Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2014 12:36:19 PM EDT
discuss.

insteresting film.  uncertainty principle, mystery of whetrer god exists, where there is  any justice or even meaning, the problem of evil, etc...

what was th epoint of the scene in yiddish in the beginning.  was the guy a demon corpse or not?   is the only way to know to stab him lol?

SPOILER ALERT:
what is the point at the end where he writes in a passing grade wang(for the bribe)?  Wrong yes, but on one hand, he was doign it to help his stupid fag uncle, on the other hand, as soon as he did, he phone rang about him having cancer and his sone got wiped out by a tornado (like job's son).  Is the point that:
1. his previous woes were punishments for future crimes?
2. god and satan in their wager had to test him first, to see if they coudl make him compromise his morals like until you look in the box, the cat is neither dead or alive.

Haha, I just realied  that they also referenced shrodinger's cat in "the invidible man."

Favorite part of hte movie: the exchange w/ wang's father in teh drive way:
Protagonist: "so, you're gonna sue me for me for deformation unless what?"
Wang Sr: "unless you take the money."
Prot: "so, there was money."
WS: "that's deformation."
Prot: "well was there any money or not."
WS: "you just have to accept hte mystery." lol

The lyrics of hte song frm the beginning and the end:
[i]When the truth is found to be lies
An' all the joy within you dies

Don't you want somebody to love?
Don't you need somebody...

When the dawn is rose they are dead
Yes, and you're mine, you're mine, you're so full of red

Don't you want somebody to love...

Your eyes, I say your eyes may look like his
Yeah, but in your head, baby
I'm afraid you don't know where it is

Don't you want somebody to love?
Don't you need somebody to love?
Wouldn't you love somebody to love?
You better find somebody to love

Tears are runnin', runnin' along down your breast
And your friends, baby, they treat you like a guest

Don't you want somebody to love...
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen it.  Sounds interesting.

Jefferson Airplane.... good music there.

I take it you're shitfaced.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha.  No not shit faced, just in a contemplative state,for watching the film.  The ovie is abouy this really good guy, a jew FWIW anf a theoretical physics math teacher, in the 60s, who's worldsuddenly falls apart, one thing afger another goes to shit.  You,really feel bad for they guy, let me tell you.  He just cant catch a break.

The film is very well done and it ultimately draws the audience in, not to just the sympathy with the tragiccharacter but in to why; why are we here, why is their evil if thre is god, why is god so obscure etc   it is just a really intense experience.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I nominate OP for the 2014 the "Snowleopard" in the category of literary references.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is the point at the end where he writes in a passing grade wang(for the bribe)?  Wrong yes, but on one hand, he was doign it to help his stupid fag uncle.....
View Quote

His uncle?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

His uncle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the point at the end where he writes in a passing grade wang(for the bribe)?  Wrong yes, but on one hand, he was doign it to help his stupid fag uncle.....

His uncle?

I got the feeling it was his ucle.  Perhaps it was his older brother, you know, the guy with the neck syst.  That was another funny part of the movie
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a Cohen Brothers movie. So yeah it can be a little weird. I thought it was great though. Loosely based on the Book of Job.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I got the feeling it was his ucle.  Perhaps it was his older brother, you know, the guy with the neck syst.  That was another funny part of the movie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His uncle?

His brother.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried to watch it but kept falling asleep.

"The Man Who Wasn't There". Now that's a good Cohen movie.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes that one was great too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, the man who wasnt therre, not the invisible man as I put in the op  They also referenced shrodinger's cat there, saw that ladt wee.  Blood,simple is coming up, a fav.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Something else I remember about the mobie.  When vang came in to ask for new grade vang says he understands tge physics, he understsnds about the cat.  Tge protagonist points out that the dead cat story is just illustrive, that it just gives you a picture, that really understanding the physics is in understanding the math.  

This is an analogy.  Like understanding the problem of evil or something intellectyally is not sufficient, to really understand you hafe to  ecperience woe???
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The problem is that quantum mechanical weirdness isn't scalable to the macro world. You don't diffract when you walk through a doorway. You don't exist in a probabilistic volume. We can measure your position and velocity. There is no probability that the cat is outside the box or inside the box or dead or alive.

At the time, the analogy was a way to illustrate the idea in a way people could understand.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem is that quantum mechanical weirdness isn't scalable to the macro world. You don't diffract when you walk through a doorway. You don't exist in a probabilistic volume. We can measure your position and velocity. There is no probability that the cat is outside the box or inside the box or dead or alive.

At the time, the analogy was a way to illustrate the idea in a way people could understand.
View Quote

right, my point is that quantum uncertantity is an alagoy to &/or related to the uncertantity of the problem of evil.

othr thing that was interesting was that word for god they used, was not familiar w/ it, kept talking about him being hidden from view, speaking to us through obscurity.

from Wikipedia;
Tzimtzum in Kabbalistic thought holds that God has withdrawn himself so that creation could exist, but that this withdrawal means that creation lacks full exposure to God's all-good nature.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll check it out.  I like 'Donnie Darko' and 'The Machinist,' which both similar questions.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll check it out.  I like 'Donnie Darko' and 'The Machinist,' which both similar questions.
View Quote

still need to see DD.  The machinist...  

...was a...phychological thriller I guess.  Not sure how philisophocial it was, outside of a Crime & Punishment theme.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top