Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 5:55:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a bricklayer and a stone mason.  What type of mason are you?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a bricklayer and a stone mason.  What type of mason are you?  I served a three year apprenticeship to earn the right to call myself a mason.  Your club steals our craft's name and gives it out to someone in one day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
HPMA001  We're not talking about real harm to the craft, are we?   On how many jobs have you been replaced by Freemasons from the local lodge in the last year?

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Ummmmm, what's a Mason? (seriously, I don't know, and I don't mean stone mason either for those smart asses out there[:)])
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought you had to be invited by a mason to become a mason, or can anybody go out and join?

HPMA001, it took you three years to learn how to stack bricks with a little mortar in between? Can we say [b]slow[/b]? I built this brick wall around my backyard all by myself on my first try.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:FJLR3rQ575cC:www.npac.syr.edu/homepages/gcheng/great-wall.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought you had to be invited by a mason to become a mason, or can anybody go out and join?
View Quote

That is a common misconception.  Actually the opposite is true.  In order to become a Freemason, you have to express an interest in joining.  No direct recruitment of members is allowed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a common misconception.  Actually the opposite is true.  In order to become a Freemason, you have to express an interest in joining.  No direct recruitment of members is allowed.
View Quote

Really...I swear I read that somewhere, just the other day. Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]
[url=http://members.aye.net/~mainman/groucho/marxjoinclub.wav]I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it![/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Really...I swear I read that somewhere, just the other day. Thanks for clearing that up.
View Quote

Yes, really.  In fact, many Masons wear pins (or have stickers on their cars) which read [b]2B1ASK1[/b] (to be one, ask one).

If you ever decide to petition a Lodge (apply for membership), you won't regret it.

Take care,

Jeff

Master Mason, A.F. & A.M.
32° Scottish Rite Mason, S.J.
NUR Shriner
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#14]
What exactly do masons do? Is it just a club where guys sit around and bullshit, or is there really secret stuff that you can't tell people, or what?

I've looked at stuff on the net, but I don't know what is bullshit and what isn't. Most of the stuff out there is from the tinfoil hat people talking about masons taking over the world and controlling the money and the jews and bla, bla, bla.

So what's up, what is the purpose of joining? I'm being serious here....
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Again I ask, What the hell is a Mason???????
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#17]
So, does it cost money to be a mason? I read that they masons spent $1.4M a day in the US, where does that money come from? What about the references needed to join, one mason and three other people? What if you don't know any masons?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh, and the place yall have there in NY is amazing.

[img]http://www.nymasons.org/images/grandlodgeroom.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I joined Masons back in April at our first ever 1 Day Class. I also joined Scottish Rite the same day. I later joined The El Kadir Grotto.
I beleive that joining this fine organization is one of the best things I've done in my life.
There is great comradery amongst your fellow Brothers. They will help you out whenever they can if a problem should arise in your life and they help out the community with monetary donations and with manpower every year.
When you join a Lodge you then can attend a meeting in any Lodge around the world.
I'm the 5th generation to become a Mason since my Great Great Grandparents came to America from Scotland back in the 1880's.
If you are a man of upstanding character and have moral fiber I would strongly recomend you join. You'll be happy you did.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd rather be a Stonecutter...  

Remove the Stone of Shame.. Attach the Stone of Triumph!

[img]http://store3.yimg.com/I/getcollecting_1717_2489155[/img]

Gotta love those spiffy uniforms and the great drinking song...

Who controls the British Crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do.
Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

In all seriousness, those fraternal organizations actually do a lot of good.  Like HiramRanger said, they could seriously use an image makeover.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]HiramRanger[/b], you really should get that cough looked at. But seriously, best of luck with your 'membership drive'.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#22]
HiramRanger

I appologize to you, all masons, and all ar15.com members.  My above post was wrong and uncalled for.  Good luck with your membership drive.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#23]
[url]http://www.fish4masons.org[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
HiramRanger

I appologize to you, all masons, and all ar15.com members.  My above post was wrong and uncalled for.  Good luck with your membership drive.

Dave
View Quote

No biggie, forget it. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#25]
My old man is in the F.O.E. Fraternal Order of Eagles. Any eagle's clubs up north?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#28]
HiramRanger...Sounds like a good opportunity for someone in the NY area to join the fraternaty.  I wish y'all good luck on this indever.

And for those with questions about Free Masonry; try this web site [url]http://www.masonicinfo.com/primer.htm[/url]
it should ansewer any questions.

alpo
Master Mason, F&AM
Past Master
32° Scottish Rite Mason, S.J.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top