Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There are some fricken amazing painters out there.  The weathering on these is just unreal.  I grabbed most of these from WW2 diorama art on facebook.  About the only good thing about fb.  The mine explosion is awesome, but my favorite is the Jagdtiger

View Quote

What Model of German Tank is this & was that a field add on or original armor around the turret?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The explosion one is just badass. my fav of the group.
View Quote

Amazing
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What Model of German Tank is this & was that a field add on or original armor around the turret?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some fricken amazing painters out there.  The weathering on these is just unreal.  I grabbed most of these from WW2 diorama art on facebook.  About the only good thing about fb.  The mine explosion is awesome, but my favorite is the Jagdtiger

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/wombatturd/model%20diorama/10463015_882533671758584_4137349797297841796_n_zps6a2fdafb.jpg~original

It's a Panzer IV H or J, the armor is factory for those. That is probably a Dragon kit.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
When I used to build the 1/35th scale models, I used to use powdered graphite applied with a Q-tip to make it look like paint worn away to bare steel. Also mixed it in with the mud colored paint to apply on the sides of trucks. Makes the paint clump up. I spent a lot of time building plastic models. Custom cars and military models. Then I would blow them up with firecrakers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
found some more cool ones.  I don't know where I got these, were just saved on my hard drive

pretty cool

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Some more cool stuff :)

I had to use imgur to reupload the OP since photobucket sucks ass.

another cool slposion!!!!

There are more about this one, I'm combing FB right now trying to find them.  Awesome!

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
amazing work
i would actually go to an art museum if it had thing like this
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
All this is giving me the urge to get back into scale modeling. I thought I had some pics of mine uploaded, but apparently not.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The Panther II with the schmall turret is very nice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Amazing stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Awesome!! Too many WWII dioramas are over weathered though. Most of the still operational vehicles at that point are only a few years old if they are lucky are still being maintained regularly by their crews.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy crap, some of those are unbelievable!  There's some talent behind them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
That's AWESOME!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Really awesome stuff.  I'd always wanted to be able to do these types of models but I just do not have the patience...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you still buy Tamiya or other kits?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#21]
some awesome diorama's  

some people have raised the bar from the last time I was really active in the modeling scene
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can you still buy Tamiya or other kits?
View Quote

Yes.  They are quite expensive, however.  Frankly I'm surprised the hobby is still as active as it is because
model kit prices are .
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite subject for 1/35 armor - Modern 20th/21st Century warfare, mainly American/Allied armor from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Currently working (albeit slowly) on a Bronco M1114 Uparmored Humvee; also have the "HA" variant in the wings, with the IED detonation system.

Bronco Models is already coming out with the 1/35 version of the Navistar Maxxpro and the Buffalo MPV.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]
That is amazing work.  I was especially impressed by the illusion of motion he created with the mine blast.  The interiors and weathering strike me as some of the best I've ever seen and I've been reading the modeling rags for 35 years!

One detail that kept catching my eye is the shell impacts on the JagdTiger.  I'd like to know how he gets that effect with plastic.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

absolutely amazing.  When I saw that my jaw dropped.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The explosion one is just badass. my fav of the group.

absolutely amazing.  When I saw that my jaw dropped.  

Yup.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There was another thread on these years ago and it linked to another forum where I followed another thread where a guy was building some plane and he added a little cartoon guy to narrate the pictures. I really wish I could find that forum/thread. He detailed how he did all of it...
View Quote

ChuckW ...on FineScale Modeler.com...I remember that thread it was Helldiver..and it was amazing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My favorite subject for 1/35 armor - Modern 20th/21st Century warfare, mainly American/Allied armor from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-doK-qBx11Yk/UnT88ovVqWI/AAAAAAAAFAM/IjoKe_-tg50/s1600/Resize+of+DSCN1882.JPG

http://www.proartmodels.be/gallery/gal_25/gal_2501.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/16/1b/5b/161b5ba87d6765fe415ae83bc79400cb.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9a/25/9d/9a259ddfd3885d9983f1357fd61c30d3.jpg

Currently working (albeit slowly) on a Bronco M1114 Uparmored Humvee; also have the "HA" variant in the wings, with the IED detonation system.

http://modelcars.com/model-kit-zoom/bronco-models-m1114-uparmored-tactical-humvee-vehicle.jpg

Bronco Models is already coming out with the 1/35 version of the Navistar Maxxpro and the Buffalo MPV.

http://scalemodels.ru/images/2013/12/1386051039_cb35142.jpg

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/article_images_month/2013-11/cb35101.jpg

View Quote
That's some great stuff, I love that M-ATV in particular, salut!

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Abrams tank now need bolt on spacer ammo to defeat the double headed RPGs?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I was really into it pre 2005 before Katrina wiped me out. Years of work and collecting of tools and supplies down the shitter in an instant. I have been thinking of getting back into it again, lots of great kits coming out of China these days.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Not mine, and not WWII, but really cool

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not mine, and not WWII, but really cool

View Quote

Very cool. Title change because I'll look at anything kool

Check this Panther diorama out

And last batch for today.  So much cool stuff

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#34]

And I thought some of these were photos from the preview thumbnails

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#35]
That is some ridiculously cool shit. The ships have to cost a ton.

How do they get the weathered look?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

As an ex modeler, there are tons of different methods and techniques. I did aircraft, where there are some differences (aircraft are aluminum, armor is steel, as I'm sure you know).

The worn edges are dry brushing, pre-shading, pastels or colored chalk is a favorite as well, oil paint washes (you get some burnt umber, thinner, make some coffee looking liquid and paint it where you want), anything goes. Some, like the techniques I mentioned above, are pretty standard but you are limited only by your imagination in how you weather. Somebody is always trying something different. One of the most interesting parts of the hobby.

Thing is, anybody can weather. It is pretty easy. I can guarantee that you could weather that well with a couple of hours of practice. The art is knowing where  to weather and how much. THAT is the trick. Too little or too much and it is unbelievable. And the line crossing from one to the other is often very fine.

I'm interested in the rust on the armor. I wonder if they thinned some red/brown paint too much and/or set their airbrush too high to get that spackled/pitted look?? I've done that by accident before and remember thinking "that makes really good rust".
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As an ex modeler, there are tons of different methods and techniques. I did aircraft, where there are some differences (aircraft are aluminum, armor is steel, as I'm sure you know).

The worn edges are dry brushing, pre-shading, pastels or colored chalk is a favorite as well, oil paint washes (you get some burnt umber, thinner, make some coffee looking liquid and paint it where you want), anything goes. Some, like the techniques I mentioned above, are pretty standard but you are limited only by your imagination in how you weather. Somebody is always trying something different. One of the most interesting parts of the hobby.

Thing is, anybody can weather. It is pretty easy. I can guarantee that you could weather that well with a couple of hours of practice. The art is knowing where  to weather and how much. THAT is the trick. Too little or too much and it is unbelievable. And the line crossing from one to the other is often very fine.

I'm interested in the rust on the armor. I wonder if they thinned some red/brown paint too much and/or set their airbrush too high to get that spackled/pitted look?? I've done that by accident before and remember thinking "that makes really good rust".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna have to try this. I love model ships. Would love to make a mock up of the Spruance class DD987 O'Bannon and give it to my dad.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#38]

As a modeler, that last one with the battleship is shocking.

I spent several minutes looking at it and still am not tired of it.

Of the thousands of dioramas and models, that is in the top 1-3.

Masterful work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#39]
OK so where do I start?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OK so where do I start?
View Quote

I think it depends on what you want.

Do you want to build models that are EXACTLY like the original (rivet counting)? Or are you more concerned with paint jobs?

For somebody just starting, I'd suggest focusing on one aspect, for now. Some of those models can take 1-2 years easy and 5+ is not unheard of. THAT is the level of some of these. They are very much art work in every sense of the word.

You'll need supplies and a setup. Fortunately, modelling is pretty cheap to get into. A full setup (not including compressor or airbrush) can be built for easily $100. TONS of items are $1-$5. Hobby Lobby is good. THey have sales every 30 days or so rotating between the different departments you visit regularly. So, some area is always on super sale.

Kits come from the internet, usually. Depends on how accurate and specialty you want them, especially for photo etched harnesses and such. You'll find that the kits are the cheap part.

If I were getting into it for the first time and wanted to play with painting and weathering. I'd go get a snap together kit of a tank, plane, or boat. Then I would find a site/forum and, after lots of reading, simply try every single technique, just to get used to it and see what it is like. Then, go from there.

Modeling is a rabbit hole you can easily get lost going down.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you want to build models that are EXACTLY like the original (rivet counting)? Or are you more concerned with paint jobs?

For somebody just starting, I'd suggest focusing on one aspect, for now. Some of those models can take 1-2 years easy and 5+ is not unheard of. THAT is the level of some of these. They are very much art work in every sense of the word.

You'll need supplies and a setup. Fortunately, modelling is pretty cheap to get into. A full setup (not including compressor or airbrush) can be built for easily $100. TONS of items are $1-$5. Hobby Lobby is good. THey have sales every 30 days or so rotating between the different departments you visit regularly. So, some area is always on super sale.

Kits come from the internet, usually. Depends on how accurate and specialty you want them, especially for photo etched harnesses and such. You'll find that the kits are the cheap part.

If I were getting into it for the first time and wanted to play with painting and weathering. I'd go get a snap together kit of a tank, plane, or boat. Then I would find a site/forum and, after lots of reading, simply try every single technique, just to get used to it and see what it is like. Then, go from there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK so where do I start?

Thanks. I just want to 'waste' some time and hopefully have something to put on the bookshelf when I'm done. I'll look up some forums and maybe take a trip to Hobby Lobby.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome thread.

I don't have the patience to build and paint models but those who do are cool as shit.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Awesome thread.

I don't have the patience to build and paint models but those who do are cool as shit.
View Quote

Yea most people don't have time but you can always find these types of dioramas for sale by the builders they like to build them then put them up for sale on E-bay or the scale model forums. Usually bidding wars ensue because they are basically considered one of a kind artwork. These nicer ones would easily go for over $2k and up.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#44]
So, it has been several years since I built anything. Love it, but lack of space made it a pain. Would take me 30 minutes to setup and 30 minutes to disassemble my workstation. Sometimes, you need to do something that takes all of five minutes and, well, it just wasn't worth it. You really need a permanent station.

Anyway, since then, HDD crashes, file cleanup, etc. has taken nearly all of my pics (I didn't have that many to begin with as I preferred doing a model very, very slowly and to my specs) but I salvaged a total of two.

The first, I think, is more representative of what the average Joe can do with standard equipment and time.

Tamiya 1:72 P-51B cockpit with Eduard photo etched harnesses. Dry brushing on radios, oil wash on floorboard, everything is air brushed. Yeah, the 85 gallon aux tank is the wrong color. Got my painting out of order.

For reference a quarter would easily most of that up.

Here is a snap of painting supplies. This does not include all paint. My pic of supplies is gone. It was pretty sweet

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#45]
A diorama of a duece here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbUVBgwVLo
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Some WWI action.

I think this one may be in a glass coffee table.

1/6 scale.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks OP for starting the thread and all others for posting more.

WOW. Amazing stuff.

I used to build models, mostly armor, in my younger years but kind of stopped. Out of over 100 or so models I only ever kept one. Decent I'd say, definitely not up to the level of the ones posted, but pretty good. I need to get back into this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

WOW. Amazing stuff.

I used to build models, mostly armor, in my younger years but kind of stopped. Out of over 100 or so models I only ever kept one. Decent I'd say, definitely not up to the level of the ones posted, but pretty good. I need to get back into this.
View Quote

I was really into painting miniatures in my teens.  I've been wanting to get back into it.  It was very fun, and relaxing.  I just stumbled on these amazing pics on facebook while looking up weathering examples, and my jaw dropped.  I had no idea the talent, and dedication some folks have.  I really want to do a Panther and King Tiger.  Just something sexy about those tanks
This is a diorama from warhammer 40k.  Just unreal.    http://www.coolminiornot.com/345118?browseid=7325892

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I was really into painting miniatures in my teens.  I've been wanting to get back into it.  It was very fun, and relaxing.  I just stumbled on these amazing pics on facebook while looking up weathering examples, and my jaw dropped.  I had no idea the talent, and dedication some folks have.  I really want to do a Panther and King Tiger.  Just something sexy about those tanks

This is a diorama from warhammer 40k.  Just unreal.    http://www.coolminiornot.com/345118?browseid=7325892

http://i.imgur.com/zXbJBt2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/alpLQk6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaB1YLYnqu0

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW. Amazing stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/zXbJBt2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/alpLQk6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaB1YLYnqu0

Holy.  Shit.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top