Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2014 6:53:06 AM EDT

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It didn't like that chair to much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
They paint that line on the floor for a reason. Anything that gets stuck to the magnet ain't coming off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It didn't like that chair to much.
View Quote

Well, it sure wanted it bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a case in NY where an off duty cop took his pistol into a MRI Suite and it pulled the gun into the machine and caused it to discharge.  Was a 1911 IIRC.  Dont know if it was a proper one or one of the screwed up versions where someone redesigned perfection.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There was a case in NY where an off duty cop took his pistol into a MRI Suite and it pulled the gun into the machine and caused it to discharge.  Was a 1911 IIRC.  Dont know if it was a proper one or one of the screwed up versions where someone redesigned perfection.

View Quote

It was a normal one in working condition with all safeties on.

The magnet pulled the firing pin forward into the primer once the gun itself couldn't get any closer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/01/03/dont-bring-a-gun-near-an-mri/
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember a case where a nurse or orderly carrying a oxygen tank (I think)entered the room where someone was getting an MRI. The tank got the pulled into the machine and killed the patient.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It's such a powerful magnet it makes the very cells in your body vibrate (well the iron in them anyway), that kind of power is not to be trifled with.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember a case where a nurse or orderly carrying a oxygen tank (I think)entered the room where someone was getting an MRI. The tank got the pulled into the machine and killed the patient.
View Quote

Same thing happen around 10 yrs ago at Westchester Medical Center, in Valhalla, NY, iirc.

Tech placed an older steel cylinder between the pt.'s legs, cut him in half lengthwise.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Same thing happen around 10 yrs ago at Westchester Medical Center, in Valhalla, NY, iirc.

Tech placed an older steel cylinder between the pt.'s legs, cut him in half lengthwise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd think the name of the machine alone would give a pretty good clue
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beat me to that story...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#12]
nom nom nom
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Story of a mobile MRI unit in Playa del Rey, CA (in L A County).

Snotty cop pulls up next to the trailer housing the MRI. Technician warns cop about possible damage to car. Snotty cop blows him off, leaves car for 15 minutes.

Car was towed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's such a powerful magnet it makes the very cells in your body vibrate (well the iron in them anyway), that kind of power is not to be trifled with.
View Quote

But can it levitate a frog?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#15]
All the ones I have seen are big donuts. It this one of the old obsolete ones?  Are the open ones just as bad?

I would hate for someone with screws in their neck or a plate in their head get in one

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Imagine what would happen to a patient wearing a steel butt plug.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All the ones I have seen are big donuts. It this one of the old obsolete ones?  Are the open ones just as bad?

I would have for someone with screws in their neck or a plate in their head get in one
View Quote

Most of that is non magnetic.
I have a large rod in my leg and several screws.
MRI is fine, and doesn't set off the detectors at the airport either
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have for someone with screws in their neck or a plate in their head get in one

They always ask you if you've been around any metal grinding, in case you may have any in, or near your eyes.  That would suck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Can't we use these for executions? Put a prisoners face just behind the wrench and then let the wrench go.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#20]
They are serious

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a complete replacement knee, rod, and several screws.  On occasion it has come up and - after seeing the X-rays - the answer from the tech has always been an unequivocal "NO WAY!"

I don't know why some are different than others.  I know my knee is a titanium alloy.  The rods and screws are, I think, stainless.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#22]
That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92745

A 6-year-old boy died after undergoing an MRI exam at a New York-area hospital when the machine's powerful magnetic field jerked a metal oxygen tank across the room, crushing the child's head.

The force of the device's 10-ton magnet is about 30,000 times as powerful as Earth's magnetic field, and 200 times stronger than a common refrigerator magnet.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a complete replacement knee, rod, and several screws.  On occasion it has come up and - after seeing the X-rays - the answer from the tech has always been an unequivocal "NO WAY!"

I don't know why some are different than others.  I know my knee is a titanium alloy.  The rods and screws are, I think, stainless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine had a bullet basically next to his spine, he could feel it moving when he went in one, but it didn't rip it out of his body. The movement of it caused them to take it out immediately though as to not cause anymore nerve damage.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#25]
They tug on my nipple rings
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#26]
How do they work?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the iron the atoms. How they vibrate is Based open what they are next to.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours stainless or titanium? mine is stainless and I was ok in an MRI with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Did some work on an MRI facility a few years back the unshielded magnet was so strong that  we could stick tools on the wall outside the building
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Youd be in a world of hurt with some old forgotten shrapnel

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the tech doesn't want to make the papers.  Unless I put them in myself (unlikely for an MRI tech) I'd say no way as well.  It's fine for you to tell him they're non mag, but he has no way of knowing that.  And grades of stainless have varying degrees of magnetic influence; very few of them are completely non mag.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#34]
We've lost:

O2 tanks
Ventilators
Surgical equipment
~100 pagers/cell phones
IV poles
Watches
Stethescopes
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Beat me to that story...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to that story...

Yeah..I was just looking for the orig news story footage..only found this after I got bored looking:

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Generally, if your implant is anchored in bone it is OK to scan.   I scan knee and hip replacements routinely looking for issues adjacent to the replacement.  

Magnets are usually a no go, but there are some magnetic implants that can still be scanned under certain strict and controlled circumstances.

The open scanners are very weak compared to the video, the images suck and most implants manufactured in the past 20 years are fine for a 1.5T conventional machine anyways.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's why anyone with service history or who has worked around metal at all gets a few Xrays looked at closely before an MRI.  I've had a few MRIs with my orthopedic surgeon, and based on my history he makes me get new Xrays every time just in case we missed something and got lucky the time before.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because the tech doesn't want to make the papers.  Unless I put them in myself (unlikely for an MRI tech) I'd say no way as well.  It's fine for you to tell him they're non mag, but he has no way of knowing that.  And grades of stainless have varying degrees of magnetic influence; very few of them are completely non mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm not complaining.  I was nervous as hell when I read the Dr's orders for an MRI.

I was relieved to hear the tech say there was no way I was going in the machine.  

I met the Dr. the day after.  He was a bit sheepish and apologized for forgetting about my hardware.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh I'm not complaining.  I was nervous as hell when I read the Dr's orders for an MRI.

I was relieved to hear the tech say there was no way I was going in the machine.  

I met the Dr. the day after.  He was a bit sheepish and apologized for forgetting about my hardware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to go to another facility.  Knee replacement and hardware should not disqualify you from having an mri.  Heck, there is even special software out the past few years to aid in scanning replacements.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I guess there is a reason I carry this stent card in my wallet.

I wonder if I should get a tattoo in case they don't see the card...hmmm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You need to go to another facility.  Knee replacement and hardware should not disqualify you from having an mri.  Heck, there is even special software out the past few years to aid in scanning replacements.
View Quote

This was ~15 years ago.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This was ~15 years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was ~15 years ago.

Ah, I see.  The industry has progressed A LOT since then.  Still, it is highly likely you could have had the scan even then.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I guess there is a reason I carry this stent card in my wallet.

I wonder if I should get a tattoo in case they don't see the card...hmmm.
View Quote

Thanks. I also have a stint card and had no idea why I was suppose to carry it. I quit carrying the little bottle of nitro pills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ah, I see.  The industry has progressed A LOT since then.  Still, it is highly likely you could have had the scan even then.
View Quote

I guess I don't know what the specific dangers are - other than having a piece of metal stuck to the side of the machine.

Which sounds... excruciating, when that piece of metal is inside your leg.

I was under the impression there was still some danger even from non-ferrous metal.

Is that incorrect?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

We've lost:

O2 tanks

Ventilators

Surgical equipment

~100 pagers/cell phones

IV poles

Watches

Stethescopes
View Quote
Lost them?  Did you look inside the machine?  

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I guess I don't know what the specific dangers are - other than having a piece of metal stuck to the side of the machine.

I was under the impression there was still some danger even from non-ferrous metal.

Is that incorrect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that incorrect?
Yes, there could be some issues but not from the field but rather from the radio frequency energy.  There can also be issues with imaging due to these effects.

In the MRI, the magnetic field "holds" the hydrogen atoms, then they are blasted by RF which causes them to flip in the magnetic field, when the RF stops, the hydrogen atoms flip back, and in doing so, emit very specific RF which varies according to the chemical compounds containing the hydrogen.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Dam, I've got metal plates & screws in my arm and leg.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
That's why anyone with service history or who has worked around metal at all gets a few Xrays looked at closely before an MRI.  I've had a few MRIs with my orthopedic surgeon, and based on my history he makes me get new Xrays every time just in case we missed something and got lucky the time before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In case they missed something?  Wouldn't the MRI you went through have "caught" anything missed in the XRAY?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#49]
So, I guess I shouldn't have my mechanical watch on my wrist when I get my next MRI, then?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I once left a stainless steel cross necklace on during an MRI test on my knee.  Nothing happened.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top