Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 11:20:42 PM EDT
The hero in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/988015_My_CCW_Shooting_AAR__Now_with_More_Graphic_Pics_on_pg_29_and_30.html&page=33

said on page 33:

Thank God he didn't know about the ones designed for short barreled revolvers. I'd been screwed if any of those rounds had expanded, especially the one that just missed the subclavian artery.
View Quote

What round is he talking about?  The comment was made in 2011 and it's a huge thread (rightfully so), so I didn't post in it and ask a somewhat off topic question.  

My wife carries a S&W 38 snubby and is carrying hydra shok JHP +p.  What ammo is the OP referring to that is designed for short barrels?? Is there a better option?

Edit: Mods if this belongs in the handgun forum, please move it, didn't think about it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife carries .38 wadcutters in her 642.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of partial of Remington golden sabers myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gold Dot Short Barrel is what I carry in my 642. It uses a low-flash powder and the bullet was re-designed to expand at the lower velocities produced by a 2" barrel.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
speer makes a short barrel gold dot
View Quote

This. Good for G26/G27 as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These preform better than the hydra shok's she carries?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hydra shocks are obsolete. They don't work all that well in the longer barrel lengths they were designed for.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the information, I am sure I am going to need a flame suit for this but I had no idea what a wadcutter is.  Google searched it.  Is the idea that the projectile moves slower due to it's diameter but it starts out and remains it's full size the whole time?  Looks like a flat disk that doesn't expand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the information, I am sure I am going to need a flame suit for this but I had no idea what a wadcutter is.  Google searched it.  Is the idea that the projectile moves slower due to it's diameter but it starts out and remains it's full size the whole time?  Looks like a flat disk that doesn't expand.
View Quote

The name wadcutter came about from it's ability to cut a clean hole in the target to see.  
You are right, in that they are not known for expansion, however they can expand just a little, nothing like a HP.
They're high point is that have good penetration.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Winchesters train and defend line

and

Federal's Nyclads

Both were desinged to open reliably at low velocities. Of course we are talking about 38spl. But the semi wadcutter is supposed to tear a pretty good hole. Hell Elmer Kieth used the crap out of them killing all types of game before he desinged hollow points after his own origional Kieth semi wadcutters.

I loaded some 110gr XTP's to the max end of the standard pressure loads and they clock at over 750fps in my 2" S&W M60. I haven't done any testing on them with phone books but I imagine they will open up fine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#13]
The Federal Nyclad was specifically designed for use with 2 inch barrels. It's a 125 grain lead hollow point bullet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:31:40 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a differance between bullets designed to preform as good as they can from a poor situation, and rounds designed for short barrel revolvers.

.327 Federal is a round designed for a short barrel revolver.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#15]
The name wadcutter came about from it's ability to cut a clean hole in the target to see.

You are right, in that they are not known for expansion, however they can expand just a little, nothing like a HP.
View Quote

Now you take a standard 148 grn wad cutter and reload it backwards with the cavity meant to trap gas in front, that's a whole other game.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Buffalo bore stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top