Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 7:04:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn. Next time tell su and then DON'T change it. :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine starts with getting past a guy with a "Ring of Fire" gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]

I told my wife it was her birthday divided by her mothers address,,,too bad I can never remember her birthday.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What gun safe?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
gun safe...combo....?
I just want more pics from waldo, I do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my gun safe in 'as is' condition.  Somebody had been screwing with the lock system and I had to make parts for it.  Fortunately, those Sargent and Greenleaf lock systems are pretty easy to work on, and by the way they're made, you can index the tumblers on the shaft in such a way that the combination changes from what it was.    

Fifteen minute's worth of work, followed by a few minutes of very careful manipulation with the mechanism cover off, allowed me to get the combination and then I proved it effective and reliable by running fifty consecutive cycles of entering the combo, opening the safe, closing it, locking it, scrambling the dial, and re-entering the combo.

A hundred bucks for a decent Homak gun safe (big enough for a dozen rifles or more, plus several handguns and a big pile of ammo) with a full length locking lug is a fairly good deal, I think!

CJ
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine's easy to remember. It happens to correspond with badge numbers at work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
A comment for you and all other safe owners out there.  Just in case you were serious about that being your combo, or even if you weren't.  I'm a trained and certified full time locksmith and safe technician.  Here are a few rules of safe combos that should always be adhered to.  These rule are general and some may apply to one type of lock and not another.  They are meant to be a general all around set of rules.  Not following these rules could eventually result in your safe becoming locked closed.

1.)  Never use combo #'s in ascending/descending order.

2.)  Never repeat any number.

3.)  Don't use any number that is between 90 and 10 on the dial (10 numbers each side of 0).

4.)  Don't use numbers that are within 10 of each other.

Sticking to these rules is highly advisable for any safe even if the manufacturer doesn't advise you of this.  It wont hurt any lock out there and may save you a lockout problem.  The lockout can occur the first time you dial it or the 10,000th time.  Don't take the chance.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Karl, do any of those rules apply to digital locks? Thats what I have on my Cannon safe.
View Quote

No, only on mechanical locks.  Cannon is a good safe too.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I would like to ask, why the suggestion not to use the numbers between 90 and 10?

CJ
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A hundred bucks for a decent Homak gun safe (big enough for a dozen rifles or more, plus several handguns and a big pile of ammo) with a full length locking lug is a fairly good deal, I think!
CJ
View Quote

That's a GREAT price! I'm shopping for a Homak right now. Looks like >$350 not including shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top