Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:12:22 PM EDT
I'm thinking of seeing it in theaters. Should I?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  It's good to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It was good. 4/5
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was good. 4/5
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
....and ARFCOM has no consensus on ANY subject , least of all a war movie.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked but as much as I hate being that guy- the book was better.

If you enjoyed the movie but havent read the book do it. Much more detail and a few hilarious incidents not covered in the movie.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was good, so far as modern war movies go.

Hollywood will naturally make mistakes with anything on this subject matter, and this movie is no different.

For that reason, 4/5.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
It is a mediocre movie at best and without the back story of Kyle, including his untimely and tragic demise, I don't think it would be nearly as well regarded.

There was way too much in it that made me WTF, Marines were portrayed as bumbling dolts and his spotter was made out to be a coward (Kyle went to clear houses and the spotter said something like "No fuck that, those guys picked the wrong job, I like my life"), calling home on a sat phone at all sorts of ridiculous times, two click first round head shot on his sniper rival, there's more but I don't remember it all.

If it wasn't the story of Chris Kyle it would be a very forgettable movie, but because it is about Kyle it will favorably color many people's perceptions.

I did not read the book, so I have no dog in the movie vs book fight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is a mediocre movie at best and without the back story of Kyle, including his untimely and tragic demise, I don't think it would be nearly as well regarded.

There was way too much in it that made me WTF, Marines were portrayed as bumbling dolts and his spotter was made out to be a coward (Kyle went to clear houses and the spotter said something like "No fuck that, those guys picked the wrong job, I like my life"), calling home on a sat phone at all sorts of ridiculous times, two click first round head shot on his sniper rival, there's more but I don't remember it all.

If it wasn't the story of Chris Kyle it would be a very forgettable movie, but because it is about Kyle it will favorably color many people's perceptions.

I did not read the book, so I have no dog in the movie vs book fight.
View Quote

Yup.  I was thoroughly underwhelmed.  And the fake recoil absolutely killed me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Too many people inflating their scores because the movie involves a Navy SEAL/military IMO.

Wouldn't give the movie any more than 3/5. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. Mediocre from both authenticity and cinematics perspectives. Truth aside, biggest problem of the movie is the audio. The Star Wars sound effects of the supressors really is disrupting given that they are heard throughout the whole movie. Not sure why in 2015 this problem still exists.

Bottom line is see the movie as there are worst things your money could go to
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it was good. Probably the only movie I have seen where the theater was absolutely silent as people left. It was very telling about how powerful the movie was.

One scene is was really looking forward to was not in the film. It would have been an interesting addition to show them busting in to find the blond haired blue eyed Chechens prep airing to fight. The enemy is not always obvious...

Edit: yes fake recoil, spotlessly clean trucks and other wtf's existed. You have to remember that we are in the minority as far as technical knowledge on these subjects. This film was made for the gp. Based on the response at our theater the message hit home, hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, it was good. Probably the only movie I have seen where the theater was absolutely silent as people left. It was very telling about how powerful the movie was.

One scene is was really looking forward to was not in the film. It would have been an interesting addition to show them busting in to find the blond haired blue eyed Chechens prep airing to fight. The enemy is not always obvious...

Edit: yes fake recoil, spotlessly clean trucks and other wtf's existed. You have to remember that we are in the minority as far as technical knowledge on these subjects. This film was made for the gp. Based on the response at our theater the message hit home, hard.
View Quote

I saw it last night.  3.5/5   Agree with the comments already posted.  I thought the book was excellent, better than the movie.  Agree there were some humorous incidents that should have been in the movie.  Crowd was quiet at the end of the showing I went to as well.  Very glad they showed real guys with real injuries at the end.  I never served, and have come to regret it.  I have developed a deep respect and admiration for all who serve/served, esp you guys who were in combat.  Found out a few years ago I had a great-uncle who served with Patton.  Never knew that, and consequently never asked him about it.  He's gone now.  Hopefully all vets will leave some aspect of their stories behind for all to learn from.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
"Arfcom consensus"

Now THATS funny!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It was good.  Really good.  

I will be checking this thread to add to my ignore list with the babbling idiots about hating it for obscure reasons.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm... how many American Sniper threads is GD gonna have?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hmmm... how many American Sniper threads is GD gonna have?  
View Quote
Lol one for every confirmed kill he had!

6 more threads to go!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
....and ARFCOM has no consensus on ANY subject , least of all a war movie.
View Quote

The only thing I can think of that most everyone here agrees with, is the fact that Gary Oldman is a great actor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm taking my 11 yr old son tomorrow.   Any good reason not to?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"Arfcom consensus"

Now THATS funny!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Arfcom consensus"

Now THATS funny!

yeah that ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#22]
4/5.  I liked it, but it wasn't perfect.  Like any war movie, there will be some bits of hollywood thrown in their that are total BS.. like repeatedly calling your wife on a sat phone while out on missions.  Not a spoiler, since that's in the trailer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I will be checking this thread to add to my ignore list with the babbling idiots about hating it for obscure reasons.  
View Quote

That's pretty funny.

You're going to ignore members who happen to disagree with your assessment of a mediocre movie.

Talk about living in an echo chamber to the nth degree.

How do you make it through most days interacting with people that don't agree with your version of cosmic alignment?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Movies are supposed to move you...

The crowd at the theater left like they had just attended a funeral.  Wife cried and I was choked up.

Yes, some technical stuff wasnt perfect BFD.  Without this movie most Americans wouldn't know his name.

I will be buying it once it comes out on BluRay.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#25]
i dont like going to movies anymore and paying 3 dollars for a bottle of water plus popcorn so ill wait for dvd release
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I gave it a 4 as they left some good stuff out that was in the book.

I HIGHLY recommend you read the book.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That's pretty funny.

You're going to ignore members who happen to disagree with your assessment of a mediocre movie.

How do you make it through most days interacting with people that don't agree with your version of cosmic alignment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty funny.

Ignoring people for their opinion of a movie would be a bit extreme, but probably no less extreme than ignoring the overwhelming response to the movie.  The solemn silence as everyone stayed for the credits, the quiet as everyone walks out... sorry, NOT the mark of a "mediocre" movie.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Yet another "OMG SEALs are teh awesome" movie that mocks the rest of the military as somehow inferior while glossing over the glaring mistakes made both professionally and morally in their storytelling.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's pretty funny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty funny.

More based on the obscure reasons to hate the movie.  4 already have made the list.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#30]
3/5 for me, and I generally give a pass to the hollywood bullshit.

No one was 'silent' at the end of it and most left at the end of the show without waiting for the credits to end.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was good. 4/5

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Its worth seeing just because I think it needs to be seen. But I didnt think it was a very good movie in itself. Great story. Great American. Poorly produced movie. 2/5 stars
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I hope it is better than the book.  I like to read and can usually finish a good book within a week.  That one took 3 weeks because it was so choppy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It was good. 4/5
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Its worth seeing just because I think it needs to be seen. But I didnt think it was a very good movie in itself. Great story. Great American. Poorly produced movie. 2/5 stars
View Quote

I would love to hear what you consider a "good" movie.

I loved it and I'll agree, no one spoke a word the whole way out of the theater and no one stood up before the credits were over.  Even after that, people seemed to give it a moment before leaving.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]
3/5

In the movie,  Kyle"s bullets travel at the speed of light. Bad guy is hundreds or yards away. He takes the shot,  and the bad guy instantly drops. I also though a lot of the "military" acting was horrible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I liked it. 4/5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top