A lead bullet mold.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very, very nice!

What did you get your Mom?
View Quote

haha so far a Benzomatic flexible lighter. She is a lot harder to shop for. I will probably take her out for a real nice dinner.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell us about the gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tell us about the gun.
View Quote

It's a CVA kit. .44 cal

Do you have any specific questions?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
How long did it take to assemble?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I worked on it for a couple months. The initial assemble went pretty easy. Mostly just cleaning up the pieces and making sure everything functioned, at that point the most time consuming part was fitting the barrel. Probably the single most time consuming part was the grip. The most "difficult" part for me was the bluing. I have never done any kind of bluing work before and wasn't really sure what to expect. I used Brownells Oxpho blue. I think it came out pretty good. If I had to guess I would say there is somewhere between 40-50 hours.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I worked on it for a couple months. The initial assemble went pretty easy. Mostly just cleaning up the pieces and making sure everything functioned, at that point the most time consuming part was fitting the barrel. Probably the single most time consuming part was the grip. The most "difficult" part for me was the bluing. I have never done any kind of bluing work before and wasn't really sure what to expect. I used Brownells Oxpho blue. I think it came out pretty good. If I had to guess I would say there is somewhere between 40-50 hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really cool.  I just did a quick google search and didn't find anything.  Where did you get the kit from?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome gift. Great work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Oxpho Blue is the bomb-

Pieta complete re-finish:
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's really cool.  I just did a quick google search and didn't find anything.  Where did you get the kit from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad actually bought the kit probably 20 or so years go. I think it was just one of those things that he thought would be fun, then took a look at the instructions and thought maybe later. I snagged it from him, and will surprise him with it! This is the kit. http://www.armslist.com/posts/2430008/bloomington-illinois-muzzle-loaders-for-sale--cva-1861-colt-navy-revolver-kit There are also new kits and parts from other manufactures. If you're thinking of one of these just be aware it cost me about the same, if not a little more for tools and supplies then a complete reproduction from uberti. But I think he will be surprised, and really like it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks awesome
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My dad actually bought the kit probably 20 or so years go. I think it was just one of those things that he thought would be fun, then took a look at the instructions and thought maybe later. I snagged it from him, and will surprise him with it!
View Quote

That's just awesome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, that is just badass.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys.

I also ordered this case for it, in red felt, that I'm still waiting on.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
That's really cool good on you op and merry christmas
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My dad actually bought the kit probably 20 or so years go. I think it was just one of those things that he thought would be fun, then took a look at the instructions and thought maybe later. I snagged it from him, and will surprise him with it! This is the kit. http://www.armslist.com/posts/2430008/bloomington-illinois-muzzle-loaders-for-sale--cva-1861-colt-navy-revolver-kit There are also new kits and parts from other manufactures. If you're thinking of one of these just be aware it cost me about the same, if not a little more for tools and supplies then a complete reproduction from uberti. But I think he will be surprised, and really like it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome, thanks.  Seems like a cool project.  I may have to look into it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
You are a good son. Merry Christmas to you and your Dad.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great! Wish i had the time to do one for my dad.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Did you get the Son from gunsmoke to engrave the cylinder?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, can I be your dad too?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top