Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 9:28:18 AM EDT

Cable guy coming tomorrow.
Should I have him install a network cable modem  or the USB 2.0 type?
Is Zonealarm good enough or do I need a hardware firewall?

TIA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Network type.
Less load on the computer, and easier to expand and to maintain.
ZoneAlarm Pro would be good enough for me, although I added a hardware firewall/router, too. (Linksys BEFSR41)
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd definitely go with the network cable modem, as this is much more flexible in the long run.

I used to use ZoneAlarm for years and in the last year have switched to Sygate Personal Firewall.  I needed flexibility that ZA simply did not offer (like the ability to block by port# and/or protocol ID vs. just IP address).

Welcome to the world of broadband.  Once you've got it, you'll never go back.  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No reason to tie up one of your USB ports. I use Zonealarm and it works just fine. Get a hardware firewall if you think you need the added security, but they can be rather expensive, hundreds of dollars.
View Quote

Only if you go with serious firewalls.  DLink and SMC now have routers that do Stateful Packet Inspection for under $60.  I just had to replace my router (too many wall blobs and plugged the wrong DC adapter into the damn thing) and got a DLink 604.  It's nice and has decent logging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top