Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everyone did the risk/reward calculus and decided, better to not to rock the boat because the COC will have more loyalty to another O-6 than obligation of duty to their ship or it's crew.
View Quote

That is a troubling thought.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Everyone did the risk/reward calculus and decided, better to not to rock the boat because the COC will have more loyalty to another O-6 than obligation of duty to their ship or it's crew.
View Quote

It's almost like there's an institutional problem or something.

But...

Naaaaaaaaah.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay. Read through the cdr salamander blog, some navy type want to break that down for an 11b paratrooper?
View Quote

Cliff Notes:  Unqualified Junior officer Hot chick becomes Chief Engineer and Acting XO on a Navy Cruiser.

Has a close relationship with her CO and covers for him when he is ill for two months and locked in his room.

Other Officers and NCOs turn their heads the other way and no one calls it in to adult supervisors.

No disasters occurred but a Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruiser was cruising around the Pacific for two months with an unqualified chick in charge.

Morals:  
1.  Don't shit where you eat.
2.  The Captain isn't always right.
3.  Hey Mil.  How's that political correctness working out?
4.  Unqualified Hot chicks commanding Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruisers are generally a bad idea.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cliff Notes:  Unqualified Junior officer Hot chick becomes Chief Engineer and Acting XO on a Navy Cruiser.

Has a close relationship with her CO and covers for him when he is ill for two months and locked in his room.

Other Officers and NCOs turn their heads the other way and no one calls it in to adult supervisors.

No disasters occurred but a Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruiser was cruising around the Pacific for two months with an unqualified chick in charge.

Morals:  
4.  Unqualified Hot chicks commanding Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruisers are generally a bad idea.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay. Read through the cdr salamander blog, some navy type want to break that down for an 11b paratrooper?

Morals:  

This post reminded me of someone else; a female CO I had on an LSD. On more than one occasion she cried while addressing the crew and officers on the 1MC (ship's P.A.) system.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This post reminded me of someone else; a female CO I had on an LSD. On more than one occasion she cried while addressing the crew and officers on the 1MC (ship's P.A.) system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Morals:  

So like Glenn Beck, then?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The Captain that replaced this creep is a classmate of mine. Sharp guy.

He's one of those we always knew would make Admiral one day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I searched and saw this story hadn't been posted yet.  I can't believe that this is what my once proud Navy has turned into.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.jp/2014/08/cowpens-to-help-produce-movie-for.html

Here's a picture of the "Acting XO/CHENG" for the guilty/not guilty verdict.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/XO_LCDR_Savage.jpg

View Quote

Sadly, that ship HAS seen worse.  Like Captain Graf Ahab.

ETA: good, I'm not the only one who remembered that psycho!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
As bad as that situation reads from the JAGMAN investigation - and nothing ever looks good in a JAGMAN investigation - I'm disappointed that none of the obvious failures to exercise command by the various 1-stars and their staffs were addressed.  They each knew the CHENG was acting XO... for 6 weeks, sure why not?  But they never followed up to ensure the permanent XO got there as scheduled, and didn't intervene when that didn't happen so the thing went on for months.  Hell, a 1-star and his staff embarked in COWPENS and his takeaway was that the CO didn't unass the inport cabin fast enough for him.

As for the ship itself, they should have made the senior Engineering Division officer Acting CHENG, or maybe made the CSO or OPS acting CHENG and let their senior Division Officer act as CSO/OPS, whichever made more sense. The next senior Dept Head should have taken over as Senior Watch Officer.... this young lady had way too much on her plate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember being a boot and thinking there was a Chinese officer named Cheng onboard.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the CO shared the crazy eyes...

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cg63/PublishingImages/CO_Gombert.jpg
View Quote

holy shit their kids are going to have no chance
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why not produce a movie based on the three previous captains of the Cowpens?
View Quote

He's being facetious about the movie, as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn just scrap that fucker its cursed
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow, what a clusterfuck.
View Quote

The Cowpens was a clusterfuck when I was on her 10 years ago

The command itself was actually pretty functional and most of the crew were non-shitbags who knew their jobs, but FDNF ships are always kinda
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm surprised they are not going deeper into the crew for not reporting.
View Quote

They fired the Command Master Chief (presumably) over this, but wardroom politics are so far outside the realm of some random Petty Officer's knowledge or responsibility that it's irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As bad as that situation reads from the JAGMAN investigation - and nothing ever looks good in a JAGMAN investigation - I'm disappointed that none of the obvious failures to exercise command by the various 1-stars and their staffs were addressed. They each knew the CHENG was acting XO... for 6 weeks, sure why not?  But they never followed up to ensure the permanent XO got there as scheduled, and didn't intervene when that didn't happen so the thing went on for months.  Hell, a 1-star and his staff embarked in COWPENS and his takeaway was that the CO didn't unass the inport cabin fast enough for him.

As for the ship itself, they should have made the senior Engineering Division officer Acting CHENG, or maybe made the CSO or OPS acting CHENG and let their senior Division Officer act as CSO/OPS, whichever made more sense. The next senior Dept Head should have taken over as Senior Watch Officer.... this young lady had way too much on her plate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As bad as that situation reads from the JAGMAN investigation - and nothing ever looks good in a JAGMAN investigation - I'm disappointed that none of the obvious failures to exercise command by the various 1-stars and their staffs were addressed. They each knew the CHENG was acting XO... for 6 weeks, sure why not?  But they never followed up to ensure the permanent XO got there as scheduled, and didn't intervene when that didn't happen so the thing went on for months.  Hell, a 1-star and his staff embarked in COWPENS and his takeaway was that the CO didn't unass the inport cabin fast enough for him.

Yeah, that was pretty disingenuous:  

"You didn't have an XO embarked?!?"

Well no shit, admiral, it was right there in black & white on the command roster (or whatever it's called at that level)

Quoted:
I remember being a boot and thinking there was a Chinese officer named Cheng onboard.

Same
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As bad as that situation reads from the JAGMAN investigation - and nothing ever looks good in a JAGMAN investigation - I'm disappointed that none of the obvious failures to exercise command by the various 1-stars and their staffs were addressed.  They each knew the CHENG was acting XO... for 6 weeks, sure why not?  But they never followed up to ensure the permanent XO got there as scheduled, and didn't intervene when that didn't happen so the thing went on for months.  Hell, a 1-star and his staff embarked in COWPENS and his takeaway was that the CO didn't unass the inport cabin fast enough for him.

View Quote

Shouldn't the person who was supposed to be the new XO also notice that although he was promoted and ordered to go to the ship several months ago, he hadn't actually gone there?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn't have believed that was a real CO's command picture with him grinning like an idiot.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not produce a movie based on the three previous captains of the Cowpens?

Or is he? This is right up their alley, what with "Snapped", "Why I did it", etc. Lifetime is the angry Femnazi channel. With Gilmore girls.  Because, family.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I wouldn't have believed that was a real CO's command picture with him grinning like an idiot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like he should be hawking shit on late night tv

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know that feel, bro.

But there's "my supervisor is an asshole" and then there's "my CO is phoning it in while he bangs LCDR DSL."

Yeah, there is that.
I hope I'm never so jaded that I just let that sort of thing slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easier to just keep your head down and wait until the deployment is over.

That's pretty much every naval sea deployment in the history of ever.

I know that feel, bro.

But there's "my supervisor is an asshole" and then there's "my CO is phoning it in while he bangs LCDR DSL."

Yeah, there is that.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#23]
That ship is cursed. Build a new replacement and turn the Cowpens into an artificial reef
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that feel, bro.

Isn't that pretty much what happened on the Cowpens under Graf?

They may be complicit, but they sure aren't stupid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Isn't that pretty much what happened on the Cowpens under Graf?
View Quote

They may be complicit, but they sure aren't stupid.

not at all.  A lot of the JO's and senior enlisted filed complaints.   Eventually they got enough that someone said "maybe we should check the Cowpens out and see why everyone is unhappy"

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, he'll be looking for another career soon.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Captain that replaced this creep is a classmate of mine. Sharp guy.

He's one of those we always knew would make Admiral one day.
View Quote

Was a plebe in my company...

And son of the previous Commandant of Midshipmen
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

and a new wife...
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Additional evidence

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

it was, my cousin served on the cowpens under her.  It was a major reason she got out after her initial ROTC commitment was up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can a ships Capt get away acting like the ship is his own little kingdom at times? Or does it eventually catch up?

It will eventually catch up. I recall another CG having a very abusive CO (might have been Cowpens) and it caught up to her.

it was, my cousin served on the cowpens under her.  It was a major reason she got out after her initial ROTC commitment was up.

That boat ship is a a shit magnet

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/japan/commanding-officer-of-yokosuka-based-uss-cowpens-fired-1.168248
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Why would officers, junior or otherwise, go to a senior enlisted man for action or a decision?

Quoted:

Captain got rid of his second-in-command.

Captain puts his Chief Engineer (who he was banging) in the XO spot. Never reports the gap.

Captain proceeds to spend four months without a XO.

Captain continues banging his CHENG/XO.

Junior officers and Chiefs point out the inappropriate relationship to senior enlisted guy, who did nothing.

Captain claimed to be sick, so never left his cabin. He could, however, go on liberty with banging XO/CHENG.

Captain completely blew off commanding.

This went on for for months during a deployment. The crew kept it together.

Fleet commander not amused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Captain puts his Chief Engineer (who he was banging) in the XO spot. Never reports the gap.

Junior officers and Chiefs point out the inappropriate relationship to senior enlisted guy, who did nothing.

Captain claimed to be sick, so never left his cabin. He could, however, go on liberty with banging XO/CHENG.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

My knowledge of how the Navy promotes and assigns officers their duties is something I really know nothing about. I would assume the ISIC  would have designated another officer as temporary/ stand in  XO?

I've never been on cruise whiteout both a XO and CO and when one of the other officers was going to transfer, their replacement would have arrived prior to the off going departing the ship. On my 06' cruise on Port Royal, our MPA transferred and his replacement was flown out to do a turn over.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why would officers, junior or otherwise, go to a senior enlisted man for action or a decision?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple possible reasons:  the CMC has his/her own channel to the ISIC's CMC; there may be a perception that the CMC has little to fear professionally for reporting the issue while JOs would set themselves up for retaliation.  Not saying that either of those is the right reason; just offering some insight.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because if the officers above them are compromised, you'd ask the CMC to try and step in.

Why no one ever reported it outward is anyone's guess...
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My knowledge of how the Navy promotes and assigns officers their duties is something I really know nothing about. I would assume the ISIC  would have designated another officer as temporary/ stand in  XO?

I've never been on cruise whiteout both a XO and CO and when one of the other officers was going to transfer, their replacement would have arrived prior to the off going departing the ship. On my 06' cruise on Port Royal, our MPA transferred and his replacement was flown out to do a turn over.
View Quote

Cruiser CO is typically senior to the DESRON CO and may be senior to the CSG COS.  Cruiser CO deceived the CSG staff about the length of the gap.  He initially put it at two weeks and, according to the report, never really told the ISIC (who could have been much more proactive in the matter) that he delayed the prospective XO's report date significantly.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cruiser CO is typically senior to the DESRON CO and may be senior to the CSG COS.  Cruiser CO deceived the CSG staff about the length of the gap.  He initially put it at two weeks and, according to the report, never really told the ISIC (who could have been much more proactive in the matter) that he delayed the prospective XO's report date significantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh...wow
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A couple possible reasons:  the CMC has his/her own channel to the ISIC's CMC; there may be a perception that the CMC has little to fear professionally for reporting the issue while JOs would set themselves up for retaliation.  Not saying that either of those is the right reason; just offering some insight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go with #2: It is amazing what can be accomplished when you aren't sweating your next promotion.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that she is "innocent" by any means, but I hope that CO has ended his own career with this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Looks like Bernadette from BBT joined the Navy.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Fake tits and a stripper name are not valuable traits in a Naval Officer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OK, I would  really like to think if the  other ships CO's in the CVG even noticed a change in behavior of the crew or the lack of the Cowpens CO on communications. I am sure others in the CVG knew, but did not want to make waves for fear of retribution.

Not the same Navy sadly as 25 years ago.

I remember the CO of the USS Sides had complained about the CO of the Vincennes back in 1988. The Vincennes CO was seen as being reckless and the Sides CO had reported the behavior. It was ignored and eventually the Vincennes was responsible for the shoot-down of the Iranian airliner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Junior officer banged the hermit CO, led the ship for two months without anyone calling home to say "WTF?"

Kharn

OK, I would  really like to think if the  other ships CO's in the CVG even noticed a change in behavior of the crew or the lack of the Cowpens CO on communications. I am sure others in the CVG knew, but did not want to make waves for fear of retribution.

Not the same Navy sadly as 25 years ago.

I remember the CO of the USS Sides had complained about the CO of the Vincennes back in 1988. The Vincennes CO was seen as being reckless and the Sides CO had reported the behavior. It was ignored and eventually the Vincennes was responsible for the shoot-down of the Iranian airliner.

We're spread thin.
Lots of independent steaming these days.
They were a FDNF ship.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that is the normal way.  Apparently this CO was a subscriber to the theory that you haven't had a successful cruiser command unless you've fired an XO, though.  This XO was removed early, so the regular rotation plan was hosed.  I'm at a loss as to why the Group didn't assign a post DH-tour staff guy to COWPENS in the interim though.   It didn't help that the designated replacement was delayed even longer because he failed his sea duty screening for a redacted reason that I'm guessing was a temporary medical or dental issue.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thing is...

Say you're one of the O3 DIVOs or similar.  
You've got the senior rank, outside of the CO/CHENG/XO (literal) clusterfuck.
You know what's going on.  Hell, it's not exactly a secret.  Nothing on a ship is, after all.
You've got access to comms equipment and it surely ain't no thing to get the area commander's battlewatch on the phone.  
Email would take you minutes if you didn't want to call.
The CO/XO/CHENG went ashore...  You could have easily made the call when the ship was tied up and there was absolutely no fear of discovery or retaliation.

...and there are half a dozen people on the ship like this, plus another dozen junior officers, plus a few dozen NCOs.

And nobody said anything.  For four months.

Because, I guess, what's the point?  It's not worth anything to you.  What do you get for sticking your neck out and doing the right thing?  Why take any risk?

Easier to just keep your head down and wait until the deployment is over.

That's a fucking shame.
View Quote

Launch an anonymous report to the IG and stand back.

Having been in a similar situation as a JO, I'd say lack of perspective to compare "normal" to hinders reports outside the lifelines.
And now, having a lot of perspective, it's readily apparrent that, depending on the individual in question and their "reputation in the community", nothing may be done anyway.

Most times the report has to go outside community lifelines to the IG to get any traction, especially when talking about a community "superstar" who was groomed as a JO by the now Flag Officers and whose close friends are the Senior Officers in key positions at the ISIC levels.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A Captain rated five junior officers. The one that couldn't pass a ludicrously easy physical fitness test was rated ahead of his four peers. All of whom passed the test.

That evaluation likely screwed two other officers sufficiently to pass them over for promotion.

Why try when one lukewarm fitness report is enough to torpedo your career, and there is no recourse?

Graf did such a thing to dozens of officers in her career. Good people, who were failed by the Navy because poor leaders are allowed to fester.

Then, we ask where all of the leaders are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The knock on effects of poisonous leadership are really impossible to under-estimate.

I know an O-6 who gave a 1 of 5 EP to a LT who busted his PFA. What message does that send?

I as a civie would like an explanation to what that all means in english.

A Captain rated five junior officers. The one that couldn't pass a ludicrously easy physical fitness test was rated ahead of his four peers. All of whom passed the test.

That evaluation likely screwed two other officers sufficiently to pass them over for promotion.

Why try when one lukewarm fitness report is enough to torpedo your career, and there is no recourse?

Graf did such a thing to dozens of officers in her career. Good people, who were failed by the Navy because poor leaders are allowed to fester.

Then, we ask where all of the leaders are.

When the coffee cup went flying across the Wardroom, the intended target should have excused themselves on the spot and called the IG.
But a tyrant can intimidate everyone into submission.
There is definitely an atmosphere of lack of hope.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The CMC took the hit, as he should have, for the enlisted crew.
Plus there were many more senior people aboard who were under more serious obligations to report and were in positions to have more specific information.

I'd love to hear the "what were you thinking" conversations with the next ranking Officer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's married.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Shouldn't the person who was supposed to be the new XO also notice that although he was promoted and ordered to go to the ship several months ago, he hadn't actually gone there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the report, it sounds like he was still on a training track and attended some planning conferences representing the ship in San Diego as the ship was making her way from 7th Fleet to SD.
The P-XO had no SA of the climate on the ship and so the delay had plausible deniability without that context.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They fired the Command Master Chief (presumably) over this, but wardroom politics are so far outside the realm of some random Petty Officer's knowledge or responsibility that it's irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldnt call the CMC a "random petty officer" they are the SR enlisted guy on the ship and work very closely with the CO/XO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Posted in error
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top