Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 5:58:00 PM EDT
Replacing underground heating oil tank... basement or external for the new tank?  275 or 330?

Approx 1800sqft house with 1100 unfinished basement.

Are there positives and negatives for the options or a clear better solution?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Replacing underground heating oil tank... basement or external for the new tank?  275 or 330?

View Quote

Leave the tank outside that way if it is overfill or starts leaking your basement is not fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Leave the tank outside that way if it is overfill or starts leaking your basement is not fuck up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about basement with an external fill spout?  Read that external exposure will reduce the life of a tank.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How about basement with an external fill spout?  Read that external exposure will reduce the life of a tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If for some reason the tank in the basement leaks or ruptures the guy filling the tank can get a full tanker truck worth in the basement before he runs
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
^^^ That would be a shitty situation.  Clear upside to keeping fuel outside.  Do you have to heat an external tank?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend underground, outside.  Personally I would never put one in my basement.

No heating is not required.

ETA:  But then I have no idea where you live

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
do they make fiberglass tanks?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you find the regs for your state regarding UST's (underground storage tanks). The regs have been tightened up dramatically in the last few years. You also may have liability issues if your existing tank is leaking.

Any way to conver to gas?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would recommend underground, outside.  Personally I would never put one in my basement.

View Quote

North East
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make sure you find the regs for your state regarding UST's (underground storage tanks). The regs have been tightened up dramatically in the last few years. You also may have liability issues if your existing tank is leaking.

View Quote

Unfortunately no nat gas service in the area yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Your state and local government is seriously messed up if you don't have natural gas.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

North East
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

North East

Inside

Gelling of the fuel line does happen, and sucks
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That being the case, check out propane.

UST's can be huge issue, especially oil.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck underground.......I'm in the middle of having an underground 500 tank removed and certified what a fuxkjng nightmare.

I replaced it with an outside (under my deck) 330.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
My son had a stainless steel, double walled tank installed at his house a few years ago.  
It's outside, it's not ugly and I guess will it will outlast him.

This is on Long Island.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
One downside to an outdoor tank in the NE is the possibility of freeze ups during very cold weather.  Need to add kerosene to prevent that.  Another downside you alluded to , reduced service life of the tank.  Some folks think the tank is ugly on the outside.

Another thought is depending on your exact circumstance, security could be an issue.  Fuel oil is expensive and I know folks who have had their tank pumped out by thieves while they were away.

Mine is in the garage, which works very well for my situation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
get the bigger tank, that way you can fill it when prices are down in the summer months. Hell, if I had the space I would have 2- 330s.

If you decide to go outside you can build an enclosure around it to protect it from the elements.

If gelling becomes an issue just throw a 12 ounce bottle of hot shot in with every fill up.

You can insulate the enclosure as well (if you go that route).

I moved my tank outside a few years ago, built an enclosure insulated with 2" rigid foam and have not had gelling problems.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
As others have already said...do not put one in your basement.  Personally, I would put an above ground one in.  Make sure it's at least 12 guage steel and that it doesn't sit directly on the ground.  Keep it painted and you shouldn't have to worry about rust.  If you do have issues, you will see them faster than if it was underground.  

I know for a fact that in my area, there have been a couple of instances where basement tanks caused serious problems for the homeowners and for the oil company.  One a few years back was the homeowner replaced the oil furnace with a heat pump and evidently the oil company didn't get the message.  They were on automatic fill, so the oil truck shows up and proceeds to fill the tank through the outside fill port (which was still there).  After pumping over 300 gallons for a 275 gallon tank, the driver figured there might be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys.  Think I will go with 330 external and get an enclosure to protect against elements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top