Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:02:41 PM EDT
Using a good pressure cooker, (All American brand for example), and properly canning meat, vegetables, and fruit.....
How long will the canned items be nutritionally viable?

How do pressure canned foods taste compared to non pressure canned foods?

I recently read an article implying pressure canned foods could easily last decades, (which is different than what I'm reading on the net), and I'm considering getting a pressure cooker to set aside food for emergencies etc....

But I know next to nothing about canning and whether or not its worth my time and trouble...

If the food wont be viable longer than a few years, I need for my wife and children to be able to eat what we canned so its not wasted.....

Wife is kinda picky about food....one child is very picky about food. The other two kids and I are human garbage disposals and will eat almost anything that doesn't run to fast or fight to hard.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
My only experience with pressure canned meat is deer meat. As long as it is properly spiced, and prepared, it tastes great. Although the cooking method during canning makes the meat extremely tender. I wasn't expecting that. Shelf life should be at least 2 years, if prepared/stored properly.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine has three + years and still tastes fine.  I have canned meats, vegies. stews, soups, chili, and just about anything you can put in a jar.  it's all good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If stored in a very cool/dark environment they have a really long lifespan. I've had fruit that was canned about 7 years or so ago and it tasted good.

Cant comment on meats since I've never had that pressure cooked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Lasts years.  Books say 3 to 5.  I have eaten stuff that was over 10 and tasted fine.  Color was kind of faded / off.
Pressure canned pinto beans are great.  Just add some canned meat to a tortilla and instant burritos.
Real fast food.

I use a presto canner and love it. 75 bucks will get you started.   American is the Rolls Royce of canners.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
took some peaches from grandmas celllar damn near 15 yo, mushy, slight off tastes, but just fine.

no shits or bowel trauma

food in a sealed environment will last forever

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Scientists tested some century old canned food found in the Artic.  It was still edible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If your family won't eat the food you are setting back then don't do it.  Storage should be food you commonly eat and go through regularly.  Otherwise you get to experiment with eating food that you are suspicious of . . . when you need good, nutritious food the most.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
For pressure canned vegitables and pickled food after 3 years the taste is ok but they get a little mushy in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lasts years.  Books say 3 to 5.  I have eaten stuff that was over 10 and tasted fine.  Color was kind of faded / off.
Pressure canned pinto beans are great.  Just add some canned meat to a tortilla and instant burritos.
Real fast food.

I use a presto canner and love it. 75 bucks will get you started.   American is the Rolls Royce of canners.

View Quote

Pretty much my experience as well.  The experts on this stuff are in the Survival forum though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My research into this has led me to believe properly canned meats last many years, although the best nutritional value is within 2 years. Just had a casserole with chicken from 2011, it was great.
I canned it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
heat, light and oxygen destroy food. The pressure canning takes care of the oxygen, store in a dark cool place, profit. Canning is worth your time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top