Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
My back is not allowing me to run anymore. Sucks big time. I love running. I'd like to try biking for a little cardio. I'm also getting a bench and free weights to see what I can do for aerobisizzing without hurting my back.  

I used to run on dirt and asphalt. So a strictly street bicycle won't work. What kind of pos bike should I get for cheap? Buying a bike sucks. My jogging shoes was cheap equipment for working out a little.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to an actual bike shop or at least a chain that sells decent stuff like Scheels

probably spend $300 but it will be 10x the bike $100 will get ya at wal mart , and will not kill you when it disassembles on you

or go look at craiglist every town has guys that buy old quality stuff and refurb to resell can get something decent for $100 that way pretty easy

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to an actual bike shop or at least a chain that sells decent stuff like Scheels
probably spend $300 but it will be 10x the bike $100 will get ya at wal mart , and will not kill you when it disassembles on you
View Quote

Perfect. I think we have two bike shops on town I'll check. I'll stay away from Walmart. I was hoping to spend $200, but I can swing 3.

I have a buddy into biking. But talking to him would be pointless. His bikes start at $5k and go up to near 10.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch Craigslist for something quality used. You will get really frustrated with a cheap piece of junk and probably give up. Hell a 10 year old Specialized or Trek hard tail would be a better use of a 100 bucks than a new Huffy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a guy who forgot to close his garage door and take his bike.  It worked well for someone in my neighborhood
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Watch Craigslist for something quality used. You will get really frustrated with a cheap piece of junk and probably give up. Hell a 10 year old Specialized or Trek hard tail would be a better use of a 100 bucks than a new Huffy.
View Quote

I would have no idea what I was looking at, besides for the two wheels and color. I've never been into bikes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Tuition payments are due and college bulletin boards are great this time of year too.

As for what to look for, get a hard tail (front suspension only) with a decent frame.  Specialized (Hard Rocks are everywhere and can be a good value if you watch), Trek, Cannondales, etc, but don't ignore Giant and Norco (who make a lot of the mid-range frames anyway).  Go over to MTBR.com for ideas and then surf Craigslist and eBay to get an idea of used values.   If you don't plan to seriously offroad with it, don't get all technically bent around the axles on parts/components grades (LX, DX, XT,...), but by buying quality up front at least if something breaks you can replace it easily (in my experience, cheap bikes frequently use non-standard parts size that leave you hanging).

Oh, and don't be afraid to buy a decent saddle (seat) too - if you aren't comfortable, especially with a bad back, you won't ride, and if you don't ride it, it's just a waste of money and storage space.  Saddles/seats are a personal preference thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Find a guy who forgot to close his garage door and take his bike.  It worked well for someone in my neighborhood
View Quote

And people wonder why I chain stuff that's inside my shop down.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Craiglist.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

or go look at craiglist every town has guys that buy old quality stuff and refurb to resell can get something decent for $100 that way pretty easy

View Quote

Scheels is awesome!! Op, if your back is a worry even for biking you can get one of those recumbent ones too - Like this. Don't let your back being bad interfere with staying in shape.

I like Treks myself op.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

THAT  

Used, quality bikes that fit are fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my We The People Trust but it's about $800

http://instagram.com/the_alaska_cajun

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
A giant simple is my favorite bike.  A single speed cruiser gives you more exercise than a geared bike for the same distance traveled.  Having the old timey reverse pedal brake makes you feel like a kid as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Assume, for the sake of argument, I don't wish to spend time searching used bikes for one that isn't trashed. What would be the most inexpensive model you'd recommend for a new bike that can handle dirt, gravel, and cement with giant tiger pits pot holes?

ETA:

I actually like looks of the Simple 3. It reminds me of my bike I had in Japan.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/simple.three/11505/55848/
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My back is not allowing me to run anymore. Sucks big time. I love running. I'd like to try biking for a little cardio. I'm also getting a bench and free weights to see what I can do for aerobisizzing without hurting my back.  

I used to run on dirt and asphalt. So a strictly street bicycle won't work. What kind of pos bike should I get for cheap? Buying a bike sucks. My jogging shoes was cheap equipment for working out a little.
View Quote

If your back is going bad, what makes  you think you can bike? Biking, no matter what kind of machine you get, forces your back into some strange, unnatural positions.

Better get a doc's approval; if you have, say, a slipped or bulging disk, you could be setting yourself up for some MAJOR pain. Like, "I want to kill myself" kind of pain.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
in before www.bikesdirect.com but after craigslist
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If your back is going bad, what makes  you think you can bike? Biking, no matter what kind of machine you get, forces your back into some strange, unnatural positions.

Better get a doc's approval; if you have, say, a slipped or bulging disk, you could be setting yourself up for some MAJOR pain. Like, "I want to kill myself" kind of pain.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the very least, go to a decent bike shop and tell them why you are looking at bikes. Tell them about your back. They will probably recommend a cruiser, those tend to keep you in a more upright riding position as opposed to leaning forward like many road and mountain bikes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Biking is the one of the only activities that makes my lower back feel decent these days.  Three decades of riding and I've never thought to describe it as strange and unnatural.  In fact, I think it's about the perfect exercise for where I ache in my legs and back.

The OP's mileage may vary, of course.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Used on Craigslist. Let someone else pay that depreciation.

Modern Trek, Specialized, whatever....

Get good components and a light weight, and thank yourself for buying better than the cheap shit. While, simultaneously, only spending a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would have no idea what I was looking at, besides for the two wheels and color. I've never been into bikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Decide what kind of biking you want to do, then start asking questions. It's not hard, just like a gun you need to know what you're going to be doing then learn a tiny bit. You can get help and narrow it down to make an informed decision.

If it's for fitness, look for a hybrid that fits your size (lots of online help for fitting a bike to your body). They're agile and fast like a road bike, but more for shorter (couple hours) rides and a little more rugged than a road bike. They tend to be on the more affordable side too, and are a good entry bike. With the right tires, they'll do light dirt and gravel very well. I ride one for workouts and leisure rides, and do a lot of back roads. A true mountain bike will do all this too, but may be heavier and cost more (without offering any benefit over a hybrid).

A Specialized Cirrus would be a good example of this type of bike.

If you want to do technical trails, then get a real mountain bike - and don't go cheap there. The trails will not be kind to a noob on a POS.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  Tuition payments are due and college bulletin boards are great this time of year too.

As for what to look for, get a hard tail (front suspension only) with a decent frame.  Specialized (Hard Rocks are everywhere and can be a good value if you watch), Trek, Cannondales, etc, but don't ignore Giant and Norco (who make a lot of the mid-range frames anyway).  Go over to MTBR.com for ideas and then surf Craigslist and eBay to get an idea of used values.   If you don't plan to seriously offroad with it, don't get all technically bent around the axles on parts/components grades (LX, DX, XT,...), but by buying quality up front at least if something breaks you can replace it easily (in my experience, cheap bikes frequently use non-standard parts size that leave you hanging).

Oh, and don't be afraid to buy a decent saddle (seat) too - if you aren't comfortable, especially with a bad back, you won't ride, and if you don't ride it, it's just a waste of money and storage space.  Saddles/seats are a personal preference thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A rule of thumb for the seat is: When it comes to your ass, spare no expense.
It has served me well over the years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Perfect. I think we have two bike shops on town I'll check. I'll stay away from Walmart. I was hoping to spend $200, but I can swing 3.

I have a buddy into biking. But talking to him would be pointless. His bikes start at $5k and go up to near 10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn about sizing the bike, go to a bike shop and get a feel for it.  Then you'll know better what you buy off Craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear you OP, I can't run either due to old nagging injuries.  A lot of good advice in here.  You are probably looking at $400.00 out the door for a new bike from a shop, but it will last you for decades with a little maintenance.  A lot of good used bikes on CL.  Take your buddy once you find a few likely candidates if you go that route.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

THAT  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT  

I have no idea how to fit a bike.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT  

Do you even google, bro?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, after going to the local bike shops, I think I'm looking at a Trek 820. It's just over what I wanted to spend, but it looks like that is the better than Walmart, entry level bike. At one shop, the owner went as far as to show me the basics (also linked above) to fitting a bike. The Trek large frame seems to feel the best and it's what he recommend (shop owner of 30 years).

I have to clear the purchase through my kitchen 6. Being how she wants me to stay active now that running is just too hard on me, I'm pretty sure she's good to go. I might pick it up the new Trek next month, if I don't find one on CL for cheap before.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ok, after going to the local bike shops, I think I'm looking at a Trek 820. It's just over what I wanted to spend, but it looks like that is the better than Walmart, entry level bike. At one shop, the owner went as far as to show me the basics (also linked above) to fitting a bike. The Trek large frame seems to feel the best and it's what he recommend (shop owner of 30 years).

I have to clear the purchase through my kitchen 6. Being how she wants me to stay active now that running is just too hard on me, I'm pretty sure she's good to go. I might pick it up the new Trek next month, if I don't find one on CL for cheap before.
View Quote

It's a good bike for what you're wanting to do, take care of it and it'll outlast ya.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Trek 820

Frame

Trek Custom Steel

Front suspension

SR Suntour M-3030, coil spring, 75mm travel

Shifters

Shimano Tourney EF40, 7 speed

Front derailleur

Shimano Tourney

Rear derailleur

Shimano Tourney TX35

Crank

Forged alloy 3 piece, 48/38/28

Cassette

Shimano TZ31 14-34, 7 speed

Pedals

Wellgo nylon platform

Chain

KMC Z51

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#28]
compare that spec to:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/3ht_new_xii.htm

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Hook up with somebody that knows bikes and check out some Pawn shops. Not the deals there used to be (they got a little more in the know) but a good used bike is better than a new cheapy.

I have had 3 bikes since 1994. None of them new. All were an up grade, and I still own all of them. I also bought a bike for Iraq that I still have.(busted chain when I loaned it out. Still haven't fixed it)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
compare that spec to:http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/3ht_new_xii.htm

View Quote

Ya... I've already looked at that site, and can't get around it for shit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#31]
The most important thing is fit. At the very least swing by a real bike shop and have them fit you to a bike so you'll know about what's appropriate. (Go back and buy some accessories later to compensate them for their time.)

Once you know what it should feel like you can get bikes at a massive discount on CL.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The most important thing is fit. At the very least swing by a real bike shop and have them fit you to a bike so you'll know about what's appropriate. (Go back and buy some accessories later to compensate them for their time.)

Once you know what it should feel like you can get bikes at a massive discount on CL.
View Quote

I've basicly done this. Went to bike shop and found the right frame size. Looked on CL for a better bike for less money than the lower grade bike is new.

I found a hardly ridden 2012 Treck 3500 disc for $300 on CL. I've texted the guy and am going to look at it this week after work. I think I've got the wife on board with it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Man, bikes have gotten kickass in the 15 years I've been out of the sport. I got my kid a little Hardrock for his second birthday, and decided I needs to get my old '98 Trek 4500 out of storage. It was my college bike, and had been ridden hard and put up wet. I took it to my local bike store, and realized just how outdated it is.

Ended up with a new ride. I'm still getting used to the 29s, but my wheelie skills have never been better.

There's nothing like teaching your kid how to shred. That's the good stuff. Mantears.jpg

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I ended up getting a 2012 Trek 3500 Disc for $280. The guy bought the bike when he was stationed in Korea at the PX. He through in a cheapo helmet, combo cable, and the front and back lights (needed for legal night riding in Ca). It has a 21" frame and is in pretty good shape. The tread is still on the origonal tires.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like you did good. Better than the Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Now ride the piss out of it!

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Man, bikes have gotten kickass in the 15 years I've been out of the sport. I got my kid a little Hardrock for his second birthday, and decided I needs to get my old '98 Trek 4500 out of storage. It was my college bike, and had been ridden hard and put up wet. I took it to my local bike store, and realized just how outdated it is.
View Quote

That is the truth! My new 105 11 speed components blow my old Dura Ace 9 speed out of the water.

It isn't the age, either. The shifting is smoother, more reliable, the finish is better, it is more ergonomic, and of course two more gears. All for $440.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I will. As soon as I get rid of this pneumonia. I finally have a bike to ride, and the doc says I have an infected lung.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally got out with the new bike! Lots of fun. Damn it, I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

I have a bike lane that runs past my house to a paved bike path. I road just under 10 miles with a short break at the half way point. I'm going to try and ride twice a week for a little cardio.

I need to get some shorts that I can ride in for sure. I only have gym shorts, board shorts, and jeans. I want to find something other than the ghey spandex though. That would not be pretty. I might also get a bike computer to tract my time ride and speed. Any suggestions in these two items?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Finally got out with the new bike! Lots of fun. Damn it, I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

I have a bike lane that runs past my house to a paved bike path. I road just under 10 miles with a short break at the half way point. I'm going to try and ride twice a week for a little cardio.

I need to get some shorts that I can ride in for sure. I only have gym shorts, board shorts, and jeans. I want to find something other than the ghey spandex though. That would not be pretty. I might also get a bike computer to tract my time ride and speed. Any suggestions in these two items?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2872anr.jpg
View Quote

Go into your LBS (local bike shop) and get some casual shorts with the padding.  Lots of mgfs make them now, they look kind of like surfboard shorts, not the road rider spandex crap.  They will run $60-$80 but they are well worth the $$.  You can pick up a wireless computer there also, maybe $60.  Get to be friends with them as you'll need adjustments, cables, tubes and crap.  Also get a seat bag with tire levers and a tube, and a small frame pump.  If you ride a lot you'll get a flat or two.  With the previous, you can change it yourself and be back on the road in 10 min.  No walking it home…
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I suggest gay spandex slider shorts under board or gym shorts to keep the chaffing at bay.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
For ride tracking, I use the Strava app on my phone. It works pretty well (even for mountain biking), makes it easy to compare your rides, and doesn't spam you. If you carry a GPS enabled phone with you anyway, it shouldn't really get in your way.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I am going thru the same thing OP, haven't decided about the bike yet.
I do go to a gym, so I will continue with that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
As much as you despise the spandex, if you start riding a lot, you will learn not to care. If you build up some nice leg muscles, it's an added bonus if you ride in the proximity of females.

Get some basic spandex padded shorts and wear some casual shorts over them or get some of the padded casual shorts for now. I really like voler, their prices are reasonable and the shorts are great quality. Also made in the states.

Nice score on the bike, if you are serious about getting a good cardio workout, I would recommend using a heart rate monitor as well. Not sure if you have one from running or not.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As much as you despise the spandex, if you start riding a lot, you will learn not to care. If you build up some nice leg muscles, it's an added bonus if you ride in the proximity of females.

Get some basic spandex padded shorts and wear some casual shorts over them or get some of the padded casual shorts for now. I really like voler, their prices are reasonable and the shorts are great quality. Also made in the states.

Nice score on the bike, if you are serious about getting a good cardio workout, I would recommend using a heart rate monitor as well. Not sure if you have one from running or not.
View Quote

I'll be riding country hedge rows, bike paths, and orchard two tracks. Not many womans out here. And if there was, my wife wouldn't like me showing off my magnificent ass muscles (barf).

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I consider $1000 to be the very minimum that a bike should cost.

Anything less is not a cheap bike...it's no bike at all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I consider $1000 to be the very minimum that a bike should cost.

Anything less is not a cheap bike...it's no bike at all.
View Quote

You are so Tier 1 bro.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Go into your LBS (local bike shop) and get some casual shorts with the padding.  Lots of mgfs make them now, they look kind of like surfboard shorts, not the road rider spandex crap.  They will run $60-$80 but they are well worth the $$.  You can pick up a wireless computer there also, maybe $60.  Get to be friends with them as you'll need adjustments, cables, tubes and crap.  Also get a seat bag with tire levers and a tube, and a small frame pump.  If you ride a lot you'll get a flat or two.  With the previous, you can change it yourself and be back on the road in 10 min.  No walking it home…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2872anr.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the bag and repair kit. I'll definitely be getting padded shorts. The bony part of my ass is sore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice bike! Great price. Ride it lots and you'll figure out what else you need, such as shoes, clips, hydration, gloves, and lots of things to throw money at.  Have fun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top