Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 3:01:28 PM EDT
  Is it just me, or are many hunters against firearms that aren't PC or hunting oriented?  A hunting buddy of mine asked me "What do you need an UZI for."  It seems like more and more hunters think only hunting guns should be legal.  

-DEERSNIPER
[sniper]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Many hunters are not "gun people".  The gun is only a tool necessary for them to hunt.  In and of itself, shooting is of little interest to them.

No flame intended, just how I see it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Alot of hunters pay too much attention to nascar and wwf "wraslin" and pay too little attention to history and politics. No flame intended, just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Obviously most hunters are against us, how do you think all the "Asssult Weapon" bans, and mag restrictions have been passed?
The majority have no more clue than Dan Rather..
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My best friend is a hardcore hunter and he keeps fighting the urge to join the "dark side". He says "what would i use it for". We went to the G&K show last weekend and I could see his eyes wondering as he stopped at every booth to ask me questions about the diff. manufacturers of the AR....he'll be one of us soon [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
That's the way it's always been. There are more sportsmen without an interest in or a knowledge of military arms. Just the facts. Plus, many traditional gunsmiths (talking about the old old timers) favor wood-stocked firearms.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I try to convert the guys I hunt with. They like taking their 10-22's out after gophers and then I show them how much better my AR does.

I take my M1A out Elk hunting and they see the advantage of external over internal mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
 Well guys, I am a hunter and a member of the Dark Side as well, unfortunatly, you guys are right most hunters are not in favour of owning ARs and such, to bad to.

I have to fight the you dont need that talk from people all the time, gets tireing after awhile but I keep on fighting back.

I try to explain that if the antis get what they want with the ARs, then thier bolt actions are next, they just dont see it.

To bad all firearm owners cannot come togther to watch evryone elses back, the unity we would show would make all the anti people cower in fear.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a good friend who is an avid hunter. He feeds his family all year from what he takes each winter. He is also a "black rifle" fan, and owns a Colt and a Bushy.
I do fear however that at least 50% of the hunter population don't even know what an AR is. And they, like the rest of the sheep, are not aware of the crucial legal issues surrounding the "assault weapons ban" and the 2nd ammendment.
I was raised hunting with my Grandfather. As he got on in years he developed cataracts, so he would hold the shotgun, and I would point the muzzle toward the game as the party drove the deer over the Mountain. I would yell "Shoot!" and he would pull the trigger, usually neatly taking the limb off a nearby tree.
I still remember the smell of hot buttered rum, and venison steaks back at the lodge. (Not everyone in the party had cataracts!)
Good times. Really good times. God rest his soul.
So I carry on, in his mold. He was a lawyer, a public defender. And he was a staunch believer in the Constitution.
As I was taught, so I believe today- we need to bring the fight to the Anti's. They are fools and extremely myopic, and if allowed to succeed will be the first to wail when their rights are denied.

THE RKBA IS RIGHT THAT PROTECTS ALL OTHERS!

PS. Sorry for preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You only need to look at the NRA to see most hunters could give a fip about firearms rights out side of their hunting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
My Father is one of those types of hunters. I was back home several weeks ago (Washington) and mentioned to him about one of my BR's. "What do you need that for?" is all I heard.

Most of them are into their sport and not the actual shooting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
"What do you need one of those for"?

Reply:
"Homeland Defense"

I know many who have come to the "Dark Side". And many more are on the way. If they do not they are they are "Anti American".

Samuel
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Most hunters take a dim view of "shooters".  In my experience it's because most hunters can't shoot worth a damn.  Where I live most whitetail hunters don't even check their sights before the season, don't know squat about their firearms and are dangerous as shit in the field.  There's no surprise the only way they can bring home game is to sit in a baited blind and shoot feeding game.  That's not hunting and they can't shoot.  Only thing a rifle means to them is a way to get away from their sorry family life for a couple of weekends, drink and shoot at easy targets.  Do I expect their support?  Not for a minute.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I take my M1A out Elk hunting and they see the advantage of external over internal mags.
View Quote

What advantage? Please explain.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#14]
All the hunters I know aren't opposed to military arms in any way.

My fathers best friend is a Chiropractor and does quite well for himself.  He recently bought a couple hundred acres of Deer/Waterfowl hunting grounds.  Last Fourth of July we were invited over there for a visit, and we had a blast plinking and nailing Tannerite targets.  He even commented to me that I "Probably feel a little safer at night knowing 'that gun' is nearby".  Sure.

My theory is this:

Most hunters aren't necessairly opposed to military guns.  It is not that they don't know what they are for or know how to use them, they just don't know YOU.  Since you obviously are not going to use an uzi to hunt deer to geese, they are understandably concerned that you are going to use the uzi for plinking, and not drive-bys.

That is exactly why some folks will ask the "what do you need it for" question.  If you tell them politely that it is for plinking, fun, and historical value chances are that they will understand.  If you get all huffy about "stupid hunters and how they don't understand the Constitution" chances are very good that you will damage your image and that of the non-hunting crowd.

Most hunters know and appreciate the RKBA.  They are convinced that their shotgun or rifle is as valuable to freedoms cause as your piece.  My Dad feels this way.  He likes shooting the AR, but doesn't see the need for him to own any rifle caliber larger than .22 LR.  In fact, he used to use a Sterling Arms .22LR Auto pistol for his sock drawer gun.  I finally convinced him to get somthing bigger.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Say what you want, but the fact is that HUNTERS outnumber the BLACK RIFLES people by more than just a little, so it would behove you all  to court them, rather than mean mouth them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I am a hunter and a gun owner. To say all hunters have hate AR owners and ARs is stupid. You CAN go hunting with an AR in most states. Why are there 5 round magazines? For hunting. Most hunters are not into guns but into hunting. You can hunt with a bow too ya know. So don't assume that while they may use a gun, they fawn all over it. It's just a tool to enjoy their sport. They like being in the woods, not at the range.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Here in PA we have a very large population of hunters.
We also have a new governor...Ed Rendell...extremely antigun.

Most hunters have no clue about firearms as far as I can tell.

I never refer to a high power scoped rifle as a hunting rifle in the presence of hunters. I refer to it as a sniper rifle....they go thru the roof...fuckem...
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#19]
So how many snipes have you shot with that rifle?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I personally love seeing the looks on the PC hunter's faces when they see me and my beautiful bushie. It makes me feel all warm and tingely inside.
Most don't realize the challenge of taking a whitetail with a .223...too bad.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So how many snipes have you shot with that rifle?
View Quote

Well, I'd say at least 50% haven't hit a thing.
Last week I watched a guy shoot over a road, about 100 yds up on a hillside to the other hill, about a 500 yd shot at a doe...5 rds...reloaded..another 5 rds...reloaded..3 rds...stopped shooting...I walked down and asked him why he quit shooting, he was getting closer. He said he was out of ammo. He couldn't understand how he could miss. He said he had the crosshairs right on the chest.I didn't have the heart to tell him how far an 06 rd drops at that range.When he found out I was shooting the same caliber, he wanted to borrow some ammo because he didn't want to walk the 200yds back to his truck. I asked him why he would shoot a doe 500yds away (down a 100yd hill and up another 100yd hill) if he didn't feel like walking. I got an incoherent answer so I told him no on the ammo and walked away. Unfortunately..this kind of stuff is pretty common...they have no clue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#22]
In MA. most of my friends who hunt realize "we are all in this together". They may not own an Ar, AK or Uzi but they know they have to stand with those of us who do. Give the grabbers an AR and they'll want your 870 pump too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I personally love seeing the looks on the PC hunter's faces when they see me and my beautiful bushie. It makes me feel all warm and tingely inside.
Most don't realize the challenge of taking a whitetail with a .223...too bad.
View Quote
Challenge ??????, you could kill a deer with a 22 rimfire, but it is not enough gun to do it humanely and consistently, just stick to what your good at punching holes through paper, and leave the hunting to the hunters.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#24]
First let me say I think it's about 50/50.  My bet is there are more hunters than we think who just don't stand up, but aren't against any type of firearm.  A lot of them were taught to mind their own business, so they do.

What I think is even funnier...

When showing some "tactical" guys a Beretta O/U they just scoff and roll their eyes.  Only two shots?  Why not get an auto and load it with 9 rounds, then you can kill them twice as fast.  That wood is going to rot on you and then you won't have shit! [rolleyes]

Or show some AR fans a 1000yd BR gun and they say, "Oh my 14.5" M4 can shoot out to 1000yds no problem......and I can do it twice as fast since I'm mag feed."

Now where was that thread about pissing off bolt gunners at the range? [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top