Quoted:
Legit LOL  Thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've met a few that could qualify. Most notably was a gentleman I met camping on some vacant land in our town with a bicycle loaded down like a pack mule. Twenty years ago he lost his wife and kid and chose to give up a pretty lucrative job and comfortable lifestyle. He's been peddling around the country ever since. Every couple months he'll pick up a seasonal job to get some cash to buy pipe tobacco, but other than that he dumpster dives at supermarkets. He told me he is still too proud to panhandle or take charity. He just enjoys the freedom that his chosen lifestyle offers. He said he doesn't touch alcohol, has never used drugs, and has no history of mental illness. I spent about an hour talking to him, and it was by far one of the most interesting conversations I have ever had.

Guy was probably thinking to himself: "how long is it going to take this square to hurry up and offer me $5 to suck his dick? Krogers throws out the day old bread in half an hour!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Legit LOL  Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No

Mountain men were independent

Nuff said
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No

Nuff said
View Quote

Homeless people survive primarily off of foraging, not just soup kitchens.

That's a sort of independence.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
No. Thats an insult to Mountain men.

If they were really "Mountain Men", then they would go live in the mountains. Still enough National Forest/BLM left where one can disappear if they really wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No

Nuff said

Still dependent on people.

Get back to me when they are trapping/hunting ducks in the park.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
No, being homeless either by bad luck or choice equals being a bum. A bum in the 1800'S is still a bum in the 21st. century.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mountain men in winter:

1. Prepared for it all year long storing provisions, improving their shelter, stacking firewood, trapping anmals to trade and to make clothes out of.
2. Still might have died due to bad luck or an early waking grizz;y bear or somethuing. Actually, that also goes under bad luck I guess.
3. Were usually very antisocial and I would think smelled pretty atrocious.

Bums in winter:

1. Beg for food, hang around warming shelters, suck dicks for fve bucks so they can get that bottle of ripple they've been saving up for.
2. Might die anyway due to...well...being bums mostly.
3. Are usually very antisocial and from the ones that I've walked past they all stick.

So I am going wth about 40-50 percent similar.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Aren't most homeless usually very mentally ill and or battling addiction?
View Quote

I know one quite well. He knows everything yet is utterly stupid. It's a hilarious combination, if you think someone being dumb is humorous.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the laugh OP!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks for the laugh OP!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it is.

Live by your wits, evade marauding savages, survive off the bounty of the land (dumpsters), brave the elements.

They deserve our respect as frontiersmen.
View Quote

No welfare in the mountains.......
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is.

Live by your wits, evade marauding savages, survive off the bounty of the land (dumpsters), brave the elements.

It's all welfare in the mountains if you think about it, everything is free, they just take it from the original owners (the Indians).

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#13]

"I, Smack Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my shopping cart and contents to whatever finds it, Lord hope it be the bag lady who gave me BJs.

It is a good shopping cart, and killt the Dindu that killt me. Anyway, I am dead.

Yours truly, Smack Jack."

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
If 1800s Mountain Men were all mentally ill with 100% addiction rates to every fucked up substance known to man, comitted burglaries, thefts from vehicles, shoplifting, gang beatings for money/booze/crack, defecated on honest citizens' private property, walked around smelling like piss, bitched and moaned about "lack of services for the homeless", while fighting each other for a spot in line to a shelter that's paid for by gullible donors, then I suppose the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a homeless man. Story goes that he was a man of excessive drink and talkin' to himself, suited to the streets. Nobody knows whereabouts he come from, don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall buildings didn't scare him none. He was lookin' for an HK gun, .45 caliber or better. He settled for a 9mm, but damn, it was a genuine HK. You couldn't go no better. Bought him a good bicycle, box of ammo, and other truck that went with bein' a homeless man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there in the suburbs.

View Quote

>golf clap<
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]
So no account bums are equal to hard working trappers??????? You really think that???
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

John Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnston wasn't exactly what we'd call sane by modern standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aren't most homeless usually very mentally ill and or battling addiction?

John Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnston wasn't exactly what we'd call sane by modern standards.

Yeah, ol' Jeremiah didn't cook his liver in bacon fat.

I call the primitive and nuts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting perspective OP and one that I sort of understand. Now I'm going to ponder on this the rest of the day
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The true mountain men were entrepreneurs. They were there for the beaver because of the felt hat rage in Europe.

They were there to make money, by an large. Some were running from society or the law or civilization. Most were there seeking their fortune.

So, even at the basic level, the intent of the bum and the MM are totally different.

Add to that the skills necessary, lack of society's support, etc and there's not much of a comparison beyond dealing with the elements.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can't cheat the city, pilgrim. City's got it's own ways.

View Quote

Epic Smashy!

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I was offered a team hummer in exchange for six 40s by two chubby Native girls in a convenience store in Wolf Point, Montana, once.

Do I count as a mountain man?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I was offered a team hummer in exchange for six 40s by two chubby Native girls in a convenience store in Wolf Point, Montana, once.

Do I count as a mountain man?
View Quote

All depends on whether you closed the transaction.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
no    
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it is.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#25]
no.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say this has something to do with a conversation you had with a democrat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say this has something to do with a conversation you had with a democrat.

Cards on the table, yeah.

I have a 20 something, thoroughly propagandized first cousin who just recently completed her "education" at a prominent local ivy leauge school.
I used to do homeless outreach.

Most of them are severely mentally ill.

The ones who are not are there because of poor life choices: They are scum.

I stopped doing it because I had zero compassion for any of them, and to do that, you have to have compassion for the ones who deserve it (like the guy I was dealing with who was schizo, frostbite induced gangrene of the lower extremities).

So anyway, if you want to know the narrative, it's all about not only undermining "great" DWEMs of the past, now it's all of them.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So anyway, if you want to know the narrative, it's all about not only undermining "great" DWEMs of the past, now it's all of them.

View Quote

Those terrorists? Oppressive racists, the lot of them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"I, Hobo Jack, being of sound mind and empty pockets, do leavith my shopping cart to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he..."
View Quote

Should say that the "shopping cart dented the Buick that kilt me"

Not even close to being the same.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Christ No - not even close!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?

No
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

no    
View Quote

FPNI.

I like Primus, but this thread is

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

FPNI.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no    

FPNI.

Meh, it's good discussion material. There are plenty of misconceptions about each group. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to the rule in each group, too.

Plus it allows some to exercise their creativity.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Meh, it's good discussion material. There are plenty of misconceptions about each group. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to the rule in each group, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no    

FPNI.

That's true, GD is the best place on teh Interwebz to start threads like this.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]

I would have thought trolling like this was beneath you Op
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Not even close.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How many "mountain men" had food pantries/ homeless shelter services and intersections to panhandle at?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I would have thought trolling like this was beneath you Op
View Quote

I'm not trolling.   We are having a conversation.  Rhetoric allows for advancing a proposition you don't personally believe in to further the discussion.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think it is.

View Quote

Ah yes, the intrepid Urban Outdoorsman.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How many "mountain men" had food pantries/ homeless shelter services and intersections to panhandle at?
View Quote

I don't think they had "Homeless, need help" signs in their hands either.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#40]
"Cops put you here?"

"Tweren't Mormons!"

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lol.
Being a mountain man took an inordinate amount of skill, work, knowledge, and balls.
Urban homelessness requires a sharpie and poster board.
View Quote

Yep. Stupidity as a mountain man meant you just didn't show up with some furs to sell anymore. If being homeless was the modern day equivalent of being a mountain man, why  would homeless people almost always choose to be around communities of people? Pro-tip, it ain't because being a mountain man is not as easy as being homeless.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#42]
No, its a long reach trying to compare a man who never asked or expected any thing from anyone to a second/third generation welfare rat who laid in a corner licking his nuts (doing drugs and alcohol) and living of other people.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Hobo = beggar/bum
Mountain man = self sufficient/self employed
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top