Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 2:45:29 PM EDT
So I am looking at doing a chartered sail boat in St. Lucia in July for five days.  Fully provisioned without a captain or cook.  I am looking at using Moorings.com.  I have never done something like this before and wanted to hear from people who have done it.  This would be a honeymoon, something to allow the Ms to sun on the deck and relax while I got to sail, fish, snorkel and have a small adventure.  Advice?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used cyoa, out of st Thomas. I can give more in formation when I am at my computer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used cyoa, out of st Thomas. I can give more in formation when I am at my computer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Please do, we just discovered this and have gotten extremely excited.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure the boat is not the S.S. Minnow
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know how to sail?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you know how to sail?

View Quote

Ain't nobody got time fo that!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know how to sail?

The tone of OP makes me wonder if he realizes there is no captain, crew, or provisions .

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just make sure the boat is not the S.S. Minnow
View Quote

nor a "three hour tour";  those don't always end well
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
make damn sure you check EVERYTHING works before you sign off on the boat. especially the head. They will charge you if it's broken.... Check the phone and everything everything everything!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do you know how to sail?

View Quote

Wondering the same thing.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you know how to sail?

View Quote

And navigate, and anchor, and dock, and deal with port/anchorage logistics, and ... you know, everything else you need to understand to do a bareboat charter.

I know how to do all those things, and if it were my honeymoon, I'd still pay for a captain and mate so that I could actually enjoy it and not worry about any of that stuff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd suggest for your first charter sail the British Virgin Islands where the navigation is all line of sight and it the sea conditions are generally more benign.

If you've never chartered before I suggest a flotilla charter out of Tortola with Sunsail.

You will have a great time.

http://www.sunsail.com/flotilla-sailing
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd suggest for your first charter sail the British Virgin Islands where the navigation is all line of sight and it the sea conditions are generally more benign.

If you've never chartered before I suggest a flotilla charter out of Tortola with Sunsail.

You will have a great time.

http://www.sunsail.com/flotilla-sailing
View Quote

British Virgin's are easier and very romantic.  Great snorkel and dive spots. Fun beach bars and restaurants. My wife and teens really enjoyed Virgin Gorda.    http://www.viyachts.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have sailed before, even if you have not spent much time as captain, you will most likely qualify to charter one of our yachts. An understanding of basic seamanship, boat handling and navigation is all that is required for a yacht charter in many of our locations although some of the more technical destinations will require more experience.
View Quote

You got any of that?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And navigate, and anchor, and dock, and deal with port/anchorage logistics, and ... you know, everything else you need to understand to do a bareboat charter.

I know how to do all those things, and if it were my honeymoon, I'd still pay for a captain and mate so that I could actually enjoy it and not worry about any of that stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know how to sail?

Exactly, and is the wife into sailing and having you order her around (i.e. pull in the jib, drop the anchor while I set it ,,,, etc, etc) If not, it could turn ugly
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Exactly, and is the wife into sailing and having you order her around (i.e. pull in the jib, drop the anchor while I set it ,,,, etc, etc) If not, it could turn ugly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know how to sail?

Hard to get romantic with a crew on a 40' boat. If he can't handle the sailing solo he should bareboat a power cat.
With a crew you are paying for them to eat even if you want to go out to eat every night and with salary and tips it get expensive. My wife and kids have no sailing experience,  I basically needed them for picking up the moorings and getting the spring line out when we docked. Other than that they were passengers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top