Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 6:56:55 AM EDT
This happened in my town last night.

[url]http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/1/014530-8881-092.html[/url]

Everyone who says they're a LEO, aren't, either.  I want to see a MARKED car, or I'm shooting.

QS
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
In the words of Sonny Corleone
"Hey listen, I want somebody good, and I
       mean very good, to plant that gun. I don't want my brother comin' out of that toilet with just his dick in his hands, all
       right?"
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Oly, checking BS meter.............

I think there are a few problems with that story.

2330 - Fake DEA Agents enter house

They handcuff the victim and take him for a "long ride"

They duct tape his ankles, and cover his head with duct tape, except for a breathing slit, and an ear opening.

Victim convinces suspect to that he can raise $2500 in ransom.

They drive him back to the city they started in and start making calls.

They set up a "ransom" pick up, and are captured.

15 minutes after the "ransom" pick up the victim, who is supposedly handcuffed and duct taped walks into a Steak-n-Shake.

Is it just me or are there some real problems with that story?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why it is almost always standard operating procedure to have a uniformed leo on warrant or arrest situations.  However, in a routine investiagation (where no expectation of confrontation exists) it would be very common to have two plainclothed detectives or agents interview someone.

I think you would agree that the best tactic might be to ask to see identification through a peephole b/f shooting, yes?  

I am not personally aware of any police impersonators in a home breakin who actually had identification (but I'm confident someone here might locate somthing).

BTW I always answer the door with a gun in my hands as well [:D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, absolutely..but I'm not a)letting anyone in without a warrant, and UNIFORMED cops there too or b) shooting anyone through the door.

I'd rather have to explain these two dead motherfuckers in my entrance hall than explain these two dead motherfuckers on my porch, if you'll pardon the French.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is why it is almost always standard operating procedure to have a uniformed leo on warrant or arrest situations.  However, in a routine investiagation (where no expectation of confrontation exists) it would be very common to have two plainclothed detectives or agents interview someone.

I think you would agree that the best tactic might be to ask to see identification through a peephole b/f shooting, yes?  

I am not personally aware of any police impersonators in a home breakin who actually had identification (but I'm confident someone here might locate somthing).

BTW I always answer the door with a gun in my hands as well [:D]
View Quote

Also, doing an interview at 11:30 pm?  Bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh, absolutely..but I'm not a)letting anyone in without a warrant, and UNIFORMED cops there too or b) shooting anyone through the door.

I'd rather have to explain these two dead motherfuckers in my entrance hall than explain these two dead motherfuckers on my porch, if you'll pardon the French.

View Quote

WOW!! You must be rich. I wish I had an entrance hall.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
You'd have to handcuff me and put a gun to my head to get me to go to Cracker Barrel.

This story does sound fishy. I wonder if the alleged victim just happened to owe somebody else $2500, and though this would be a good way to get flush.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish to hell I'd ALWAYS answered my door w/weapon in hand [:|] and thats all I got to say about that!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Heck they could have fake ID's![nono]

I would tell them through the locked door...Hold on a second...And go call the police saying that you have a break in attempt![pound]

Of course you could circle around back and come up behind them and hold them until the cop's get there!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Presented this scenario to a very well known shooting writer and self-defense expert last summer.  

I really can't blame him, but he didn't like this question one bit:

There's been a ton of recent news coverage regarding home invaders loudly announcing themselves as LE and mimicking dynamic entry techniques ( [I]ala[/i] the TV show COPS) by yelling "POLICE - SEARCH WARRANT!" and "Everybody get down on the floor with your hands on your head!"  Since there's very little to no time to take down badge numbers and call the local precinct, what should an armed homeowner do and specifically at what point should they engage the invaders?

To make a long story short, his answer was to follow the orders given by those identifying themselves as cops up and until the point that you can be 100% sure that they aren't, only then should you take action.

Well, I countered, what if that moment of realization comes after I'm held face down at gunpoint in my kitchen?  It's all over but the crying at that point.

His response was that this tactic has historically only be used by the illegal drug element on other rival illegal drug elements.  So therefore, since I'm not a drug dealer I shouldn't really concern myself with it.  

Be that as it may says I, there's nothing that makes me think that bad guys wouldn't start employing this during their run-of-the-mill home invasions, right?  

Sadly, he just answered that question by re-phrasing and reiterating his previous answers and I dropped the whole point.

It's mega-quagmire - what can you use in your defense when you're on trial for killing a couple of cops in your foyer?  It was late, I was tired and confused?  Good luck with that!  The only thing you've got going for you is that your future roommates will usually have great respect for a cop killer (which will be of little solace if you live in a death penalty state - because if that's the case there's a needle in your future).  On the other hand, who's wants to be right - but dead at the same time?

That being said - I agree with Oly, the whole story as printed smells fishy, or should I say "druggy"?

What would I do?  Well, that's not something appropriate for discussion in public in my opinion and more importantly nobodies business but my own.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well shit, are you telling me that the claymore in the rosebushes isn't a good idea?
Ya know, you trip off one claymore, and you can't ever get pizza delivered again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep. It's probably been a whole week sonce someone has posted a link to a story about a SWAT team raiding the wrong house.  

That gives me no comfort.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I live on the second floor.
NO ONE comes to my apt EVER!
I like it that way.

When ever I hear feet hit those stairs my gun is in my hand. Most of the time its SOLICITORS. I don't even open the door.
Now that I actually have next door neihbors, I wait till I hear thier door or not.

Call me paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well shit, are you telling me that the claymore in the rosebushes isn't a good idea?
Ya know, you trip off one claymore, and you can't ever get pizza delivered again.
View Quote

I tried that...thank God they just opened a Donato's here in town, the goddamn Papa John's manager won't send anyone here anymore...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had several people ask me before "why do you carry a gun" or "why do you answer the door with a gun?"

To which I calmly reply, "Because it would be foolish not to."

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
[i]I want to see a MARKED car[/i]

I hope that's not all.  Seattle PD is looking for one that was stolen yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=4048[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#21]
How about you ask them to show you the warrant.
Just slide under the door officer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
govtthug,  nice sign.  think i will print it and hang it in my door.  "hey... cant they read the sign.  i didnt know who the hell it was.  im a paranoid person.  thats why i put that sign there.  they kicked in the door... i shot them."  
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hell, I give out candy on Halloween with my Kimber on my hip and my Benelli leaning against the sofa.
View Quote

Note to self: No tricks at Jarheads house.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Moving back to the original thread, we had a break-in nearby where a couple of people were beaten and a girl was raped.

The guys that busted down the door were yelling "Police!" and had police identification on their clothes.

We also had some guy pulling people over and raping women drivers. He had a blue dash light that he would turn on. Obviously, most drivers stopped.

Can't be too careful.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top