Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/7/2014 6:03:56 AM EDT
I searched and saw this story hadn't been posted yet.  I can't believe that this is what my once proud Navy has turned into.

Here's a picture of the "Acting XO/CHENG" for the guilty/not guilty verdict.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, what a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
dem eyes be crazy
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
They probably ignored her gross incompetence and pushed her up the ranks so that Obongo could show how far women have "come" in the Navy.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew her.

It would have been the short stint I did on Paul Hamilton.
She was Auxo, I was in "R" division.
Wow

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Politicizing the military in this manner could have grave consequences it seems to this layman.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I searched and saw this story hadn't been posted yet.  I can't believe that this is what my once proud Navy has turned into.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.jp/2014/08/cowpens-to-help-produce-movie-for.html

Here's a picture of the "Acting XO/CHENG" for the guilty/not guilty verdict.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/XO_LCDR_Savage.jpg

View Quote

I'd try to hit bottom on her. and never apologize for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow, what a clusterfuck.
View Quote
Never been in the military but even I can see that!

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, it is stories like this that make me glad I'm not, nor will ever be in my father's navy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay. Read through the cdr salamander blog, some navy type want to break that down for an 11b paratrooper?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
dem eyes be crazy
View Quote

Yup, same thing I said.  This chick has got a serious case of the crazy.  The eyes never lie.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Good grief....
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Okay. Read through the cdr salamander blog, some navy type want to break that down for an 11b paratrooper?
View Quote

Junior officer banged the hermit CO, led the ship for two months without anyone calling home to say "WTF?"

Kharn

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Captain got rid of his second-in-command.

Captain puts his Chief Engineer (who he was banging) in the XO spot. Never reports the gap.

Captain proceeds to spend four months without a XO.

Captain continues banging his CHENG/XO.

Junior officers and Chiefs point out the inappropriate relationship to senior enlisted guy, who did nothing.

Captain claimed to be sick, so never left his cabin. He could, however, go on liberty with banging XO/CHENG.

Captain completely blew off commanding.

This went on for for months during a deployment. The crew kept it together.

Fleet commander not amused.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup, same thing I said.  This chick has got a serious case of the crazy.  The eyes never lie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
dem eyes be crazy

Last time I saw her (2005)I think she was an Ensign or LTJG. she sure as hell was good looking person. There were two other female officers in Engineering that were a smoking hot.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
USS Cowpenis?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Junior officer banged the hermit CO, led the ship for two months without anyone calling home to say "WTF?"

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

OK, I would  really like to think if the  other ships CO's in the CVG even noticed a change in behavior of the crew or the lack of the Cowpens CO on communications. I am sure others in the CVG knew, but did not want to make waves for fear of retribution.

Not the same Navy sadly as 25 years ago.

I remember the CO of the USS Sides had complained about the CO of the Vincennes back in 1988. The Vincennes CO was seen as being reckless and the Sides CO had reported the behavior. It was ignored and eventually the Vincennes was responsible for the shoot-down of the Iranian airliner.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Can a ships Capt get away acting like the ship is his own little kingdom at times? Or does it eventually catch up?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Well the one thing I will say is good on the crew for keeping the show running without the help of those whose job it was to keep the shit show running.  That reflects well on the crew.

As far as the upper chain of command.  Put in your papers.

This is just one of the many reasons why I got the hell out years ago.  The .mil has turned into a political farce of what it is supposed to be.  A bunch of ticket punchers running around so fearful of setting a foot wrong in the PC minefield.    Damned thing is a bizarre social experiment now.  I'd like to see what all this social engineering is truly costing the tax payers.  The wasted hours in whichever flavor of diversity training the wind is blowing from DC, the growth of disgust and apathy in the ranks, the loss of good troops who planned to be careerists but saw this crap and GTFO.  

Frankly they need a few Generals like LeMay who will toss out the nonhackers, phonies and fluffers and who will focus on getting the job done.  Instead you got PC sychophants.  

RIP the good old days.

Hmm, I got a suggestion for a Navy experiment,  you can have an all female amazon crew on the Cowpens.  No irony in that is there?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Where's josh to post about how awesome female sailors are?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can a ships Capt get away acting like the ship is his own little kingdom at times? Or does it eventually catch up?
View Quote

It will eventually catch up. I recall another CG having a very abusive CO (might have been Cowpens) and it caught up to her.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Cowpens? So, I'm assuming it's a movie about women's prison?

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cowpens

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sigh.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Why are bitter Navy blogs so much better than bitter Army blogs?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It will eventually catch up. I recall another CG having a very abusive CO (might have been Cowpens) and it caught up to her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens until then?

How often does the Navy back track through all the bullshit vs. just cutting the line and moving on?

You would think the CO of a ship basically hiding in his cabin for 2 months would get a reaction from the outside world, or maybe no one else was paying attention either.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why are bitter Navy blogs so much better than bitter Army blogs?
View Quote

The quality of naval personnel is better than the quality of army personnel, perhaps? I do not know, but that seems a reasonable supposition.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it was, my cousin served on the cowpens under her.  It was a major reason she got out after her initial ROTC commitment was up.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#28]
The knock on effects of poisonous leadership are really impossible to under-estimate.

I know an O-6 who gave a 1 of 5 EP to a LT who busted his PFA. What message does that send?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The knock on effects of poisonous leadership are really impossible to under-estimate.

I know an O-6 who gave a 1 of 5 EP to a LT who busted his PFA. What message does that send?
View Quote

Graf drove at least half of her wardroom into leaving the Navy.   SWO's eat their own young.   Thank God I was a submariner.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#30]
TLDR, Engrish version plz.
Answered
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Graf drove at least half of her wardroom into leaving the Navy. SWO's eat their own young. Thank God I was a submariner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Graf drove at least half of her wardroom into leaving the Navy. SWO's eat their own young. Thank God I was a submariner.

My last at sea tour I was the sole CWO in the wardroom of a DDG. Watching the SWOnation redefine the word "dysfunction" paralyzed my face into a permanent "WTF" expression.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Graf drove at least half of her wardroom into leaving the Navy.   SWO's eat their own young.   Thank God I was a submariner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two of the finest officers I've met in the Navy were sub guys...both of whom left the Navy as O-3s.

One was dual math/physics major from the major Texas university, in addition to being an Olmstead Scholar who spoke Mandarin.

It was a worse than a crime that the Navy bureaucracy couldn't see his value past watchstanding a reactor space.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

it was, my cousin served on the cowpens under her.  It was a major reason she got out after her initial ROTC commitment was up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Graf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, yeah. She was a wild one...
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

I should have studied harder....
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From wiki, my favorite parts:

The punishment followed an investigation which verified allegations of cruelty and maltreatment of her crew, and conduct unbecoming an officer.
Graf will be allowed to receive an honorable service characterization as a retired officer, as it was, "...determined that her conduct did not rise to a level sufficient to warrant the characterization of her service as less than honorable."
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I swear to god, I though that said "USS Cowpenis"
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#37]
wow,   she fucked his face inert.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Two of the finest officers I've met in the Navy were sub guys...both of whom left the Navy as O-3s.

One was dual math/physics major from the major Texas university, in addition to being an Olmstead Scholar who spoke Mandarin.

It was a worse than a crime that the Navy bureaucracy couldn't see his value past watchstanding a reactor space.
View Quote

yeah they spend so much money on you that they don't want you moving into another field.  One of my JO's tried to move into intel and ended up having to leave the service and then joined the Army in the Intel field.  Either way money is wasted, at least if we keep the officer in intel, we're getting some roi.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was the Cowpens. they had some femanazi running that boat into the ground a few years ago!

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/06/11/3rd-cowpens-commander-fired-since-2010-cmc-relieved.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I as a civie would like an explanation to what that all means in english.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Thing is...

Say you're one of the O3 DIVOs or similar.  
You've got the senior rank, outside of the CO/CHENG/XO (literal) clusterfuck.
You know what's going on.  Hell, it's not exactly a secret.  Nothing on a ship is, after all.
You've got access to comms equipment and it surely ain't no thing to get the area commander's battlewatch on the phone.  
Email would take you minutes if you didn't want to call.
The CO/XO/CHENG went ashore...  You could have easily made the call when the ship was tied up and there was absolutely no fear of discovery or retaliation.

...and there are half a dozen people on the ship like this, plus another dozen junior officers, plus a few dozen NCOs.

And nobody said anything.  For four months.

Because, I guess, what's the point?  It's not worth anything to you.  What do you get for sticking your neck out and doing the right thing?  Why take any risk?

Easier to just keep your head down and wait until the deployment is over.

That's a fucking shame.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Why not produce a movie based on the three previous captains of the Cowpens?  Marin, atleast fits Lifetime's Feminist Soccermom audience, what with evil man having adulterous affair with another captains wife... I guess they're not doing Captain Graf because it doesn't fit the narrative (men are bad, women are awesome!) that Lifetime promotes...
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Guilty as sin.  She definitely has the crazy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#44]
This is why ancient mariners did not allow women on ships. Their vaginas make men crazy to the point they cannot control themselves.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

That's pretty much every naval sea deployment in the history of ever.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is why ancient mariners did not allow women on ships. Their vaginas make men crazy to the point they cannot control themselves.
View Quote

I like how "ancient" is 40 years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Captain rated five junior officers. The one that couldn't pass a ludicrously easy physical fitness test was rated ahead of his four peers. All of whom passed the test.

That evaluation likely screwed two other officers sufficiently to pass them over for promotion.

Why try when one lukewarm fitness report is enough to torpedo your career, and there is no recourse?

Graf did such a thing to dozens of officers in her career. Good people, who were failed by the Navy because poor leaders are allowed to fester.

Then, we ask where all of the leaders are.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know that feel, bro.

But there's "my supervisor is an asshole" and then there's "my CO is phoning it in while he bangs LCDR DSL."

I hope I'm never so jaded that I just let that sort of thing slide.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know that feel, bro.

But there's "my supervisor is an asshole" and then there's "my CO is phoning it in while he bangs LCDR DSL."

I hope I'm never so jaded that I just let that sort of thing slide.
View Quote

Everyone did the risk/reward calculus and decided, better to not to rock the boat because the COC will have more loyalty to another O-6 than obligation of duty to their ship or it's crew.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top