Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 7:07:10 AM EDT
Since 6AM a pumper had been backing down my street, driving to the end and going back again with guys walking in front of it.

Sun up in 10 minutes. The incessant beeping will be worth the free defibrillator!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok star raider niner delta
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Spanner scavenger hunt
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Flushing hydrants?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Lost department issued cell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
neighbors have a fire??  Loading 5 inch hose?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you find anything?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone drop a radio?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Pressure washer?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a Jaws of Life generator come flying out the side compartment of a tiller piece once.

Thing probably weighed around 50-60 lbs.

If it had hit anyone or anything, it would have caused some ohhh-fuck damage.

Funniest one (I wasn't there), pumper dropped 800' of 4" line and a hydrant gate out on a busy street when returning
from the drill yard.

At the opposite end... I can't count how many times apparatus has gone out the door with bunker gear, cell phones, gym bags, coffee cups, etc
sitting on the front bumper and returned to quarters and the items were still there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
One of our guys managed to drop 100ft of " off the back of the engine on the freeway, at freeway speed.  12 or 13 cars damaged and a lengthy "Dear Chief" letter followed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At the opposite end... I can't count how many times apparatus has gone out the door with bunker gear, cell phones, gym bags, coffee cups, etc
sitting on the front bumper and returned to quarters and the items were still there.
View Quote

I set a couple pieces of mail on the bumper of my truck one day, got busy and forgot to grab them.
Little later, hopped in my truck and drove across town.
Got out of my truck and walked around it and there set the two envelopes I had forgotten to pick up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Someone drop a radio?

View Quote

Probably this.  They tend to get placed on the tailboard or front bumper when doffing coat & SCBA.  New Motorola APX 3.5 go for $7500 each.  Hydrant wrenches are easy to replace (steal) from another truck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Several years ago I saw a fire truck driving down the street, take a turn and lost some gear off the back. They kept going. I stopped my car, picked it up and dropped it off at the firehouse a few blocks away. Full set of pants and jacket. Looked pricey.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Someone drop a radio?

View Quote

Our ambulance director lost hers one shitty night at 2AM after a seriously horrible rollover on icy roads in the middle of winter.

She realized it on the way back from the hospital where she took the infant and said she would buy anyone that found it a steak dinner as she had looked for quite some time already.  I hopped out of the other ambulance and found it in about 60 seconds (no I didn't hide it)  I let her slide on the dinner as it was something like a $2K radio and she was a bit stressed out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had a Jaws of Life generator come flying out the side compartment of a tiller piece once.

Funniest one (I wasn't there), pumper dropped 800' of 4" line and a hydrant gate out on a busy street when returning
from the drill yard.

View Quote

Our pumper was going down the Interstate once (from what I was told) and had that happen with ~300ft of 5"
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Several years ago I saw a fire truck driving down the street, take a turn and lost some gear off the back. They kept going. I stopped my car, picked it up and dropped it off at the firehouse a few blocks away. Full set of pants and jacket. Looked pricey.

View Quote

At least $1K but probably more.  If it was an SCBA then you are talking $3K and up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
neighbors have a fire??  Loading 5 inch hose?
View Quote

Well, OP didn't admit to fapping, but it's possible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I've run a call and returned to quarters to find my glass of tea still on the Tailboard.

My Driver is a 28 year vet, he's smooth!

We've had engines lose 1200 feet of 5" on the interstate and at least once on  the causeway connecting the beach to the Mainland.

Neighboring Company dumped their entire 1200 feet  of supply line on the way to back us up on a ripping brush fire. Driver was the excitable type, hit the turn a little hard.

Haven't lost mine yet, although I have been up and down a street looking for my Helmet that I left on the front bumper....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One of our guys lost a PAS (roadside breathalyzer) he had left on his trunk.

It was turned in a week later with marijuana stuffed in the intake port. Evidently someone tried to use it to smoke a bowl.  
View Quote

I found a taser in a pistol box, with 2 extra cartidges on the road, right outside the police station. It had been run over, but survived. Desk cop was quite amused when i turned it in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One of our guys managed to drop 100ft of " off the back of the engine on the freeway, at freeway speed.  12 or 13 cars damaged and a lengthy "Dear Chief" letter followed.
View Quote

100 ft of what? Is " a noun now?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I have actually witnessed a fire truck loosing a huge ass ladder going down the road back in ~1997. That was entertaining, and heavy. I was pretty young though, like 14ish. Friend and I tried to pick it up, and it didn't move.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure what fell off but I found out after posting this AM why they were here

House full of shitbags at the end of my street got evicted and decided they really didn't want the security deposit

8 hours later

There's a SkyCop surveillance trailer at the end of my street. It's officially the ghetto.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I once went to a VERY busy EMS/three ring circus call, multiple patients from a frat house that tried that whole ammonia/bleach thing.   Something like  20 drunk frats transported.

One of the EMS crews left their gurney in the front drive with all their gear bags piled on it. .  It would not fit in the patrol car so I sat and guarded it until the ambulance came back. (In a hurry)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#26]
trying to keep the "stuff flying off of trucks" theme, when I was at tower school  at Sheppard AFB building a tower about 200' tall we were at te top, when an ambulance from the Air Force medical training unnit came screaming arouund a corner.every single door on the left side came open, throwing stuff all over the road.  They came back about 5 minutes later to gather their toys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

from the drill yard.

sitting on the front bumper and returned to quarters and the items were still there
View Quote

It's crazy how that shit happens.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One of our guys lost a PAS (roadside breathalyzer) he had left on his trunk.

It was turned in a week later with marijuana stuffed in the intake port. Evidently someone tried to use it to smoke a bowl.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#29]
OT but do you FD guys have to buy your own bunker gear or does the FD own it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No... FD provides and owns it.

It's issued to you along with other essential PPE that you would need to safely perform the job task they expect you to.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

75% of the firefighters in the nation are volunteer, they're sure as hell not coming out of pocket a few grand for bunker gear. And the prices seem to be going way up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've run a call and returned to quarters to find my glass of tea still on the Tailboard.

My Driver is a 28 year vet, he's smooth!

View Quote

I left a big fountain soda on the front going to a call once. Still there when we hopped out. I was driving...like a boss.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

75% of the firefighters in the nation are volunteer, they're sure as hell not coming out of pocket a few grand for bunker gear. And the prices seem to be going way up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.......

We just got price quotes for 12 news sets of gear at work..... Ouch!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are.......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.......

I remember when you could get a full set for what the damn coat costs now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#35]
A pumper I was on one night on the way to a CO call, hit a bump and dumped all 300 feet of 1&3/4 off the rear. Guy down the street with armloads of hose, " Hey, I think you dropped somethin". My LT forgot to get his gear off the bumper on a short run with a couple of hard lefts, and thus we distributed his gear throughout the neighborhood.  And I have worked a fire, set my helmet on the running board under the pump panel on my ladder truck, put my gear away, drove back to the firehouse, back in, got off the rig, and there sat my helmet where I left it. Twice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some guys will buy their own boots, gloves, or helmets to have better than the issue stuff but I don't know anyone that would order their own bunkers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Some guys will buy their own boots, gloves, or helmets to have better than the issue stuff but I don't know anyone that would order their own bunkers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to have my own, I paid 100 for them brand new and had to promise to write a review on them and answer a bunch of questions. I burned them on with magnesium in a plane fire the next week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top