Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2014 5:09:44 PM EDT
I noticed it on my drive home.
Pulled into the nearest serve station to check my fluids, and added about 1/2 liter of water as the reservoir was empty.  Then I drive about a mile, but it was still close to pegged.

Pulled over again and carefully loosened the radiator cap.  Blew of steam and the coolant reservoir refilled.  Drove of again and temperature gauge returned to normal.

I did check the oil and it does seem a little high - and brown-ish  :-(

Maybe just some gunky coolant lines?  Anything that could cause this?

UPDATE:

Apparently, it was the water pump.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Pulled into the nearest serve station to check my fluids, and added about 1/2 liter of water as the reservoir was empty.  Then I drive about a mile, but it was still close to pegged.

Pulled over again and carefully loosened the radiator cap.  Blew of steam and the coolant reservoir refilled.  Drove of again and temperature gauge returned to normal.

View Quote

wat?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a Jeep? If it is you're fucked.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Honda Civic - 1992
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Stuck thermostat?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
stuck thermostat maybe.

I really don't have a clue.  I just know to check the radiator cap and thermostat first.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
A stuck thermostat, or possibly air in your coolant system. That's all I got.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Water pump may have gone out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stuck thermostat?
View Quote

I have never dealt with a thermostat before.

BTW - I don't tinker with cars much

according to youtube, I need a 3/8 ratchet, 6 inch extension, 3 in extension w/ swivel. and a a 10mm socket.  Hell, I got that stuff.  Oh yeah, I may need a thermostat as well
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stuck thermostat?
View Quote

That's my guess. Symptoms are right.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a slow leak may have caused an air gap somewhere in your system.  No fluid could flow so overheat?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

For future reference, you generally do not want to open the radiator cap on a hot engine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If the engine has an aluminum head you may have a big problem. Check the hose connections and the coolant pump weep hole for signs of leakage as the coolant went somewhere. Is you exhaust spewing white steam?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]

I'd say stuck T stat to be sure. God knows I've been knocking holes through GM Thermostats on the shoulder of the highway forever.

But, Honda got smart. I'm not sure when they did it but Honda T-stats break open. That means they don't constantly overheat unless they are stuck in traffic and they run cool while moving down the highway.

As someone else here pointed out, there's a good chance it's a head gasket.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Check the location of the thermostat.  It should be an easy replacement.  A few bucks for the thermostat and gasket if it uses one.  See if any gasket sealer is used.

Google You Tube videos.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For future reference, you generally do not want to open the radiator cap on a hot engine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was careful as could be, just cracked with using a towel as a glove
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My guess would be blown gasket. What year, make, model of vehicle? 1992 Honda Civic

I would bet you have a blown gasket somewhere, or a leak, or a cracked radiator...

My bet would lean toward blown head gasket.

The car likely has a few other small symptoms you're not listing.

Put the heater on high...  When engine is running hotter, does it blow hot air through your heater all the time (including sitting idle), or only when pushing gas pedal? Heater appeared to operate normally - I looked there for symptoms

Does the engine seem to stutter a bit when you start it up, and run smoother after pressing the gas pedal a bit? No  Never

Is there any discoloration or brown color to your radiator coolant, or is it bright greenish color? Green

Is there brown oily looking gunk in radiator / reservoir, or stuck to the sides of the reservoir? Nope

Do any of your coolant hoses coming off the engine look bulged or puffy, or are they the same width across its whole length? Hoses look good
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like you found a video but here is another

Video
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
check your oil, if its milky colored its a big problem, radiator cap removed and full of coolant if you see a lot of bubbling coming up its big problems.  cracked head,head gasket, intake manifold gasket or if your lucky just a thermostat issue or pinhole in radiator.   if your losing water its going somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or drive it or even run it.. you need to wait for it to cool down before adding water
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

or drive it or even run it.. you need to wait for it to cool down before adding water
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

adding cold water to a hot engine can cause major issues for sure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Rough thermostat cost not knowing the specifics of your engine is $8-14.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Swap the thermostat. Super easy and inexpensive. Get more coolant as well because it needs to be drained down or you will have niagra falls from the t stat housing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always carried a full-size towel in my older vehicles for just this reason. If you cover the cap and drape it around the top, it will keep the hot fluid from spraying you. Use common sense of course.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Cooling system deserves your money.  I would do a complete R&R ... upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, and flush that system over and over until it runs clear.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude, you pull over a get your car towed if that happens.
hopefully no damage.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Check the water pump belt first, then replace thermostat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Thermostat stuck shut. By relieving the pressure in the system you probably unstuck it. You should replace the thermostat anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Had the same thing happen to my Honda Accord.
Dealership changed the thermostat and just a few miles into my nightly commute home the temp pegged again.
Took it to another shop and they said the dealer put the thermostat in backwards.
Pegged again and melted the overflow plastic tank.
Another shop did another thermostat and it failed and brown liquid came out (freeze out plug (s) let go I think).
Engine dead.

3 shops and not one got it right and it cost me a car that I just finished paying off
Not one ever checked the water pump, they never even mentioned it. I was clueless.
Spoke with another shop gave the low down and the very high mileage and they instantly said water pump.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope it is not the water pump, I have had it replaced several times, every time I get the timing belt changed
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, no.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#34]
All we really know from what you have told us is tht you have a coolant leak. Take it to a shop. They will pressure test the cooling system, and find the source of your leak. They will then quote you a price for the repairs.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#35]
And so continues the pussification of America
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#36]

----------> CHILL OUT.

You have refilled the radiator and the tank.

Closely watch the level in the tank.... if it starts going down ( 1/2 tank or more ) in one or two days you have a problem.

If it's slower than that, you may have a slow leak.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slow your roll, brother.  This guy doesn't know shit but he's trying.  We all have to start somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The oil dip stick will show a brown stain near the top end if there is coolant in the oil, too.  This will be a small or intermittent leak if the other indications are absent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

check your oil, if its milky colored its a big problem, radiator cap removed and full of coolant if you see a lot of bubbling coming up its big problems.  cracked head,head gasket, intake manifold gasket or if your lucky just a thermostat issue or pinhole in radiator.   if your losing water its going somewhere.

The oil dip stick will show a brown stain near the top end if there is coolant in the oil, too.  This will be a small or intermittent leak if the other indications are absent.

I have a blown head gasket on my 1985 toyota truck, not going to fix it, it sucks coolant, not only have the green jelly under the oil cap, some is stuck to the dipstick too.  I'd hate to see what the inside of the valve cover looks ike.

Oh another sign it's mixing coolant with oil is the dipsticks shows about 2 quarts high

I'm limiting the truck to trips no more than 2-3 miles away until I buy a new vehicle this fall, I have another vehicle so whether the '85 truck dies tomorrow doesn't really matter.  I don't put more than $10 worth of gas in it at a time

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#39]
what's the cooling fan like on your vehicle? electric or does it use a fan clutch?  Fan clutches don't last forever, if you do a lot of stop and go driving the car will overheat with a bad fan clutch, same if the electric fan doesn't work.  In continued steady driving it won't because you have enough air flow coming in from the grill
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gunky coolant lines?  Come on...you're losing coolant somewhere.  First, check your oil dipstick,,,any froth or, white on it?  Second, check your exhaust...white plume..?

Gunky coolant lines, my ass.

Though, at this point, I'd replace them, too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Head gasket (likely or not) seems like the most expensive, so that is probably what it is
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Slow your roll, brother.  This guy doesn't know shit but he's trying.  We all have to start somewhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  The you tube video will help.  Replace the thermostat to see if that fixes the overheating issue then some day maybe he will replace the hoses, or belt.

I just replaced the rotors in a Blazer for the first time (been done by shops before).  That is so easy once you get in there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Just keep driving it.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#44]
You don't put water in, you put coolant in.

Water is horrible for your cooling system.

Seriously, dude, taking off the radiator cap of a hot engine? People get scared for life doing that shit. You really need to take your car to someone that knows what they're doing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have a blown head gasket on my 1985 toyota truck, not going to fix it, it sucks coolant, not only have the green jelly under the oil cap, some is stuck to the dipstick too.  I'd hate to see what the inside of the valve cover looks ike.

Oh another sign it's mixing coolant with oil is the dipsticks shows about 2 quarts high

I'm limiting the truck to trips no more than 2-3 miles away until I buy a new vehicle this fall, I have another vehicle so whether the '85 truck dies tomorrow doesn't really matter.  I don't put more than $10 worth of gas in it at a time

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming it's not a rusted hulk (eh, who am I kidding, it's a Toyota ), rebuild that 22r and drive it for another 300k. Extremely simple, durable little power plants.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#46]

In my experience, a low coolant level, non-working radiator fans, or a tiny radiator leak will cause the temp to rise.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Head gasket (likely or not) seems like the most expensive, so that is probably what it is
View Quote

If your oil looks like a milkshake it's your head gasket.
If it's clean it's something else.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You don't put water in, you put coolant in.

Water is horrible for your cooling system.

Seriously, dude, taking off the radiator cap of a hot engine? People get scared for life doing that shit. You really need to take your car to someone that knows what they're doing.
View Quote

Coolant is diluted with water.   It's not going to hurt anything if you just dilute it a little more as long as you use distilled or even RO water.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#49]
You have coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.  Probably a blown head gasket or a warped or cracked head.   This causes your coolant levels to get low, and air gaps to form in the coolant passageways.    You can have air in there, even if it's "topped off".

You shouldn't be driving the car until you fix it.   That's how chicks ruin an otherwise fixable engine.   If you can afford to have it fixed, do it now while it's still doable.

Fwiw- if you let the temp get that hot, you may have already ruined the engine.

If you can't afford it, learn how to do it.  

Try youtube for methods on how to bleed the air out of the system.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always the case.  On my chevy, oil can get into the coolant never gets into the oil.   I don't understand how, but it's been like that for years.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top