Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 1:21:11 AM EDT
I'll be damned if I can't get it out of my head. It just felt right....but I'm gonna see if I can shoot it before I drop a grand on it. I have a shotgun that is only 2+1 and I spend a lot of time stuffing shells. But this damn thing just seems fun. Anybody own one? Shot one?

Pics are always fun
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Have not but sounds like fun,...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I worked at a range and got to shoot an 870 SSS all the time.   It got to the point I would just one hand it even with full power buck and slugs.

If you use a good "push/pull" pushing out on the VFG, and pulling in on the PG with a good amount of force (just enough to not shake) you can keep the gun about a foot in front of you, aim down the top of the receiver, and be very accurate.
Hand size depends on if the stock grip will chew your hands up.  Too big or too small, and it'll probably suck.  Mine are just the right size.   Lot of customers got the recoil reducing PG's.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm waiting for mine to be delivered.

This will be mounted in my truck.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked at a range and got to shoot an 870 SSS all the time.   It got to the point I would just one hand it even with full power buck and slugs.

If you use a good "push/pull" pushing out on the VFG, and pulling in on the PG with a good amount of force (just enough to not shake) you can keep the gun about a foot in front of you, aim down the top of the receiver, and be very accurate.

Hand size depends on if the stock grip will chew your hands up.  Too big or too small, and it'll probably suck.  Mine are just the right size.   Lot of customers got the recoil reducing PG's.  
View Quote

Which PG's? Is it a knoxx?

What kind of patterns does it hold at ranges? I'm assuming just awful.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had one since 06ish.   They're fun, but ultimately a novelty.   Best part about owning them is letting others shoot them.

You'd be better off just getting a beater 870, Form 1'ing it, and then you can have the best of both worlds... Pistol grip, and when you realize how shitty those are, you can put a stock on it.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've had one since 06ish.   They're fun, but ultimately a novelty.   Best part about owning them is letting others shoot them.

http://i.imgur.com/OqdRTsf.jpg?1

You'd be better off just getting a beater 870, Form 1'ing it, and then you can have the best of both worlds... Pistol grip, and when you realize how shitty those are, you can put a stock on it.  

http://i.imgur.com/MGGakfu.jpg?1
View Quote

Damn....that sbs is sexy. Who did the barrel and sights? Also, is it possible to run chokes on short barrels or is the barrel the wrong I.D.?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn....that sbs is sexy. Who did the barrel and sights? Also, is it possible to run chokes on short barrels or is the barrel the wrong I.D.?
View Quote

It's a factory Remington barrel.  Trijicon 3 dot rifle sights on it.  It's a Modified choke barrel.   I'm sure you coudl send one off, and have it threaded for screw in chokes.    
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's a factory Remington barrel.  Trijicon 3 dot rifle sights on it.  It's a Modified choke barrel.   I'm sure you coudl send one off, and have it threaded for screw in chokes.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't aware they sold short barrels. Is it 12"?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You may also want to look into Safety Harbors KEG12.

View Quote

Wasn't aware of them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[I wasn't aware they sold short barrels. Is it 12"?
View Quote

It's a 14 inch barrel.  

Remington does not sell directly to peasants.   You will have to get one from a vendor.  

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=423245153

This is a standard rifle sight barrel... He has the trijicon night sight versions for $185.  SMOKING deal as far as I'm concerned.  

I got mine from this guy.   SUPER cool dude.  He talked to me on the phone for like 45 minutes about how awesome 870s are.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#12]
12 inch barrel is flush with the mag tube.  
14 inch barrel is flush with a +1 extension.  

I went 14 because I knew Remington made factory barrels in that length.   It really handles well. (still a range toy for me though)
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Yes!   Was trying to remember the name.  

It worked OK.

Digging deep to remember the patter...  IIRC 10-12 yards would keep most the pellets COM with some outliers.  25 yards (max at the range) it was all over a B-27 target.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, Pistol grips (both PGO and stocked) benefit from the 870 safety position.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the 870 Super Shorty. I worked there for about 5 years and got one after I came back to Tenn.
They are pretty fun. Everyone that fires it comes away smiling. Just like firing a  .50
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the 870 Super Shorty. I worked there for about 5 years and got one after I came back to Tenn.
They are pretty fun. Everyone that fires it comes away smiling. Just like firing a  .50
View Quote

You've got a decent resume. You worked at Barrett as well didn't you?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was curious about that, I shoot remington shotguns already but wasn't sure about the SSS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Bastard

But seriously, good on you. I imagine it would be a blast to work for either place.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:12:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had one for 5 years or so. Fun little piece.

I'm glad I bought mine for $700, I'd have to pass at a grand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was curious about that, I shoot remington shotguns already but wasn't sure about the SSS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea the mossberg tang safety is SUPER awkward with a pistol grip. The 870 is fine.
Plus, 870's are built better, but that is just my opinion.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bastard

But seriously, good on you. I imagine it would be a blast to work for either place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Bastard

Working at Serbu was an absolute riot. If the wife didn't want to come back to Tenn so bad, I would still be working there.
Work in the machine shop a bit, build some guns, shoot a few guns, go to Hooters for extended lunches. Mark was a riot.
Working at Barrett was fun for quite some time till he hired in an efficiency expert to run the place. It went to hell in a hand cart fast. They just looked for petty reasons to give warnings.  Got to be that I hated going in for about the last year and a half I worked there.
There were other reasons things didn't go so well for a lot of people, but won't go into it publicly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:53:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There's also the Shotty by TAC2 in Greenville, TN. Built from a Mossberg 500 and under $600.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg180/parabellumklr/DSC_0025.jpg
View Quote

I like Mossberg 500's but I couldn't buy it just because of the word "shotty".  That's just gay.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's also the Shotty by TAC2 in Greenville, TN. Built from a Mossberg 500 and under $600.

View Quote

Really?  Shotty?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I like Mossberg 500's but I couldn't buy it just because of the word "shotty".  That's just gay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black high heat spray paint how does it work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've had one for 5 years or so. Fun little piece.

I'm glad I bought mine for $700, I'd have to pass at a grand.
View Quote

I've got a Super Shorty and the comment above is about right.

Great shotgun if you're defending the front seat from an attack from the rear seat, otherwise pretty much a novelty act.
I guess if your job was removing hinges and doorknobs at high speed it would be a legitimate tool.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Really?  Shotty?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Shotty?
What's wrong with that?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What's wrong with that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Shotty?
What's wrong with that?

It's kind of like calling an AR an assault rifle. It just feels wrong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

But it's a Mossturd.

ETA: Liberal scaring points for having a shoulder thing that goes up though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top