Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 11:57:45 AM EDT
A question:

In 90 days the bars and clubs of NYC will be designated as non-smoking.  The new law states that the only bars/resraurants that may permit smoking are those that have 6 or fewer owners who all work at the establishment.  This means no non-owner employees.

Could the establishment issue "shares" of the company for the term of an employees shift that would make that server a temporary "owner" for the duration of their shift, thus circumventing this law?

The shares could be .01% of the company that would expire at the end of the day.

I don't have a copy of this law, if anyone does please point me to a link.  Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Something was done in Boulder when I lived near there in '96   Smoking restrants had to have a seperate room with its own ventilation system, and I remember most of the bars we went to you had to go out on the deck to smoke.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can't find the damn clause about ownership terms, but:

22. Membership associations; provided however, that smoking shall only be allowed in membership associations in which all of the duties with respect to the operation of such association, including, but not limited to, the preparation of food and beverages, the service of food and beverages, reception and secretarial work, and the security services of the membership association are performed by members of such membership association who do not receive compensation of any kind from the membership association or any other entity for the performance of such duties.

If the cover charge was a drink coupon and a "membership" we could avoid this whole thing.  This may be the way around it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
How are you supposed to tell which chiks are easy and go down, if they aren't smoking?????

TXLEWIS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top