Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 11:36:00 AM EDT
I guess that will teach me for working on copper with out gloves on. Im sitting here trying to find slivers i can't even see but man i sure can feel them when i touch any thing. Id rather be cut than get metal in me..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the inspection microscope at work, then grab them out with calipers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Might need to get a bic shaver and skim off some skin. If you know the grain/direction it went in, sometimes it will grab them out while you do it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might need to get a bic shaver and skim off some skin. If you know the grain/direction it went in, sometimes it will grab them out while you do it.
View Quote

and at the same time I can remove those pesky finger prints!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Better than metal slivers in your eye!

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Safety glasses are required.    Gloves are a no-no.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Beats glass slivers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Too bad its not ferrous metal.  You could just schedule an MRI.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup..

hard to work with .204 dia bullets with gloves..

but yellow safety glasses are a must! my eyes are about the only sense i have that not messed up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL i have one coming up in May. and it just gets a little warm..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You must have soft girly hands.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Copper will react to magnets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They grow back. I had to go hardcore at a sharp wood sliver that went almost straight in, then broke off below the skin when I tried to pull it out right away. After about 2 days, I couldn't stand it anymore and started shaving down until I could grab it. Put some superglue on it, good as new.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
yup..

but yellow safety glasses are a must! my eyes are about the only sense i have that not messed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup..

Tight nitrile could be acceptable, unless you have to feel for burrs.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait! You mean that brass magnet on a broomstick won't work for fast range cleanup?Shit I'm out $50 on that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
One time I had a tiny fleck of 416 in my eye under the lid. After two weeks of irritation went to the eye doc and he found it.
I found myself in a chair with a very bright light poined at my eye and the doc says "I'm just gonna lift it right out of there,"
Out of my good eye I can see he's got what looks like a dental pick...don't fucking move!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wait! You mean that brass magnet on a broomstick won't work for fast range cleanup?Shit I'm out $50 on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you move it REALLY damn fast, it might move the brass a little.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One time I had a tiny fleck of 416 in my eye under the lid. After two weeks of irritation went to the eye doc and he found it.
I found myself in a chair with a very bright light poined at my eye and the doc says "I'm just gonna lift it right out of there,"
Out of my good eye I can see he's got what looks like a dental pick...don't fucking move!
View Quote

Pretty common for machinists that work with cast iron.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I get small copper wire pieces in my hands and feet all the time.  I get some 18ga X 1" hypo needles from the vet supply and keep them on hand just for splinters and slivers.  Super sharp, and can dig any splinter out without any problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, the eye doc has to grind the imbedded metal particle out of your eye, with your eyelids propped open.  Yes, you have to WATCH
I've worn safety glasses religiously, ever since
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
the worst is a carbide bur on an Dremmel/Foredom tool. Pops grinds on something in my work space and doesnt blow it off. I come in next day grab my screwdrivers or move my hand on the bench and it looks like i got attacked by a mini metal porcupine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a sliver in my right eye from some dumb shit I did not notice it until I was getting fitted for contacts and they flipped out.

I got sent straight the fuck over to an eye surgeon who strapped my head into a piece that looked like something from a medevil dungeon.  Eye nummbed up and some lid clamps and I tell you what kids the sight of a 18ga butterfly needle coming directly at your eye you DO NOT move. I still get the shivers thinking of that.

It was working it's way through the lense and almost was through and it would have been vision gon in that eye.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep, the eye doc has to grind the imbedded metal particle out of your eye, with your eyelids propped open.  Yes, you have to WATCH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been there done that, pulled the sliver out, then buffed the rust ring off with a dremel tool.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Try rubbing the area with some sandpaper. Around 180 grit seems to work best for me. It works good on ferrous slivers. I've never tried it on copper. One of the old guys I worked with while I was still an apprentice taught me that trick. It really does work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Been there done that, pulled the sliver out, then buffed the rust ring off with a dremel tool.
View Quote

Yessir, that's one of those mistakes you learn from on the first go-around
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
A carbide burr can make your day real shitty too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You must have soft girly hands.
View Quote

yes yes I do I keep them supple. With applications of lanolin..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Last sliver I got was from a box of drywall screws, I did not even notice I had it, until....

I went to unplug a low-profile plug from a power strip, my thumb and forefinger slipped under the plug a little, the sliver arced to the plug and I got a nice black burn on my fingernail and where the sliver was.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had chips that bounced around the wrap around style glasses. Getting a dremel grinder taken to your cornea for an ulcerated inclusion is NOT an enjoyable experience.

Neither is having a nurse, who is holding a syringe needle, jokingly complain about her Parkinson's as she's headed for your eye to dig out a chip (metal sliver).

Similar to the bic razor thing, I use a scalpel blade to drag the splinter out "with the grain". If that doesn't work (and copper ones are bad cause they are usually jagged little toothed bastards), slice with the scalpel along the length of the splinter and lift it out.

Or, you could wait for it to be absorbed, or fester and squirt it out like a zit.

But, yeah, sometimes it's like they're laying RIGHT ON a nerve ending.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

They won't give a toolmaker an MRI
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I work around fiber glass for about 10 yrs building MRI scanners.   Duct tape is your friend.  Stick the tape over the sliver pull the tape off. No more sliver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am seriously worried that I won't be able to get an MRI because of the possibility of having metal slivers in my eye sockets. I've always worn safety glasses but I think I've gotten shit in my eyes a couple of times when cutting on computer cases and even when I changed the fuel filter on my car (was wearing them then too in anticipation of gasoline spewing out).
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I recommend getting some of these. They work great and I dug a tiny sliver out of my hand today too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah they are a pain, indestructable too

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am seriously worried that I won't be able to get an MRI because of the possibility of having metal slivers in my eye sockets. I've always worn safety glasses but I think I've gotten shit in my eyes a couple of times when cutting on computer cases and even when I changed the fuel filter on my car (was wearing them then too in anticipation of gasoline spewing out).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im a gunsmith, ive had more MRI's then some of you have had years of life.. You will be fine.. trust me..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've had chips that bounced around the wrap around style glasses. Getting a dremel grinder taken to your cornea for an ulcerated inclusion is NOT an enjoyable experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my biggest fear, getting a chip coming in around my glasses. Nothing yet, knock on wood. I've started consciously squaring up to stuff, so if something comes flying at my eye, it's got the glasses in the way. I figure if I look away, it opens up my side. That thought process was inspired by a story I read about on here, marine wearing armor who instinctively turned sideways in a gunfight and ended up paralyzed. Square up and let the protective gear do its job. Valid thought process in your opinion? I'm still pretty much a rookie in the machining field, but I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes when possible.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Nitric acid is the only thing that will dissolve copper...  I recommend dipping your hand in a 1000 ml container of fuming nitric acid.  That should get rid of the sliver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Im a gunsmith, ive had more MRI's then some of you have had years of life.. You will be fine.. trust me..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does being a gunsmith necessitate so many MRI's?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#39]
God almighty the worst mistake I ever made was being eager to grab a steel part of the mill after it finished the clean-up pass.    Steel so fine it was like hair embedded several places in my hand.   NEVER again did I repeat that mistake.   Your right, you can't see it at all but man everything you touch manages to find it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nitric acid is the only thing that will dissolve copper...  I recommend dipping your hand in a 1000 ml container of fuming nitric acid.  That should get rid of the sliver.
View Quote

Works better if your hand is coated in glycerin first.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gunsmith no.. Cancer surviver yes.. Clean for 10 years.. But as a gunsmith you get lots of metal in ya..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I recommend getting some of these. They work great and I dug a tiny sliver out of my hand today too.
View Quote

I'm old school.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
You know what's worse than a metal sliver stuck in your finger?

Jewelers saw blades.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You know what's worse than a metal sliver stuck in your finger?

Jewelers saw blades.
View Quote

I was compressing an ejector spring on a double shotgun and had the screwdriver slip and imbed into my left hand.. Right into the web between the thumb and fore finger.. Its still numb there..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Metal hurts.

Composite fiber splinters are the worst.

Especially boron. It will work it's way all the way thru your finger in few years.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess that will teach me for working on copper with out gloves on. Im sitting here trying to find slivers i can't even see but man i sure can feel them when i touch any thing. Id rather be cut than get metal in me..
View Quote

One summer I apprenticed in a machine shop and got a steel sliver in my index finger that got infected and went to Bacteremia...red line up the arm. I ended up hospitalized for a week on IV antibiotics. Be aware that these can fuck your day up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out I wasn't entirely accurate.

• Patients who have previously worked with metal (i.e. welders, machinists, metal workers) are carefully screened for previous metal injury to the eyes. Patients who have had prior injuries to the eyes involving metal, or those workers who do not wear eye protection, may require an x-ray of the eyes to eliminate the possibility of any metal fragments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top