Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2013 5:29:34 AM EDT
I started a similar thread for electric guitars some time ago but other interests pulled me away from purchasing a guitar.  This time around I'm more interested in acoustic guitars.  

I have a Korean-made Epiphone acoustic that I'm not even sure is full-size (total length is 40.5 inches).  It was borrowed from a friend back in the 90's and every time I've tried to give it back he tells me to just keep it.  The problem I have with it is that it's sound is high and twangy while I want a fuller sound.  My primary playing interest is basic rhythm chord progressions for songs from artists like Bob Segar and The Eagles.  

Will a different set of strings make my Epiphone sound closer to what I want or is it just the nature of the beast in that little cheap guitar?  What would be a decent, fuller sounding beginning guitar for say $300-500.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Seagull.  Excellent value guitars.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
"flat tops" strings.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to be a dick, but that's a pretty subjective question, and is along the lines of asking "which 1911 is best for me for shooting plate matches?"

I've been playing 30+ years and can make some suggestions that may help a little. In your price range, I might suggest a Yamaha LJ6, an Alvarez AJ80, or one of the Blueridge BR4x guitars.

There is no substitute for actually going into a store and sitting down and playing everything you can get your hands on. If it sounds great, but is a bear to play, you won't enjoy it and will stop playing. If it's easy to play, but sounds like crap, again, you'll drop it. Finding the guitar that balances tone, feel, and your budget is a magical moment.

If you were here in FL, I'd be glad to let you play a few of mine and would help you pick out something locally. The  Blueridge my brother got 10 odd years ago is an amazing tonal machine on a budget. He's recorded tons with it. I had a Yamaha AP that got crushed years ago, but it was another great budget player that took tons of abuse and sounded good. Definitely not the easiest to play, but it met 2 of the 3 considerations.

If you are feeling relatively comfortable going after something a little pricier, zzounds has a multi payment plan with NO credit check. You can really stretch your musical budget that way. If you go that route, you have hundreds of other options you can look at.

IM me if I can offer more precise direction.

ETA - Seagull isn't a bad choice either. It's a subjective thing tone-wise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top