Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 10:36:29 AM EDT
I want a used 4-wheeler, Which ones are best? I know Honda makes good stuff, but Polaris has alot of power and seem to cost less on the used market. opinions?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I can vouch for honda.  I have been riding honda motorcycles since I could ride a bike (23 now).  My dad has a 1986 Honda 200SX that has been rolled, wheels ripped off, etc. and still is a great 4-wheeler.  I have not had much experience with other makers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That depends on what you want to do with the atv. Do you want a sport atv for high speed and excellent handling that can take the jumps like a motocross bike but does not pull things well and is not a 4-wheel drive atv or do you want a utility atv that doesn't handle as well at break neck speeds but has tons of torque for exploring the mountains and working on the ranch pulling things???

I've owned hondas and they are very reliable. I still have a honda 250trx that was built in 1984. It's used every day of the year. So far the only item that has been replaced was the battery. The new hondas are reliable and have a plush ride but not as powerful as say a yamaha, polaris or kawasaki.

I also own a kawasaki 2002 prairie 650 and a 2003 prairie 360. These bikes are 4-wheel drive speed demons. The 650 will do well over 65 mph and has the capability of locking all four tires into the drive system. These have been very reliable for the first 500 miles i've had them but they do not start up as fast as the yamahas and hondas.

In my area used bikes bring almost as much money as a new one. Alot of the atv companys are offering 0 down, 0 payment 0 interst for 6 months and 5.6% interest for the remainder of the loan. I'd go new if you can afford it, you never know how the used bike was treated. FYI I payed $5300 for the p360 and $6700 for the p650. It's alot of money but if I can get 10 years out of these it's money well spent.

Test ride every atv you can get your hands on, you'll be amazed at how each one handles.

check this forum for atv's out. [url]www.atvconnection.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
One reason used Polaris atv's are cheaper is the Independant Rear Suspension. It gives a very plush ride but there is alot more that can and will go wrong. There is more upkeep with IRS atv's and the older ones sported over 20 (i've heard up to 38 but cannot confirm)grease zerks you must find and grease.

The yamaha's I've seen lately are VERY well built and seem to have good reliability.

The new polaris 700 sportsman has had some problems and the local dealers cannot give them away. You can pick up a new 700 for $5600. Thats less than what the sale price on the 500 sportsmen are.

Bombardier shouldn't be counted out either. Most atv companys offer a 6 month warranty. Bombardier gives you a 3 year warranty and they use Rotax engines= very reliable. Plus they have a new 2 seater atv that I'd love to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top