Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2014 11:13:46 PM EDT
My Grandfather is turning 90 at the end of the month.  He served on the USS San Diego (CL-53) from the beginning to the end and later served on the Duluth. It was the first ship to enter Tokyo Bay and the 2nd most decorated ship of WW2..  He was a cook and loaded the 20mm guns under deck.  He doesn't talk much about it but he did say the scariest part was not being able to see what was going on while he was loading the guns.  He didn't tell me but I heard when he was on deck he was strafed by a Zero.

I have been helping out as much as I can on his lake property and have bought him Navy things in the past.  Do you guys have any ideas?  I ordered Cherri's Berry's for my Grandmothers 90th earlier this year.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If he has them, get him a nice photo album and sit down with him and go through his photos. From when he was a kid to his later years. Focus on who he is as a person and work in the WWII stories so you find out about the man he is today. Not just the man he was for 4-5 years. He will have a lifetime of stories to tell you. I wish I had relatives still alive from WWII. Good luck, it should be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm never good at gift ideas.  Personally if either of my Grandfathers were still alive I'd just want to have a good meal and conversation with them.  At that age I think that's a pretty good gift just spending time and letting them know they mean something to you.  Tell your Grandpa thanks for his service.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm never good at gift ideas.  Personally if either of my Grandfathers were still alive I'd just want to have a good meal and conversation with them.  At that age I think that's a pretty good gift just spending time and letting them know they mean something to you.  Tell your Grandpa thanks for his service.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Those sound like good ideas.  This past weekend I helped with a major sewer problem and cut his to nails.  He's not much of a talker.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My Grandfather is turning 90 at the end of the month.  He served on the USS San Diego (CL-53) from the beginning to the end and later served on the Duluth. It was the first ship to enter Tokyo Bay and the 2nd most decorated ship of WW2..  He was a cook and loaded the 20mm guns under deck.  He doesn't talk much about it but he did say the scariest part was not being able to see what was going on while he was loading the guns.  He didn't tell me but I heard when he was on deck he was strafed by a Zero.

I have been helping out as much as I can on his lake property and have bought him Navy things in the past.  Do you guys have any ideas?  I ordered Cherri's Berry's for my Grandmothers 90th earlier this year.

View Quote

visit him. ask him more, and listen.

I lost mine in 94. i had to ask him about his war stories, i still remember his words today. i wish i could hear them again from him.

listen well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
A prostitute.   He aint too old to love that
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those sound like good ideas.  This past weekend I helped with a major sewer problem and cut his to nails.  He's not much of a talker.
View Quote

People that age don't need a lot of things. Get him a box of his favorite sweets or coffee or something edible. Or a framed pic of you and your kids, even better if he's in it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I aint good with gift ideas, but I'll tell you what, he has my respect. There is a reason his generation is referred to as "The Greatest".

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.  He has a female Polka player coming to his house to perform for an hour.  It's going to be a surprise for him.  He used to play.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

How the hell were, "hookers and blow", not the first post?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think Grandma would like that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Awesome.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any chance you could take him to DC to visit the WWII memorial? I offered to take my uncle... he declined as he said he did not want to travel....
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Any chance you could take him to DC to visit the WWII memorial? I offered to take my uncle... he declined as he said he did not want to travel...

He's done traveling anywhere outside of his hometown.  They went to every state after they retired though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:55:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better yet, a bevy of hot 18 year old girls.  Just have them sit around, smile, smell good and listen.  I bet he would get a kick out of that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top