BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One was used in some kind of robbery so it'll be a big deal now   http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/foghorn/breaking-ca-man-charged-owning-sbr-pistol-brace-equipped-ar-15/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After reading about the guy in California who got charged for having one I bet once they become common knowledge we will start seeing arrests under state laws as cops spread memeos around about the terror of time rifles

Ya' think?
One was used in some kind of robbery so it'll be a big deal now   http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/foghorn/breaking-ca-man-charged-owning-sbr-pistol-brace-equipped-ar-15/

Didn't California basically decriminalize crime though recently? Probably will get a 150 dollar ticket plus court costs. IIRC I think it's better now to claim you stole a gun than to be the owner of an illegally configured weapon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After reading about the guy in California who got charged for having one I bet once they become common knowledge we will start seeing arrests under state laws as cops spread memeos around about the terror of time rifles
View Quote

Just wait until a school or mall shooter uses one.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It shouldn't be surprising.  Gun owners have a nasty habit of stabbing each other in the back.  Whether its the hunting and sporting clays crowd saying people don't need EBR's or the stamp collectors not liking a work around for those seeking entry into their exclusive club.

I'm not saying all the stamp guys think this way by the way, but there are certainly some that do.

View Quote

We categorize them into a specific category called FUDDS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya' think?

Would have thought that this being illegal, that fellow would not have used it in the commission of a felony.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, something bad did happen. The ATF made an arbitrary, and capricious opinion letter ruling regarding not only the Sig brace, but firearms in general

I have been a lurker here for the better part of 10 years, mostly the tech side, but recently discovered GD, and just had to weigh in on this subject...

To preface my post, I am an attorney for the SEC. I own 2 sig braced pistols. Both sold from the factory with the brace. 1 Sig 516 10.5" barrel with brace, and an Arsenal Sam7K-03 10.5" barrel with brace.

I would like to say it has been very interesting reading the 1500 threads on this subject. Mostly perpetuation of false or highly convoluted information, twisted to fit the posters view points.

One thing is certain. The ATF has made two rulings in the form of opinion regarding law enforcement of regulated firearms.

1.) Firearms are classified by their use, as opposed to their appearance(intent within)
2.) All previous letters on the subject are null and void.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
continued...
In regards to 1.) The ATF has brilliantly altered the definition of the word "redesign". Without going into too much detail, this was done purposefully, and quite brilliantly and foolishly all at the same time. Brilliant in that all definitions of firearms require the word "remake" within them as to define boundaries in which something can now be regulated by them. Hence, their use of "remake" to regulate the sig brace.  Foolishly, in that now they have opened up a can of worms in regards to literally every regulated firearm definition. (Im not quite sure yet if they have fully thought this out). Most foolish however is their blatant shopping for a definition via the 2005 webster college dictionary volume two. This is what will lose this battle for them should it be brought to court.

In regards to 2.) Any previous ruling  opinion on the brace is null and void. Meaning this is a shoestring like situation all over again. To put this letter in context however we must dissect how and where the ATF both derives its power and how they implement it. First and foremost, the ATF does not make law, they simply enforce it. Laws passed by congress under the ATF charter, are enforced by the ATF. Their opinions are just that. Opinions. They carry Zero legal merit until they are brought to court and a ruling is made, thus making precedence. Another thing to note, ATF letters only apply to the correspondent in which the ATF, and letter itself itself are addressing. Saying its an "Open letter" has no legal bearing on the situation.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
continued...

The main focus should be on the ATF's purpose in this case. They want to stop people from skirting their tax policy for registered and regulated weapons. They have aimed to do so via changing the definition "redesign" to align with their interpretation of a regulated weapon, in this case an SBR.

The main thing to note, none of this has any precedence at all until it is tried in court. The ATF have played these cards exactly before(shoe string machine-gun). They lost then, and they will lose now should this be tried. This is simply being used in its simplest form as a scare tactic from a law enforcement agency. I'm sad to say it appears to be working pretty well so far.

Many have brought up the Atkins Accelerator case, although it does not play into this situation at all as that device was modified before it was sold. and sold in a different fashion than what ATF approved at the time. The sig brace was approved, and was sold unmodified to its approval configuration. It was, and is held up in court, that an objects classification does not change, excluding its use in a crime(IE burglarious tools). Thus, the redesign of the word "Redesign".

You see, in order for your brace to magically turn into a stock once shouldered, you must be committing a crime, when shouldering it. So, They have changed to word "redesign" to jive with their definition of manufacturing a rifle from a pistol with a barrel shorter than 16". This is the brilliant part.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
continued...

The foolish part, is that they have been entirely consistent before this letter. In my circumstance, for instance. I bought 2 pistols from the factory with a brace. I bought them knowing they were pistols, and intended to be fired with the use of one hand. Although, I also knew that using it not as directed, was not illegal, as I was committing no crime. I know many here have built their pistols, and although the same applies, intent can be more vigorously questioned within these circumstances.

The foolishness peaks at where the ATF blatantly sought to redefine a word in order to make a crime out of using an approved item not as directed. This is where it will crumble for them, as it has before. But a trial will be required for it to be ruled upon.

Back to the brilliance... The scare tactic. SO who will be the first case? No one wants to come under the full weight and power of an arm of the federal government. Its sad that tis is happening. But it must! In order to prove once and again the ATF cannot enforce arbitrary and capricious rulings on the public based on their own opinions and rulings. The extent of their power ends at the enforcement. They can arrest you, and have you tried for the crime, but can their opinions hold it court. The answer is NO! Legal bills and efforts are very expensive, no doubt, in both time and money, but are they more expensive than the loss of freedom?  That is the question I leave you with.

This is a blatant scare tactic. Be wise. Use your approved non shoulder stock however you wish on your pistol. If The ATF wishes to prosecute, I imagine many will donate to the cause. I now i personally would donate not only money but any legal efforts I can as well. I hope this post has helped. What must be done, must be done. And just like anything involving the Fed Gov, it will be a PITA, but freedom is at stake once again. It may be a small piece of the pie, but its still  a piece of the pie!

-George

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Justice Roberts did bring up with train of thought.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya' think?

I think the whole $200 stamp to put a stock on my pistol is a joke in the first place.   For two, in cases like this, where a robbery is committed, the guy could of easily put an adjustable stock on it, made it lighter, and have that thing that goes up. Having the sig brace on it is almost a crutch, to what it could be. You could look at the fact that he used a legal firearm to commit a crime in terms of being charged, but really?

I am not thinking about all firearms, so my point can be watered down a bit, but again, I am just not a fan of the law in general....Now off to fill out my trust papers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
continued...

The foolish part, is that they have been entirely consistent before this letter. In my circumstance, for instance. I bought 2 pistols from the factory with a brace. I bought them knowing they were pistols, and intended to be fired with the use of one hand. Although, I also knew that using it not as directed, was not illegal, as I was committing no crime. I know many here have built their pistols, and although the same applies, intent can be more vigorously questioned within these circumstances.

The foolishness peaks at where the ATF blatantly sought to redefine a word in order to make a crime out of using an approved item not as directed. This is where it will crumble for them, as it has before. But a trial will be required for it to be ruled upon.

Back to the brilliance... The scare tactic. SO who will be the first case? No one wants to come under the full weight and power of an arm of the federal government. Its sad that tis is happening. But it must! In order to prove once and again the ATF cannot enforce arbitrary and capricious rulings on the public based on their own opinions and rulings. The extent of their power ends at the enforcement. They can arrest you, and have you tried for the crime, but can their opinions hold it court. The answer is NO! Legal bills and efforts are very expensive, no doubt, in both time and money, but are they more expensive than the loss of freedom?  That is the question I leave you with.

This is a blatant scare tactic. Be wise. Use your approved non shoulder stock however you wish on your pistol. If The ATF wishes to prosecute, I imagine many will donate to the cause. I now i personally would donate not only money but any legal efforts I can as well. I hope this post has helped. What must be done, must be done. And just like anything involving the Fed Gov, it will be a PITA, but freedom is at stake once again. It may be a small piece of the pie, but its still  a piece of the pie!

-George

View Quote

Thank you for these posts.

It's nice to hear from the law side rather than the rumor side.

And your post provides hope!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Based on comments by many SBR owners both here and elsewhere, it's just painfully obvious that there is a segment of that group that at the very least was highly irritated that people found a way to avoid paying the $200.00 tax on SBR's.

ETA:  Basically the comments these guys are making is "hahaha..good..now suck it up and pay for the stamp like the rest of us did"

disgusting behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It got a bunch of SBR owners butt hurt.

Why would SBR owners get butt hurt over the SIG brace?

Based on comments by many SBR owners both here and elsewhere, it's just painfully obvious that there is a segment of that group that at the very least was highly irritated that people found a way to avoid paying the $200.00 tax on SBR's.

ETA:  Basically the comments these guys are making is "hahaha..good..now suck it up and pay for the stamp like the rest of us did"

disgusting behavior.

You seem to be focused on that 'segment.'  Who cares that some people got butt-hurt?  I paid $200 for a real stock because I wanted a real stock, not some plasticky, gimmicky thing that may or may not have been developed as a way for poor people to enjoy shooting short-barreled rifles.  I don't give a rat's ass whether brace owners buy them and attache them to a pistol, or use them to beat their dogs.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

continued...

Legal bills and efforts are very expensive, no doubt, in both time and money, but are they more expensive than the loss of freedom?  That is the question I leave you with.

-George

View Quote

And I ask you this:  Which lawyers (who are capable of arguing before the US Supreme Court) are willing to work pro bono on any case involving the use of the brace to shoulder-mount a 'pistol'?

Attorneys do not suffer great financial hardship when they represent a client in an important test case - at least relative to the financial ruin that can befall a common man who chooses to make a stand against the mighty DOJ.

(Nothing personal - and thanks for your spin on the issue...)

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did not see that, not surprised.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It got a bunch of SBR owners butt hurt.

Why would SBR owners get butt hurt over the SIG brace?

disgusting behavior.
Did not see that, not surprised.  

I'm sure there's more than one" SIG brace I told you so" type thread that you can read where there are some SBR owners celebrating the decision and posting pics of their SBRs to try to rub it I.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Thank you for these posts.

It's nice to hear from the law side rather than the rumor side.

And your post provides hope!

That was my intent. Forget about the people who are dog piling on misinformation. The fact is, the ATF is not only wrong, but has way over stepped their bounds. This WILL be an issue in a court soon. Its too big of a decision not to be.

Everyone who is deathly scared the ATF will descend upon you for using your brace however you want, why don't you hold the phone, and change your diapers for a minute.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And I ask you this:  Which lawyers (who are capable of arguing before the US Supreme Court) are willing to work pro bono on any case involving the use of the brace to shoulder-mount a 'pistol'?

Attorneys do not suffer great financial hardship when they represent a client in an important test case - at least relative to the financial ruin that can befall a common man who chooses to make a stand against the mighty DOJ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
continued...

Legal bills and efforts are very expensive, no doubt, in both time and money, but are they more expensive than the loss of freedom?  That is the question I leave you with.

-George

Several I know in Virginia are gun owners and would gladly take this case up. Maybe not entirely free, but they will donate their time for free. Putting the case together and experts are the true cost in trials.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Heavily overhauled, yes. Still want it a bit harder for street thugs to get subguns than Hi-Points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, for months now guys have been purchasing SIG Braces and shouldering Pistols.  

Nothing happened to society though. We haven't seen some rash of crimes using concealed AR pistols or their like.  So far outside of the gun community you'd hardly know that people were shouldering pistols with SIG Braces.

Doesn't this conclusively prove once and for all that the NFA restrictions on SBR's are bullshit? If the reasons the NFA was implemented were valid shouldn't there have been some rash of crimes with all these SIG Braced firearms?

The NFA needs to be repealed or at the very least heavily amended. It's progressive era bullshit that only serves to frustrate law abiding citizens, which is now more crystal clear than ever before thanks to SIG and the ATF.

Heavily overhauled, yes. Still want it a bit harder for street thugs to get subguns than Hi-Points.

If a criminal wants an SBR, he will make or get one somehow. criminals don't care about gun laws. Which is why gun control laws don't stop crime, they disarm law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I came here to post this... The .gov didn't get their cut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The worst thing happened!  Our government was not able to collect tax revenue from all those "illegal"  SBRs.

I came here to post this... The .gov didn't get their cut

I doubt they even care about $200. Gun laws are all about the government controlling the people.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#20]
So, why doesn't Ted Cruz and/or Rand Paul say "this is proof this law absolutely doesn't do anything other than frustrate law abiding citizens" and work to repeal it?

Seems like any reasonable people at this point would say "look this law doesn't make a hill of beans difference regarding crime and the tax revenue isn't enough to fund the man power currently devoted to enforcing/regulating it so why not just call it a day and repeal this useless thing."  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top