Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2003 5:17:48 PM EDT
Do I have to spend a couple bucks to get these features back? Or is it just a glitch?

Minnesota shoot!

Saturday, January 18th... 11:00 AM
WestBranch Gun Club machine-gun pit.
Almost 100 yards!
PRINCETON, MINNESOTA
We have a warm trailer to shoot from!
Cost: approximately $10!

Email me for details, or go to "Minnesota" forum.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to spend a couple dollars. $1.66 per month to be exact.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=162574[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL...I knew it without reading the tack.

PayPal will be sent shortly.

Does this mean I can have an avatar under my name now?

SWEET.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
i just put in for the membership tonight.. hope it gets activated soon. I like that My active topics button.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
THAT FUKIN SUX!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
BooHoo

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
GREAT! Now I'll have to send a check and wait Eighty weeks for the fucking service to be turned on!

SHIT!

I should call the better business bureau!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]LMAO!

I'm writing the BATF for an opinion on this B.S.![/b]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
What a bunch of whiney crackers!  (Can I say that in this thread? [;)])
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
GREAT! Now I'll have to send a check and wait Eighty weeks for the fucking service to be turned on!

SHIT!

I should call the better business bureau!
View Quote

Ha Ha!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Screw the Platinum, Gold and Bronze.

I want to be a [b][size=4]BLACK MEMBER[/size=4][/b]

Ok, maybe we could call it CARBIDE

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I broke down and got the cheapskate, er, I mean Bronze Membership.  

$60 was a bit much for me, and my wife would have had kittens.

This new system is GREAT!

Thank you Goatboy for making the site affordable as well.  And it is much faster.

Come on Markm, $20 on paypal isnt that bag for CS.  Oh, and see you Saturday.  Just loaded up on SA and some remington .223 to shoot some full auto.  WEEEEHOOO

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm..HR...

You MIGHT want to watch that offer. It is akin to offering a membership to "only" christians, or "only" jews, or "only" whatevers.

I think you should just give the membership to Capitalist. He is one of your kind.

I can bitch now. I already Paypalled for a Gold Membership. However, I think I would kick-in another $20 for a special moniker such as:

1. HUGE MEMBER (I qualify in many ways)
2. DONT-RE MEMBER
3. CANT-RE MEMBER
4. THIRD MEMBER
5. SHITTY MEMBER (That's the $5/year group)
6. HORNY MEMBER ("I'd hit it!" crowd)
7. IGNORANT MEMBER (McUzi-esque posters)

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:You MIGHT want to watch that offer. It is akin to offering a membership to "only" christians, or "only" jews, or "only" whatevers.
View Quote

what would be wrong with that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, whatever....

So, can I get the HUGE membership or not???[;D]

If I didnt understand, I would'nt have bought the membership!

I guess a being a GOLD member is almost as good as being a HUGE member.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL! I am sure I am just asking to be flamed, banned for life, etc, etc, but this place is really turning into a big joke. Just one big circle jerk. It used to be a great site where I spent absurd amounts of time. Yes, I used bandwidth, yes I am grateful for the site being free. But this board seems to have been taken over by a bunch of little yuppie brown nosing self congratulating bitchs (no offense). I would worry about offending people I remember as being genuinely good people,  but I am sure that my post will be deleted before many people read it anyway. This board now has classes? What happened with the idea of just being members or not? Or just having everybody be the same? Well? Oh, I know guys...if I want to join the club, just pay some money and they will put a cute little platinum label by my name, to ensure that everybody knows I am a better member. Everybody here is equal, some are just more equal than others. [rolleyes] Oh yeah, services are now being suspended for non members, so they are not really equal at all. Am I whining about this? NO! I am a big boy and I know that this is private property of the Avila's and I respect the right of them to do whatever they wish with it. But come on guys, different classes of members, taking away services that have historically been free?

Goatboy, is there any way that I can pay to have my search rights restored without having some stupid label under my name? I can donate money to the site but I don't want to pay for some stupid label. I want my board name to be Rickyj, not Gold Rickyj, Bronze Rickyj or any of that other bullshit. I come here to here what other people with my interests think, not to try to be a member of this new little elitist movement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#28]
How about this...

I feel that new people visiting this site will NOT get as much out of it because they do not know what they are missing. This will lead to a LOWER number of new, paying members.

I think GB should have a "free trial" type of thing (which is exactly what us past non-members had) to get people hooked. Then, when they dont have search or M.A.T., they will see what they are missing and maybe cough-up the $20.

If this is done, and if membership was a flat $30, I think it could achieve growth and possible self-sustaining cash flow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL! I am sure I am just asking to be flamed, banned for life, etc, etc, but this place is really turning into a big joke. Just one big circle jerk. It used to be a great site where I spent absurd amounts of time. Yes, I used bandwidth, yes I am grateful for the site being free. But this board seems to have been taken over by a bunch of little yuppie brown nosing self congratulating bitchs (no offense). I would worry about offending people I remember as being genuinely good people,  but I am sure that my post will be deleted before many people read it anyway. This board now has classes? What happened with the idea of just being members or not? Or just having everybody be the same? Well? Oh, I know guys...if I want to join the club, just pay some money and they will put a cute little platinum label by my name, to ensure that everybody knows I am a better member. Everybody here is equal, some are just more equal than others. [rolleyes] Oh yeah, services are now being suspended for non members, so they are not really equal at all. Am I whining about this? NO! I am a big boy and I know that this is private property of the Avila's and I respect the right of them to do whatever they wish with it. But come on guys, different classes of members, taking away services that have historically been free?

Goatboy, is there any way that I can pay to have my search rights restored without having some stupid label under my name? I can donate money to the site but I don't want to pay for some stupid label. I want my board name to be Rickyj, not Gold Rickyj, Bronze Rickyj or any of that other bullshit. I come here to here what other people with my interests think, not to try to be a member of this new little elitist movement.
View Quote

I don't suppose a "good-bye" thread is coming out of this post?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Just in case I didn't make myself unpopular enough with my last post here is another try: [:D]

After I finished my last post I had what I would think is a great idea. How about we post a donation fraction instead of a platinum, gold, etc. scheme? This would be very simple and give a true measure on who was really helping out the site instead of being a freeloader. A simple equation would work great [red][size=6] (amount donated to site)/bandwidth used) [/size=6][/red]

This would also add a little touch of reality to the arguments of many of the "gold members"

I am guessing that with my lil' 56k modem, my infrequent use of the search feature, and my complete lack of topics and replies posted with pictures my twenty dollar donation would cover a [b]much[/b] higher percentage of my personal bandwidth use than the hundred dollar donation of the people with DSL lines, thousands of replies, hundreds of topics, and heavy use of graphics and search.

Or am I crazy? How much of the bandwidth is being used by a few people? I am guessing that most of the members and guests at this site post little, search less, and in general take up a small fraction of the bandwidth being used. We all know that there are a few people who read every topic, search often, and with thousands of posts. What percentage of the bandwidth do these "superposters" use?

All I know is that with the amount of bandwidth I use twenty dollars is a hell of a lot more than the sixty dollars that Imbroglio is paying for his 7500+ posts (sorry Imbroglio). Yet he will be recognized as donating more to the site and receive:

GOLD Membership - $60 a Year
(All Bronze Membership functionality is included!)

AR15.com EMAIL ADDRESS
A simple mail redirect to an existing mail account.

[red]A FULLY FUNCTIONAL email service![/red] You will get a pop3 account on mail.ar15.com and will be able to access email through either your email client or through a web client. We've made this THE email account to have! It includes:
[YOURNICK]@ar15.com
Spam Mail Filtering
AntiVirus Protection
Full Web Client (  )
[red]10 MEGS of disk space for large file transfers[/red]

PHOTO GALLERY SERVER
Members will be able to create virtual photo "Galleries" online and upload pictures to them.
Public or Private albums for keeping pictures from prying eyes, or for sharing with others!
[red]10 MEGS of disk space for image storing[/red]
Unlimited galleries
Simple user tools to create, edit, move, and delete pictures or galleries
URLs to images right in your albums for easy linking
Open linking to other sites for sharing, use on EBAY, etc (If abused, individual linking right will be removed!)

GIVEAWAY BONUS
You will receive one extra entry per giveaway! (2 per giveaway!)
View Quote

What does this stuff cost? Is this and more really being covered by the $40 increase in donation? Just sounds like too much bull to me.

Edited to fix my fraction
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Have to add before I go to bedtime:

If I don't reply and you think it is just because I am being a bitch, IM me, because without [b]My Active Topics[/b] I have no way of knowing. [:D]

Do you guys really think it is fair to charge the people with 200 posts over two years $20 if they want to search while Redmanfms, who has averaged over 6 posts a day during his membership, also pays $20 for the same "privilege"[?]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I am, and will continually be a bronze member.  As you can truly see by the post count verses member status, most of the guys who are sucking up the bandwidth are happy to pay for the platinum.

I could care less.  No one on this board is going to look down on me because I paid less.

When I was freeloading, I was still treated well.  So I do not understand the point.  

No one is going to mock you for being a bronze member.  Membership is good, but as everyone has said, not required.

So pay up, or don't.  You will still be welcome in my eyes, as well as everyone else.

Those extras, like the server space, don't cost anything more, but they are "perks" to paying more.  If there were not "perks," what would be the justification for paying more?

Well, enough of that.  See you on the next post.

AZTrooper
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:23:45 AM EDT
[#33]
How long does it take for membership to kick in? I ponied up my money for a Bronze a few days ago, and I am still logging on as a "peon."
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Hmmm....$60 a year to get the search and my topics back. Now I'm really thinking of not joining. I think everyone should have the right to search the content here. I was planning on joining just to show my support of the site but I'm really bothered by the idea that only members can search this site. I don't think I'll join for that reason alone. The information here is invaluable to everyone, member or not. Flame away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#38]
[flame]  OK, the lowest paying membership is $20/year or $1.67/month.  I'd say that even if the services weren't tied to it, this would be a minimum contribution to help fund a great site so GB doesn't have to pull it down due to no funds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for ricky martin (rickyj) up top, if you decide to leave please skip the "good-bye" thread.  It will only make you look like more of an ass.  It's funny how when everything is free nobody offers up donations to help pay for all the hardware in the back office, but when shit starts to cost $$ there is always a BITCH around to let you know how "unfair" it is, or some similar comment that doesn't make them look like the bad guy.  [b]I[/b] felt so bad about taking the site for granted that I shut up and paid the extra $40 to get up to the Platinum level, not because I thought it was cool {OK, so I do like platinum better than gold, but anyway...}, but because I now knew that this place was costing some serious cash to keep up and running.  I don't think the service line is the $$$ hog.  I may be wrong but the T1 or whatever is likely a fixed cost like $500-$1000/month independant of usage.  At least that's how they market them here.  It's things like the spell check program on topic replies that cost [b]per usage[/b].  So if you need to know the balance sheet details ask GB, he might share with you.  Rather than make yourself out like an asshole, which you may not be.

I am now considering offering two other people who are "members" a bronze membership.  I have asked for the staff input so there will be two more guys who get their search feature back for being good guys and worthwhile to the site but for one reason or another can't pony up.  Maybe you haven't noticed but there seems to be a lot of genorosity flying around because it does two things -- helps another member out and because it defers cost.

buh-bye.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#39]
If you become a member do you still see all the banner ad's and other advertising?

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Let’s put this into perspective.  Is there anyone who can’t afford 6 cents a day?

Bronze    6 cents a day
Gold 17 cents a day
Plat     28 cents a day

The bronze level should always be the minimum level for the search and my topics features.  IMHO they shouldn’t go back to a non-paying membership level.

I don’t do Paypal so I need to get my lazy ass to the P.O. for a M.O. which I've been putting off for months.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hmmm....$60 a year to get the search and my topics back. Now I'm really thinking of not joining. I think everyone should have the right to search the content here. I was planning on joining just to show my support of the site but I'm really bothered by the idea that only members can search this site. I don't think I'll join for that reason alone. The information here is invaluable to everyone, member or not. Flame away.
View Quote

It's $20 not $60 for the search and my topics features.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#43]
If anyone was uncertain what the definition of "whiney bitch" was before this thread, they definately know what it means now!

The Search function has become part of a nonexistant class struggle. [rolleyes]  How godamn pathetic!  Ante up if you enjoy the feature, you obviously enjoy the site.  That's about all I'll say since I wasn't given the opportunity to pay, since I decided to humiliate myself on the forum first!

WHINE ON WHINER!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#44]
One more thing on a serious note.  Check this link: [url]www.hondaprelude.com[/url]

That is what happens when owners don't take measures to ensure the financial health of a site.  

The Avillas are very smart business men and that is exactly what is needed to ensure the future of the site.  When my membership runs out, I will pay to extend it, not because I'm losing out on features, but because I want the "GOOOOOOLD MEMBER" status symbol next to my name. [rolleyes]  

And yes, my name is Balzac72 and I'm a little yuppie brown nosing self congratulating bitch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Call me a "Whiney Bitch" but if I used the equipment exchange forums to sell products I would definitely want a search feature to be made available to everyone. Think of all the potential customers you are going to lose because they can't search for your product.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Call me a "Whiney Bitch" but if I used the equipment exchange forums to sell products I would definitely want a search feature to be made available to everyone. Think of all the potential customers you are going to lose because they can't search for your product.
View Quote

Jason:

An active seller makes his product re-appear when it has gone past the 72 hour/4 day lapse over.

A good seller is an active seller.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top