Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 5:18:13 AM EDT
In Win 98, all I had to do was go to Control Panel, System and I could see what % of free resources I had.  Most of the time I'd keep it at over 85%-90%.

Well, I can't seem to figure out where to go in Win XP Pro to find this out.  Any of you Computer experts out there know this?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Right-Click on Taskbar ->Task Manager -> Performance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
XM - is there any way to get the old style % of available resources?  I guess what I am asking is, How do I tell if I am at 85%+ on my available resources?  All I'm getting with the Performance is what my current used percentage is (like 1%, 2%, etc.) - is this the same thing, just in a different package?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Grey, hit CTRL ALT DEL, and choose task manager when the window comes up.  Check the tabs in there.  You should be able to see some of the resource usage there.  

M@
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Understand that W98 and XP are two completely different animals.

System Resources refers to two 64K blocks of memory that Windows allocates to programs for tracking purposes. These blocks are called User Resources and GDI Resources respectively and Windows 95/98/Me reports whichever has the least available free space as the value for "Free System Resources".

Win XP is based on the NT Kernel, which does not have the 64 KB System Resource limitation architecture.

No limitation = No System Resources issue.

XP allows the user to monitor performance aspects in a much more detailed manner by using the MMC. (Microsoft Management Console).

To bring up the MMC, type "MMC" in the Start/Run box. This will open a blank MMC. Then select Add/Remove Snap In from the Console menu, and select the items you wish to use.

The performance snap-in will give the user very detailed information and logs on all aspects of system performance. Task Manager will provide a realtime "snapshot".

{edited because I can't spell}
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, XM - I suppose I got so used to the way things were done with Win 98 and ME that I figured it would be the same for XP.

So, if I see that I am only using a few % at idle (esp. after I took out a lot of the Startup background programs) then I am doing pretty good, eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top