situation?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh seems like a pretty average craiglist deal/communicationPeople are lazy and just steal pics from net
View Quote

Agree. I've dealt with people on CL that seemed sort of flaky over text but were squared away in person. Don't see anything in that conversation that would send up a red flag. The usual precautions apply of course.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The guy doesn't have the tool. He will steal the tool and then sell it to you at the meeting. Unless you are a free pressure washer kinda guy; I say bail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I dunno. I do a lot of CL business. You do find lazy people a lot that put up overly simple ads, respond with as few words as possible, and generally don't pay much attention to your questions or concerns. It used to bother me but I had several deals work out alright.

If you are concerned, just ask to meet at a nearby store parking lot or something. If he says yes, problem solved. If he says no then you know something is fishy and don't want to go.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Ask for a pic of the actual tool for sale, and meet in a public place. If neither of those happen, no deal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I never meet ANYONE at their house, public place with people around and I carry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Just opening CL in your browser should be a red flag. My wife was looking at houses on CL because we're moving soon and as soon as she showed me I closed the browser and said, "Nope." I don't give a shit how awesome the deal is. CL is nothing more than a hive of scum and villainy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just opening CL in your browser should be a red flag. My wife was looking at houses on CL because we're moving soon and as soon as she showed me I closed the browser and said, "Nope." I don't give a shit how awesome the deal is. CL is nothing more than a hive of scum and villainy.
View Quote

I have had great luck on craigslist. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe you can sell something on there and find money for a membership.

I've bought and sold a TON on Craigslist.  Sure, there are some bad apples on there but the far majority I have had good dealings with.  I am constantly on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Another mystery item.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really, I have met many people who are decent and normal there, I've given away free stuff, bought stuff etc. One does need to be careful but its not all scumbags on there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I never meet ANYONE at their house, public place with people around and I carry.
View Quote

What this guy said.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got back from running errands in town and decided to swing by the guys house. Add some kids bikes, a fully decorated Christmas tree, a sink and some old tires to this pic and you get the idea.

So I passed on the great deal. I don't buy stolen stuff and given the item in question, I'd give it about a 90% chance of having grew legs and walked off a job site.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just got back from running errands in town and decided to swing by the guys house. Add some kids bikes, a fully decorated Christmas tree, a sink and some old tires to this pic and you get the idea.
http://koam.images.worldnow.com/images/21937317_BG1.jpg

So I passed on the great deal. I don't buy stolen stuff and given the item in question, I'd give it about a 90% chance of having grew legs and walked off a job site.
View Quote

Theres that red flag. A big one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top