Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2014 3:38:34 PM EDT
My accountant has given me an estimate of what I need/should donate for tax liability this quarter.  I was thinking that as part of it I should donate a few ARs to the local troop.  My wife says that they probably wouldn't or couldn't accept them and said that a cash donation would be better or some bolt action 22 rifles.

I would much prefer young men in this country be exposed to ARs than other rifles.   As we live in an urban area I am sure that the boy scouts will be the first or only exposure many of these will have to firearms.

Any troop leaders know if they would want or accept a few ARs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is going to be the person that keeps possession of said ARs? The methed out troop leader or the 12 year olds all hoped up on sugar and candy.

IMO this sounds like a perfect scenario for; no good deeds goes unpunished, pepper your angus..etc.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice sentiment, but I don't see that happening.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who is going to be the person that keeps possession of said ARs? The methed out troop leader or the 12 year olds all hoped up on sugar and candy.

IMO this sounds like a perfect scenario for; no good deeds goes unpunished, pepper your angus..etc.

YMMV
View Quote

I have no idea.  Who keeps their guns now?  Interesting question.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure they do any centerfire shooting.  Maybe only shotguns and rimfire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Middle of the road target air rifles
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
An Explorer post might take them. Here the BSA side is limited to single-shot bolt action .22LR rifles and 12 or 20ga shotguns. Explorers have no such limits.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Very unlikely to be accepted.

Most troops do not have an arms locker or any "troop weapons" They are usually only found at their summer camps.

There they are pretty well restricted to bolt action 22lr weapons.

I like the way you think but I don't see it happening.

Instead buy them some high end precision 22lr and get the boys interested in the sport that way.

From those seeds the love of the AR15 will grow.

GeorgiaBII
Eagle Scout
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
An Explorer post might take them. Here the BSA side is limited to single-shot bolt action .22LR rifles and 12 or 20ga shotguns. Explorers have no such limits.
View Quote

I am not training them to shoot my dog!  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am not sure they do any centerfire shooting.  Maybe only shotguns and rimfire.
View Quote

It isn't part of any badge, but I made it part of the rifle training.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
try these guys http://www.scouting.org/philmont.aspx

The owner of Phillips 66 gas station donated the land to the boy scouts a very long time ago. About 30 years ago, we learned how to reload 30-06 and shoot black powder. I bet they can lock them up and keep them safe.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Since they primarily shoot .22's, give them ammo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Do they have to be painted like a rainbow?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]

OP, please look at this link. It will find the answer to your dilemma.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

ARs would be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Explorer or Venture Crew

Venture Crews can shoot handguns too.

Venture Shooting
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#16]
If the scouts doesn't work.   Might be a possibility to get with a local range and sponsor a youth shooting league in your area, or if there is already one set up, donating ammo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most troops do not have an arms locker or any "troop weapons" They are usually only found at their summer camps.

Instead buy them some high end precision 22lr and get the boys interested in the sport that way.

GeorgiaBII
Eagle Scout
View Quote

We shouldn't have Eagles here without Team Memberships.  Log out and back in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]
"He is in elite group called Eaglescouts."
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GeorgiaBII
Eagle Scout

I love this place
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

If you personally know someone that is a troop leader and can be trusted, I think it's a good idea. But if you plan on giving ARs to some random dude who happens to be a boy scout troop leader..you're a brave man to have that much faith in humanity.

Worst case scenario is the troop leader sells them 2hrs after you give them to the troop.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. No centerfire, semi-auto, or handguns getting passed around at legitimate scouting events.

Put in a back order for some club grade rimfire ammo, and have it drop shipped to the district HQ in care of one of the local summer camps. You could be responsible for a couple years worth of rifle merit badges which is an honorable thing.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
My son just qualified for his Cub Scout shooting , they had to use very very worn out crossman BB guns  (as in fit only for the trash).

I think a donation of new BB guns would be very greatly received and used far more than center  fire or even rimfire  rifles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GeorgiaBII
Eagle Scout

I love this place

I don't know what to say ....

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
If the big issue people are raising is storage maybe you can organize that also.

The thought and desire are great.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
They can only shoot 22LR at a BSA summer camp. Troops cannot have their own weapons and they can't do centerfire. So you're out on that idea on both counts.

You may be able to donate them to their chartering organization, typically a church, for them to auction off or otherwise sell with proceeds to go to the troop.

Edit: Philmont does some centerfire, but they are highly unlikely to take your ARs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#30]
While it is a great sentiment, I can see all sorts of problems with the actual implementation:

1.  Who maintains custody of the firearms?
2.  Where are the firearms and ammo stored?
3.  Will the troop's insurance carrier allow firearms to be used without charging some horrible insurance rates?
4.  How would the firearms be transported to the range, and where would they be used?
5.  What is your civil liability if one of the firearms blows up, or if they are misused?
6.  Would some anti-gun parents pull their kids out of the group as a result of the firearms?

Maybe donating the firearms to a local gun club that is a DCM affiliated club would serve the same purpose.  You could always have a proviso go with the donation that it is being specifically made in order to allow the Boy Scouts, 4H and similar organizations access to firearms for youth training programs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#31]
The single shot rifles are kept at the summer camp area. All districts has a summer camp area. When I was a Scoutmaster we went to Kia Kima in the Ozarks. There they can take marksmanship with a single shot 22 rimfire. That was almost 25 years ago so things might have changed. Check with your local BSA Council for the answer to your questions.

As an alternative, you can pick a troop in an area that is not middle class. Buy uniforms or camping gear. Many places that have a scout troop just allow them a meeting place. They don't sponsor them with money for summer camp or any the things they need.

Great idea on your part OP.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Find a local summer camp with a range and either donate ammo or 22 bolt guns
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all of the good info guys.  Looks like my plan is not going to work out.  I will still do something for the scouts and their shooting program, but I would still like to spread BRD to the children.  

I will look into the explorers and my local gun club.  Any other ideas are welcome.   The liberals are right about using children to format future minds.   I want to challenge their indoctrination,  with our brand of indoctrination of self reliance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the good info guys.  Looks like my plan is not going to work out.  I will still do something for the scouts and their shooting program, but I would still like to spread BRD to the children.  

I will look into the explorers and my local gun club.  Any other ideas are welcome.   The liberals are right about using children to format future minds.   I want to challenge their indoctrination,  with our brand of indoctrination of self reliance.
View Quote

If I may suggest?

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/25267593/photos-boy-scouts-make-plea-for-stolen-trailer#axzz2z6uJdTUX

You could do a great deal of good here if you were inclined. Isn't local to you but...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#36]
donate the guns to the Camp in your area where the best Rifle Range is.

the camp will keep possession.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like AeroE's idea of sponsoring an Appleseed shoot for them, and supplying rifles / ammo. I'm not sure about the logistics of how all that works, but it's a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like AeroE's idea of sponsoring an Appleseed shoot for them, and supplying rifles / ammo. I'm not sure about the logistics of how all that works, but it's a great idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good idea,  but I have to make sure they are a 501 (c)(3).
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to be a Boy Scout and would be happy to take donations of ARs and ammo.

I'd also be happy to provide you with a receipt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

Troops don't generally own firearms.

If you were to donate guns to them they would likely be sold as a fundraiser.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Project Appleseed is an activity of The Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, dedicated to teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
While I fully support the idea, the anti-gun media will have a field day with that.
View Quote

I live in the gunshine state,  I doubt that would be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#44]
The boy scouts have their head up their ass when it comes to these things. Its basically an institutional fudd/target attitude.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

in Oklahoma at Camp Tom Hale they have high powered rifles as well as the bolt .22 and shotguns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sponsor three or four Appleseed matches for kids this year.  Supply firearms and ammunition.

View Quote

This...  Although when BSA comes to Appleseed it is an unofficial non-BSA event.  They can't shoot centerfires or E-type silhouettes.

RWVA is a non-profit 501C3 and may be able to accept such a donation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#47]
No they will not accept them. if you go to the council of the local troops, they might accept .22 rimfires and 20 gauge shotguns, if they have any stock of rifles.
You might try finding one of the summer camps to donate to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#48]
May be you can help Florida sport shooting association junior program

Good luck

http://www.flssa.org/hp/results/perry-cmp-2012-f.html

http://www.flssa.org/pdf/bod/articles.pdf
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

GeorgiaBII

Eagle Scout
View Quote

Both the American Legion and VFW have youth shooting sports programs in their annual community and youth outreach goals. If you donated the rifles to one of your local posts, for the expressed intent that they are for BSA/youth activities, and made sure to include the scoutmaster in those discussions.

I managed to do something similar, when I got the legion post in town (I was the vice cmdr), the local gun club (where I was on the exec. board) and the 4H group (where I had two kids participating), to cooperatively conduct just the sort of thing you are looking for ;-)

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe gift certificates to a appleseed or something of the nature?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top