Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2014 4:20:54 PM EDT
Big storms coming out the Midwest tonight. Should be hitting Alabama now and passing through the rest of the south late tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Everyone remember, don't wait for the sirens, by then it can be too late. One of my best friends a few years ago had his home thrown 500m into a lake lass than a minute after the sirens went off and he, his wife and their baby ran across the street to cover in the neighbors basement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Scary stuff. I remember as a kid, tornados were one of my biggest fears.

Just make sure you have a belt with you and find something anchored pretty deep into the ground.

Stay safe man.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
We had some bad ones earlier today. Watch your top knot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a few, never personally been hit though. I remember right before Bin Laden got smoked, standing in front of my then girlfriends, now wife, apartment and seeing a funnel jump mountains without touching down. I think it was that system that took my friends house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen one in person as a young child.... they are mesmerizing and powerfully destructive.... like attractive redheads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You should see it from my point of observation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems to be winding down for the night in north AL.  There was a tornado on the ground near Athens but I haven't heard anything about damage.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've seen one in person as a young child.... they are mesmerizing and powerfully destructive.... like attractive redheads.
View Quote

Yes to both ... BTDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Big storms coming out the Midwest tonight. Should be hitting Alabama now and passing through the rest of the south late tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Everyone remember, don't wait for the sirens, by then it can be too late. One of my best friends a few years ago had his home thrown 500m into a lake lass than a minute after the sirens went off and he, his wife and their baby ran across the street to cover in the neighbors basement.
View Quote

Alabama.........and Midwest?

Wat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Pics of friend's wife?

Just because you would
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Prayers out to all in the path of the storms.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Nashville was spared but my parents are in the crosshairs soon.  Not pleased.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was 14is, me and my cousin were out in a boat on the river, exploring an island when a storm very quickly rolled up on us.

There we were, right in the fucking middle of the river and the goddamn motor wouldnt start. We started paddling back, but not really fast because the storm wasn't on us yet. Then we saw a funnel about a mile away from us.

I don't think we've ever paddled so fucking fast at that point.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just make sure you have a belt with you and find something anchored pretty deep into the ground.

Stay safe man.
View Quote

Basements, how do they work?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
We took our shit down to the basement earlier tonight; I'm staying up til the watch is over at 0100. There's something about Cherokee county that is a magnet for those fucking things.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nashville was spared but my parents are in the crosshairs soon.  Not pleased.
View Quote

We're not entirely out of the path of this crap just yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay safe man.

I Strongly suggest not belting yourself to an anchored post outside in the event of a tornado.

Corny movies, how do they work?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wat.

Storm is moving southeast?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I Strongly suggest not belting yourself to an anchored post outside in the event of a tornado.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay safe man.

So true, only thing better would be if they had let go, been lifted in the air and yelled, "look at me, I'm Peter Pan!!!!!"
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup, nature of the beast I still have family back in Oklahoma, researching this option right now

http://www.smartsheltersinc.com/tornado-storm-shelter-specifications/

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Prepare your anus. MS got raped today.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.

The midwest storms are moving east/northeast.  The MS/AL storms aren't really from us.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was in the 4/27/11 tornado in Tuscaloosa. We were numb to the sirens at that point. Went off every week for two months every time it rained.

They definitely won't be ignoring it this time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

not well, house collapse on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay safe man.

I'll take my chances over hiding in a bathtub or closet. My walls are around 12-14" thick and poured concrete and the basement walls are over 3 feet thick, 2 exits, one is poured cement and leads directly to the outside. I'll be right by that exit. [2 doors, one at basement level, one at ground level.]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Good thing we're all basement dwellers
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good thing we're all basement dwellers
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I was in the 4/27/11 tornado in Tuscaloosa. We were numb to the sirens at that point. Went off every week for two months every time it rained.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My cousin was in a house that collapsed during that, she wasn't hurt

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Tornadoes are really the only thing that really scares me.

Hurricanes? Nope.

Earthquakes? Can be fun.

Tornadoes?  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#32]
me and my girlfriend both live in apartments on 2nd floor.

probably not going to sleep much tonight but i have finals to study for anyways

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hurricanes? Nope.

Earthquakes? Can be fun.

Tornadoes?  Fuck that.
View Quote

Except for the tornadoes that result from hurricanes.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#34]
2 dead in Athens AL confirmed.

We will have an active night it looks like until about 10 PM.

One of my coworkers has trees on the house and car. The roads are close to get to her and the arsenal where we work is closed so will try to get to her tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I lived through a tornado as a kid. Definitely a scary ordeal. Although, for me, if anything else, it just made me more curious about them. That on top of the fact that I'm an adrenaline junkie doesn't help matters much.

We're getting a pretty good storm here where I live right now too. They are saying that our chances for tornadoes are pretty low, but there's a tornado watch in effect for far eastern KY, and they said that an isolated severe storm with the ability to produce a tornado couldn't be ruled out either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hurricanes? Nope.

Earthquakes? Can be fun.

Tornadoes?  Fuck that.
View Quote

Amen. I'm a hard ass unscared fucker. I got in a lot of trouble in Iraq for kicking an IED pressure plate to try to dislodge it because it was steak and lobster jight and I didn't want to wait for EOD.

I lived through Loma Prieta and Northridge quakes before we moved to GA. I've seen natures and mans fury and nothing scares me but tornados
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay safe man.

Most the homes in North AL do not have basements. We are at sea level here and the rock bed is too close to the surface. You have to blast to build them.

We build on slabs or on crawl spaces. People who have basements have to water proof them because of the water tables.

That is one of the reasons there are so many deaths here from tornadoes.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Most the homes in North AL do not have basements. We are at sea level here and the rock bed is too close to the surface. You have to blast to build them.

We build on slabs or on crawl spaces. People who have basements have to water proof them because of the water tables.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay safe man.

Y'all better learn to lie down in the borrow pit....pretty damn quickly tonight.

Stay safe!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Hometown had a near miss when I was a kid. I still get nervous about them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been through 4 of them..............one really close to my house. They aren't anything to take lightly.

Quoted:
I've seen a few, never personally been hit though. I remember right before Bin Laden got smoked, standing in front of my then girlfriends, now wife, apartment and seeing a funnel jump mountains without touching down. I think it was that system that took my friends house.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
really pisses me off if the ole lady wakes me to go down to the basement if the alarms go off , leave me the fuck alone I was sound asleep
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except for the tornadoes that result from hurricanes.

Stay safe.
View Quote

Well fuck...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Seems to be winding down for the night in north AL.  There was a tornado on the ground near Athens but I haven't heard anything about damage.

View Quote
At least 2 dead in Limestone county. May be as many as 7.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'll take my chances over hiding in a bathtub or closet. My walls are around 12-14" thick and poured concrete and the basement walls are over 3 feet thick, 2 exits, one is poured cement and leads directly to the outside. I'll be right by that exit. [2 doors, one at basement level, one at ground level.]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay safe man.

A basement in my area would be nothing more than a pool with a house on top of it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've seen one in person as a young child.... they are mesmerizing and powerfully destructive.... like attractive redheads.http://goo.gl/QIS2AB
View Quote

Yes to both ...

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#48]
We had a tiny EF1 a few years ago. I was outside video taping as the golfball size hail started I got scared and went inside. It touched down about 1 1/2 miles and took out a barn and a couple tailers. It is scary as hell, but for me an earthquake is just as scary.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Tornado down in Trenton GA.  

104 mph straight line winds headed towards Signal Mountain next to Chattanooga.

Another tornado forming over Rossville and headed towards East Ridge ....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top