Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 7:31:29 AM EDT
I thought she'd get more.

LINK

The mother of a mentally ill man who fell 10 feet to his death from a building ledge after an NYPD cop tasered him has accepted $700,000 from the city to settle a federal lawsuit, the Daily News has learned.

Olga Negron had filed the wrongful death action on behalf of her son Iman Morales, who was flailing at cops with a fluorescent bulb Sept. 24, 2008, in Brooklyn when Emergency Service Unit Lt. Michael Pigott ordered an officer to zap him.

Morales pitched forward and hit his head on the pavement.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That incident took "tunnel-vision" to the next level. Not even sure, really, what you'd call it.

I'll be the first to admit, my first instinct is usually to sympathize with the cops, but... holy shit, that was dumb.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll be the first to admit, my first instinct is usually to sympathize with the cops, but... holy shit, that was dumb.
View Quote

The ESU Lieutenant seemed to have realized that several days later.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Something more had to have been brewing in his mind to make him want to leave his family by committing suicide after this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Shit sandwich all the way around

IIRC dude was off his meds for awhile
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Something more had to have been brewing in his mind to make him want to leave his family by committing suicide after this.
View Quote

He committed suicide after they said they were charging him with manslaughter in the death, which was accidental...regardless of stupidity. A guy waving a florescent lightbulb is waving a deadly weapon. A guy I worked with took fifty stitches in his forearm when he broke a florescent that fell and struck him. Try taking that in the face, neck, eye....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He committed suicide after they said they were charging him with manslaughter in the death, which was accidental...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He committed suicide after they said they were charging him with manslaughter in the death, which was accidental...

The DA actually said charges were unlikely. He thought he was going to be charged because the department brass kept telling him that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
She settled cheap. What kind of bonus does the NYC guy that negotiated that deal get?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this the case where the naked man jumped up on the window awning?  Somebody on 4channel made an event by event jpeg of that incident; looked like a f-d up event, but it wasn't exactly smart for them to taze a naked man 15 feet up in the air--lotsa blood on the ground after he fell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is this the case where the naked man jumped up on the window awning?
View Quote

Yes.
I didn't want to post pics because I thought they might not be CoC compliant.

ETA: Cropped pic of incident.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Temp/Screenshot2014-06-17at12832PM_zpsb0c30014.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this the case where the naked man jumped up on the window awning?

Yes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Temp/Screenshot2014-06-17at12832PM_zpsb0c30014.png
I believe this is the case that they discussed in our Taser training when they were talking about when NOT to use the darned thing.  Now I'll be darned if I know how to get a crazy man with a fluorescent bulb off of a building ledge but I do know that the Taser is not the preferred method.  Of course this is all in 20/20 hind sight.  Kinda like the part where they told us not to get cats out of trees with our shotguns.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He committed suicide after they said they were charging him with manslaughter in the death, which was accidental...regardless of stupidity. A guy waving a florescent lightbulb is waving a deadly weapon. A guy I worked with took fifty stitches in his forearm when he broke a florescent that fell and struck him. Try taking that in the face, neck, eye....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a guy up on a ledge waving a light bulb is posing a deadly threat to the officers.
The officers could have just moved far enough away so as not be within
striking distance and just waited the loon out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This seems to be a technique which officers are no longer trained in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought ESU was some kind of elite unit, best of the best and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#16]
So what was the proper course of action?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So what was the proper course of action?
View Quote
I'm thinking you offer him a sandwich or a donut or something.  Even seriously crazy people need to eat from time-to-time.  Or you get a light bulb of your own and in your best Darth Vader voice you challenge him to a duel.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I watched a sgt. of mine back in the day try to taze a guy that took off across 6 lanes of 60mph traffic.  Luckily, he didn't hit him because he would have clearly got ran over. He still got hit by a car (the third lane over) and pummeled about 30 feet into a roll right back to his feet and continued on.  We never found the guy but I bet he hurt the next morning!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought ESU was some kind of elite unit, best of the best and all that jazz.
View Quote

You tell me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]
A start.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So a guy up on a ledge waving a light bulb is posing a deadly threat to the officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of variables there...was there windows behind the guy, did he pose a threat to anyone else...could he have run, broken perimeter? No one told the guy to wave the fluorescent light around and I'm not going to rush a guy waving one around...

A deadly weapon is a deadly weapon, even ordinary objects can be wielded as deadly weapons...  It sucks that the cop was ordered to do it and didn't think about the results, but he could argue that "Hey, I tasered the guy because my other option was to shoot him...."
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lots of variables there...was there windows behind the guy, did he pose a threat to anyone else...could he have run, broken perimeter?
View Quote

Picture of the scene as it was happening.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of variables there...was there windows behind the guy, did he pose a threat to anyone else...could he have run, broken perimeter?

Picture of the scene as it was happening.
That changes everything.  I'd just call the fire department and let them figure it out.  It's not against the law to be crazy.  Someone told me me an old Polish saying the other day, "Not my circus, not my monkey."  NYPD screwed up by having joinder with the guy in the first place.  They could have jumped in and arrested the guy once the FD got him down.  Even if he decided to run how far could a totally naked crazy guy make it in New York?  Not that far would be my best guess.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top