Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 9:03:49 PM EDT
I'm getting conflicting information.

Hearing advocates says it will only kill 200 or 300 people.

Others are saying the vaccine will kill 1 of every 100 who get it, and cripple 3 of every 100.

Lot's of people are claiming to have had the vaccine, then I hear on the news today that no doctor alive has ever seen a small pox case, and only the elderly had the vaccine as kids.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree AR15fan.

What are the unbiased FACTS? (No tin foil need apply...)
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm getting conflicting information.

Hearing advocates says it will only kill 200 or 300 people.

Others are saying the vaccine will kill 1 of every 100 who get it, and cripple 3 of every 100.

Lot's of people are claiming to have had the vaccine, then I hear on the news today that no doctor alive has ever seen a small pox case, and only the elderly had the vaccine as kids.
View Quote
MOST of what you said is bullshit.

NOWHERE does ANY medical study state a 1/100 mortality rate for smallpox vaccinations. More like 1/1,000,000 mortality rate.

And the last vaccinations in the US were given in 1974. I had one. I'm FAR from elderly.

There's a LOT of good consistent info out there.
Just do a Google search and stick with fairly reputable sources (CDC, AMA or major research Universities etc.)

Here's one:
[url=http://www1.umn.edu/cidrap/content/bt/smallpox/news/poxshots.html]Mass smallpox vaccination in US could cause 285 deaths[/url]

A smallpox vaccination campaign aimed at everyone under age 66 in the United States would lead to 285 deaths and 4,600 serious adverse events, even if known high-risk people were excluded, according to an estimate published by physicians at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
The authors assume that the mortality rate for adults (20 or older) receiving the vaccine would be 1 case per million, which was the overall mortality rate found in a landmark 1968 study of serious reactions to smallpox vaccination. The likely incidence of fever and rash were estimated from other studies, but too few data were available to estimate the incidence of blindness due to accidental inoculation or of fetal vaccinia.

A vaccination campaign aimed at everyone from age 1 through 29 (everyone born after routine vaccination ended in 1972) would reach an estimated 82.5 million, leading to 190 deaths and another 1,600 serious adverse events, the article says. A campaign intended for everyone from age 1 through 65 would reach about 178.5 million, resulting in the estimated 285 deaths and another 4,600 serious adverse events.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the smallpox vaccine. Im 35...FAR from elderly... although my back says otherwise however, I digress.

I heard that 1 in a million will die and a few will get sick. ALL vaccinations have risks. Everytime my baby girl went in for a vaccine of some kind you cant help but BE nervous.

Most common side effect is a site rash (a red mark about the size of a quarter) is left for a few weeks. If you dont have a immune system problem or are elderly or have other health problems, I wouldnt worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I had it as did all children my age.  Now they say it is no longer effective and one must get revacinated to be immune from the common strain.

Interestingly...a smallpox bio-terror scenario called "dark winter" was presented to congress in June 2001.  As a result a $400million dollar vaccine order was placed with a British drug company.  I called my pediatrician to find out about vacinations for our child.  They literally laughed at me.  "Sir, there is no reason to get a SP vacination.  Smallpox has been eradicated from the earth since 1973 so you have nothing to worry about."  "We would not even know how to get SP vaccine"  They referred me to the health department who told me to call the bio-terrorism hotline.  I pressed her she told me that there is NO VACCINE.  Needless to say that the "Dark Winter" scenario showed the country would be completely shut down in just a few days due to SP.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it is propanda by the media to prevent people from panicking over prossible bio attack and rushing out to get vaccinated. I had the vaccine in my childhood, and so has my brother and 3 sisters, and my wife. Is this the same vaccine that was available in the 50s-70s?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]

[url=http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccination/reactions-vacc-clinic.asp]CDC Report - Adverse Reactions Following Smallpox Vaccination[/url]
Runs down the various types of reactions, from mild to severe, that are expected in smallpox vaccinations and rates based on previous studies (see 1968 link).

[url=http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccine-safety/adverse-events-chart.asp]CDC Report - Smallpox Vaccine: Adverse Event Rates, 1968[/url]
Reviews the major studies done and lists the RATES of various vaccine reactions that occur.

NORMAL SMALLPOX REACTIONS:
[img]http://www.bt.cdc.gov/training/smallpoxvaccine/reactions/images/home_image.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bt.cdc.gov/training/smallpoxvaccine/reactions/default.htm]Smallpox Vaccination And Adverse Effects Training Module[/url]

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW!
I would not recommend looking at the Accidental Implantation information page
[url]http://www.bt.cdc.gov/training/smallpoxvaccine/reactions/acc_implant.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]

That's what you get when you pick your smallpox scab then pick your nose [:O]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top