Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2014 12:55:59 PM EDT
I think it is.

Live by your wits, evade marauding savages, survive off the bounty of the land (dumpsters), brave the elements.

They deserve our respect as frontiersmen.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
no    
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Secret dream of yours?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mountain men went grizzly bear hunting with shitty rifles and once in a while had a product to sell in town.  Street bums might have to fight a mean rat on the worst of the days.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mountain men went grizzly bear hunting with shitty rifles and once in a while had a product to sell in town.  Street bums might have to fight a mean rat on the worst of the days.
View Quote

Two legged rats are more dangerous than bears.

ETA feral dog packs are pretty dangerous.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
How many "mountain men" had food pantries/ homeless shelter services and intersections to panhandle at?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How many "mountain men" had food pantries/ shelters and intersections to panhandle at?
View Quote

They had get togethers and hospitality, especially in the spring.   It's also where they sold/traded their furs.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't cheat the city, pilgrim. City's got it's own ways.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They had get togethers and hospitality, especially in the spring.   It's also where they sold/traded their furs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many "mountain men" had food pantries/ shelters and intersections to panhandle at?

"get togethers'

Yea, i'm sure they did.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I would agree to some extent.

I grew up in a area that had quite a few homeless.

Most were junkies/drunks but a few actually wanted that life and chose to be there for whatever reason.

Those few usually roamed the river and railway area.  A mix of small forest lots, overgrown factories 2 major rivers and a major rail line.

I too bummed in those spots and got to know a lot of them.  

I learned a lot about life from those people.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it is.

Live by your wits, evade marauding savages, survive off the bounty of the land (dumpsters), brave the elements.

View Quote

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say this has something to do with a conversation you had with a democrat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Aren't most homeless usually very mentally ill and or battling addiction?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it is.

View Quote

only if you live in Fergidishu
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
No.  Being a modern day urban homeless guy is the equivalent of being a modern urban homeless guy.  Apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
They are the marauding savages.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The true mountain men were entrepreneurs. They were there for the beaver because of the felt hat rage in Europe.

They were there to make money, by an large. Some were running from society or the law or civilization. Most were there seeking their fortune.

So, even at the basic level, the intent of the bum and the MM are totally different.

Add to that the skills necessary, lack of society's support, etc and there's not much of a comparison beyond dealing with the elements.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aren't most homeless usually very mentally ill and or battling addiction?
View Quote

John Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnston wasn't exactly what we'd call sane by modern standards.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But they couldn't just throw in the towel and stroll down to the local shelter to get warm and get a free meal.

Homeless have safety nets a mountain man could have imagined...or used.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Mountain men did that to make money by procuring something people actually wanted.

Bums provide nothing but a nuisance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just finished watching Jeremiah Johnson. No, homeless aren't mountain men.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I think most homeless have a mental condition or addiction they cant beat.

being the equivalent of a mountain man-NO
if they want that, they can still go off to the wilderness.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Wouldn't a modern day mountain man be more of an equivalent than a city bum?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#25]
A mountain made made his cabin, fed himself, clothed himself wanted to be self reliant and left alone.

Most homeless want handouts, soup kitchens and shelters at others expense.

An old time beggar or vagrant would be a better comparison.

If you went to an old time montain man's cabin and offered him a free coat and food he would run you off and tell you shove your charity.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#26]
"I, Hobo Jack, being of sound mind and empty pockets, do leavith my shopping cart to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he..."
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent the night on the street once in Chicago. My back was killing me too after sitting on concrete for 10 hours.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]
"Where you headed?"

"Same place you are, Jeremiah... prison, in the end."

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#29]
definitely not
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck no.  No Indians hunting you, nobody leaving food in a dumpster for you to scavenge, no shelters giving you 3 hots and a cot daily.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#31]

LOL
Not only NO but Hell NO
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"I, Hobo Jack, being of sound mind and empty pockets, do leavith my shopping cart to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he..."
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Mountain men had a brown bag with a donut and hot dog handed to them daily?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Del Gue: Ain't that Hobo Jack's shopping cart?

Jeremiah Johnson: Yep.

Del Gue: How did you get it?

Jeremiah Johnson: Saw him hauled off by the po-leeeece.

Del Gue: Damn! Hobo Jack was a wild one. He was livin' two years up in in a cardboard box under the off ramp...

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Definitely not.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Hugh Glass. Tell me how this relates to urban homeless.

Near the forks of the Grand River in present-day Perkins County, in August 1823, while scouting ahead of his trading partners for game for the expedition's larder, Glass surprised a grizzly bear
mother with her two cubs. Before he could fire his rifle, the bear
charged, picked him up, and threw him to the ground. The bear threw his
flesh to its cubs. Glass got up, grappled for his knife, and fought
back, stabbing the animal repeatedly as the grizzly raked him time and
again with her claws.

Glass managed to kill the bear with help from his trapping partners,
Fitzgerald and Bridger, but was left badly mauled and unconscious. Henry
(who was also with them) became convinced the man would not survive his
injuries.

Henry asked for two volunteers to stay with Glass until he died, and
then bury him. Bridger (then 19 years old) and Fitzgerald (then 23 years
old) stepped forward, and as the rest of the party moved on, began
digging his grave.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass#cite_note-1][1][/url] Later claiming that they were interrupted in the task by an attack by "Arikaree"[citation needed]
Indians, the pair grabbed Glass's rifle, knife, and other equipment,
and took flight. Bridger and Fitzgerald incorrectly reported to Henry
that Glass had died.

The Odyssey to Fort Kiowa

Despite his injuries, Glass regained consciousness. He did so only to
find himself abandoned, without weapons or equipment, suffering from a
broken leg, the cuts on his back exposing bare ribs, and all his wounds
festering. Glass lay mutilated and alone, more than 200 miles (320 km)
from the nearest American settlement at Fort Kiowa on the Missouri.

In one of the more remarkable treks known to history, Glass set his
own leg, wrapped himself in the bear hide his companions had placed over
him as a shroud, and began crawling. To prevent gangrene, Glass laid his wounded back on a rotting log and let the maggots eat the dead flesh.

Deciding that following the Grand River would be too dangerous
because of hostile Indians, Glass crawled overland south toward the
Cheyenne River using Thunder Butte, a prominent landmark visible for
miles, as a navigational tool. It would take him six weeks to reach the
Cheyenne River. Glass survived mostly on wild berries and roots. On one
occasion he was able to drive two wolves
from a downed bison calf, and feast on the meat. Aided by friendly
natives who sewed a bear hide to his back to cover the exposed wounds as
well as providing him with food and a couple of weapons to defend
himself, Glass eventually made his way to the Cheyenne River, fashioned a
crude raft and floated down the river eventually reaching the safety of
Fort Kiowa.

After a long recuperation, Glass set out to track down and avenge
himself against Bridger and Fitzgerald. When he found Bridger, on the
Yellowstone near the mouth of the Bighorn River,
Glass spared him, purportedly because of Bridger's youth. When he found
Fitzgerald, he discovered that Fitzgerald had joined the United States Army,
Glass purportedly restrained himself because the consequence of killing
a U.S. soldier was death. However, he did recover his lost rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#38]
His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a homeless man. Story goes that he was a man of excessive drink and talkin' to himself, suited to the streets. Nobody knows whereabouts he come from, don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall buildings didn't scare him none. He was lookin' for an HK gun, .45 caliber or better. He settled for a 9mm, but damn, it was a genuine HK. You couldn't go no better. Bought him a good bicycle, box of ammo, and other truck that went with bein' a homeless man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there in the suburbs.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#39]

No.

Did 1800's mountain men stand on the trails and roads with signs begging for money so they could go hit the saloons every night?

Did 1800's mountain men have their shelter, food, clothing and medical care all provided TOO them from the gov't at the time.

Not.

Even.

Close.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I've met a few that could qualify. Most notably was a gentleman I met camping on some vacant land in our town with a bicycle loaded down like a pack mule. Twenty years ago he lost his wife and kid and chose to give up a pretty lucrative job and comfortable lifestyle. He's been peddling around the country ever since. Every couple months he'll pick up a seasonal job to get some cash to buy pipe tobacco, but other than that he dumpster dives at supermarkets. He told me he is still too proud to panhandle or take charity. He just enjoys the freedom that his chosen lifestyle offers. He said he doesn't touch alcohol, has never used drugs, and has no history of mental illness. I spent about an hour talking to him, and it was by far one of the most interesting conversations I have ever had.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think it is.

View Quote

This may be the greatest anthropological concept of the 21st century  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've met a few that could qualify. Most notably was a gentleman I met camping on some vacant land in our town with a bicycle loaded down like a pack mule. Twenty years ago he lost his wife and kid and chose to give up a pretty lucrative job and comfortable lifestyle. He's been peddling around the country ever since. Every couple months he'll pick up a seasonal job to get some cash to buy pipe tobacco, but other than that he dumpster dives at supermarkets. He told me he is still too proud to panhandle or take charity. He just enjoys the freedom that his chosen lifestyle offers. He said he doesn't touch alcohol, has never used drugs, and has no history of mental illness. I spent about an hour talking to him, and it was by far one of the most interesting conversations I have ever had.
View Quote

Guy was probably thinking to himself: "how long is it going to take this square to hurry up and offer me $5 to suck his dick? Krogers throws out the day old bread in half an hour!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Guy was probably thinking to himself: "how long is it going to take this square to hurry up and offer me $5 to suck his dick? Krogers throws out the day old bread in half an hour!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legit LOL  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an example of a small portion of the nations homeless population that, much like the hobos that used to jump freight trains, live a truly free life.

The contrast, as stated earlier in the thread, most mountain men were entrepreneurs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I see what made you think so . but no

MM had skills and I doubt any of them got hooked on crack or heroin and oxys

and none of them depended on hand outs

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#46]
The original mountain men were trappers out to make their fortune.  They wandered the land, collected pelts (beaver gonna shine again) and became familiar with the lay of the land.  They later went on to lead explorers (Kit Carson led Fremont and others) or settlers.  So, they had a use in society.

The homeless, no use other than to test our charitable nature.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm going to go with FUCK NO. Mountain men had mad skills and worked their asses off, and weren't a bunch douchebags sitting at a trail intersection with a sign or otherwise begging and/or blowing the locals (Indians and bears and shit) for moonshine $ (since crack wasn't invented yet), or looking for a homeless shelter in a crow village. The lowlifes wandering our streets and eating out of trash cans would either be some kind of animal poop or have their unwashed scalps decorating a lodge pole, or both, in no-time flat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think pissing your pants and begging for change were typical "mountain man" activities
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I read something once about a guy, educated professional like a doc or lawyer, who tried living homeless for a few months as an experiment. I think he had a hard time going back to work and losing the freedom of doing whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top