Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 12:23:52 PM EDT
Just bought a few tools from Brownells, including a brass hammer and a set of brass punches.  Both had stickers on them warning that they contained substances found by the state of California to cause cancer.  When was the last time you heard of a hammer causing cancer?  When was the last time there was an act of common sense in the state of California?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Idiotic, isn't it?

I see those stickers quite often, on finishes, solvents, etc.

Don't worry, those products only cause cancer in California, not Colorado. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The way they see it, if you file down the brass hammers and punches, then inhale or ingest the brass powder, after a dozen or so hammer/punch sets, you are bound to have cancer of some sort.  What they don't tell you is that this is Darwinism in action.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if it is still like this, but the last time I was in CA, I went to a grocery store.  The front windows of this store were literally COVERED with the little warning signs, one sign for EACH INDIVIDUAL thing in that store that was deemed harmful.  You literally couldn't see in half of the windows.  Real silly, real stupid.  I was raised in Cupertino, CA, and always say that CA is a great place to be *FROM*.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just bought a few tools from Brownells, including a brass hammer and a set of brass punches.  Both had stickers on them warning that they contained substances found by the state of California to cause cancer.  When was the last time you heard of a hammer causing cancer?  When was the last time there was an act of common sense in the state of California?
View Quote

Someone at Brownell's must have gone nuts, or they're pulling your leg.  The store in Cupertino with the windows covered in stickers must have suffered a similar psychotic break or they're lampooning the law.

The stickers aren't required for every item with known carcinogens anyway, just for the entire store.  It's a great example of a well-intentioned idea (warning people about dangerous chemicals) taken so far that it's USELESS because the stickers are in pretty much every store including grocery stores.  Newspapers have to print them periodically because the classified ads might be selling items known to cause cancer!

BTW brass objects sold in Cali don't all have warning stickers on them.  I can't recall seeing one that did.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It's just more lawyer-proofing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I smoked a whole 8 oz brass hammer and haven't caught cancer yet.
View Quote

You didn't get it hot enough.  Next time use a crack pipe lighter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Well time to start smoking brass hammers, smoking skittles wasnt getting me anywhere
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
i guess that means you better STOP buying things from brownells.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Honestly I can vouch for what Marvl is saying. here in CA that proposition 65 (I think that is the number) makes you put warnings on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that may have a microscopic trace of a carcinogen.

The problem is that it opens up a new door for lawyers to go after a product and its corporations.

Lets say you make "Widgets" and they are made out of harmless bird feathers and flowers. All OK right?

WRONG!

The problem is that you used a cleaner that has a carcinogen and you havent washed it off 100%. They test it and they find a trace of it in there.... SMACK! You are now fined!

John and Ken did a show about this a few weeks back. Sad isnt it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
You people in Kalifornistan have it pretty rough. What year was it that they repealed the Bill of Rights over there?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Great CA can go after Microsoft and all the other Software companies as well as the RAA and commercial music & video producers.

Microwaved CD's produce a flash that can cause momentary blindness and vision degredation. - The flash is caused by a large build up of static electricity - so there is a momentary danger of shock, and finally there is the vapors from the scortched PolyCarbonate (Lexan) which are also toxic if inhaled...

(BTW - Don't try this at home folks, go to your local 7-11, seriously, just kidding.)
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hope mattja isn't around. [peep]
View Quote

Don't make me open a can of whup-ass on you. [@:D]

I ordered two different kinds of brass hammers from Brownell's a few months ago and they both had the sticker.

I also ordered a large pump bottle of CLP and the thing had like 30 stickers on it.

I think they pay high school kids to attach the stickers and sometimes things get out of hand.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
also ordered a large pump bottle of CLP and the thing had like 30 stickers on it.

I think they pay high school kids to attach the stickers and sometimes things get out of hand.
View Quote

I like that theory.  If you buy a bottle of CLP at WalMart in Californistan it won't have any stickers on it except the price tag.

BTW what are you guys doing buying a brass hammer from Brownell's anyway?  The cheapass ones from Harbor Freight work just fine, and if you have any ambition at all you can make your own for next to nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top