Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 12:44:17 PM EDT
Anybody have one? Comments?

$551.65 with free shipping.

UltraSharp 1800FP 18-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor Monitor, 18.1'', LCD, Active Matrix TFT, Midnight Gray, 1280 x 1024 Pixels, 0.2805 mm Pixel Pitch, Anti-glare and Hard Coating, 15-Pin D-Sub and 24-Pin DVI-D Input Connectors. Analog/Digital connectivity.

[img]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/320-0469.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We were told that since we have kids, and the screen might get punctured, that might not be the best option for us.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We were told that since we have kids, and the screen might get punctured, that might not be the best option for us.
View Quote

Are you serious? Why would that make a difference?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i am certanly no fan of dell but i have seen 2 of these and they are SHARP! displays. Try to find out who is manufacturing them for dell.

mike
View Quote

Dude, I dunno about the 18" but the Dell 15" lcd's are made by some Korean dudes named Samsung.  

The lcd screen on my notebook is also of manufactured by these Samsung dudes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
lcd panels are very sensative to pressure and can crack/break very easily.

mike
View Quote

Is there a special tool that you dude's use to remove those two stupid plastic hinges on Dell notebooks?  

They seem to wanna break off easily when you want to get them off.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is this deal? I might want one. I have two 17" Samsungs and love them.
Also, there is a lot of cool factor built in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
texashark:

[url]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&category_id=4009[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i am certanly no fan of dell but i have seen 2 of these and they are SHARP! displays. Try to find out who is manufacturing them for dell.

mike
View Quote

ALL PC's suck. Some just suck more then others! [:D]  I've had various IBM, AST, Compaq, Dell, Sony and Hitachi laptops over the years. The Dell's have been pretty solid performers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
be warned LCDs are slower than CRTs so they may or may not work for games/movies. research it before you buy it.

Mine is a Planar 1904Z. 19" AMLCD (Active Matrix LCD) 10ms rise 15ms fall. anything slower than 25-30ms total is no good for games/movies but just fine for internet, word procs. there are a few 10rise/10falls out. not many. i got mine at 650 shipped via a dell deal. 25% off ticket. 2 day deal. its a great LCD. i have to date encountered only one game that can make it ghost(crt's will not ghost) and its old. Carmaggedon TDR 2000, its visible if both you and the opponent are driving at each other at full speed. the tail of his vehical will blur a bit behind it, but this only shows at "close range" for the game. Unreal 2003 has not been able to make it ghost yet. nothing in that game moves fast enough.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
18 " screen and .28mm Pitch is not optimum

You should be shopping for .26mm or lower.  It does make a difference when the screen size gets larger - hence the lower price on this one.

x
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless they are going to punch it with a fist or knife it you wont have a problem. they resist the normal fingerpresses without problems.

btw Windex wont do crap to clean them. the only thing i have yet to find any good at cleaning them is Expo Whiteboard Cleaner. the real negative with kids is you will never get them to stop touching it. so stay with a CRT for a easy cleaning, CRTs love windex ;).
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got one of these Dell 18" LCDs at work today.  I prefer it to my old 17" LCD.

I think alcohol is safe to clean the LCDs...

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Pops just got the 17" version. Very nice. Be sure to get a video card with the digital output DVI interface rather than (or in addition to) analog connectors. It makes a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Rkbar15
Thanks for the info. Shark
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The monitor is made by Sony. 30ms response time.  

Dell recommends using plain water or isopropyl alcohol on LCD screens.  Never use ammonia based glass cleaners on LCD screens.

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The monitor is made by Sony.

Dell recommends using plain water or isopropyl alcohol on LCD screens.  Never use ammonia based glass cleaners on LCD screens.

Thanks for all the replies.
View Quote

Mabey dell should let this filter down to their outsourced field techs. i had to tell the tech that comes by where i work to fix dell/ibm/gateway systems what to use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]
From the Dell Knowledge Base.  You need to register to get to it. [url]http://support.dell.com/us/en/search/kbadv_search.asp[/url]

The support forums have some good info in them also. [url]http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/[/url]

Cleaning

There are many cleaners sold specifically as LCD cleaners. These are perfectly acceptable for cleaning LCDs on Dell notebooks.  If you do not wish to purchase one of these products designated specifically as an LCD cleanser, the following is a list of what is and is not acceptable for cleaning your LCD.

The following cleaners are acceptable:

Water
IPA (Isoprophyl Alcohol)
Hexane
Petroleum Benzine

The following cleaners are unacceptable:

Acetone
Ethyl alcohol
Toluene
Ethyl acid
Ammonia
Methyl chloride

NOTICE:  These cleaners might cause permanent damage to the LCD due to a chemical reaction. Some commercial window cleaners contain ammonia and are generally unacceptable.  

Clean the computer's built-in LCD display with a soft, clean cloth and one of the cleaners listed above or a commercial window cleaner that does not contain ammonia, wax or abrasives. Apply the cleaner to the cloth, and then stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom. If the display contains grease or some other contaminant, use a cloth with an acceptable cleaner listed above instead of a commercial window cleaner.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top