Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/12/2013 10:54:31 AM EDT
So I got myself an awesome Malamute pup, fucking pricey but hey he's awesome. Here's my issue. I have an 11 year old Golden Retriever that apparently hates the shit out of him. Leave the two alone and he freaks the fuck out on him. Now when I got my golden I had a mut that literally taught him half the shit he knows. So i was kinda hoping this would turn out the same way. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't remember this much hate coming from the older dog.

Any tips to make the two get along?

tl;dr older dog is being an asshole how do i make him stop
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
For the love of god, don't take him to Montana!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Why's that?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
He's just putting the pup in his place, give it some time and it'll work itself out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's just putting the pup in his place, give it some time and it'll work itself out.
View Quote

Sort of like posting here...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
give it time.  

my lab hates our 2 year old son.  not that she will bite him, but she's just like "leave me the f alone kid"  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why's that?
View Quote

Hunters. Malamutes. Bad combination. We might have a big thread on here about that...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Let them work it out, the old guy is just schooling the 13er.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was expecting that to be the first reply actually. Old dog not tolerating a pup well - not uncommon at all. It will work itself out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hunters. Malamutes. Bad combination. We might have a big thread on here about that...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why's that?

I didn't even think about that. He's a very beautiful red to. Guess I won't bring him to visit my cousin.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Your situation is actually a GOOD one. If you have never had a malamute they WANT to be the pack leaders and are stubborn as hell. Its a good thing your golden is putting him in his place while he is young. A malamute on its own can be a serious PITA if you dont know the breed. Get him in obedience training early and keep on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
What's with the 'dag' thing? Is that the new word for dog??
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
We have an old JRT and got a young lab mix, they fought a lot for the first week and slowed down some, goin occasionally for three months, and not much since. If they're gonna, not all do, you gotta let them do it, you are the alpha, they sort the rest, try to keep them from getting too serious, hopefully you have less emergency vet visits and stitches than we did. And no cop visits from your wife screaming "NO JACK, NO, STOP JACK!" and helpful 911 calling neighbors, so glad I wasn't home for that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
give it time.  

my lab hates our 2 year old son.  not that she will bite him, but she's just like "leave me the f alone kid"  
View Quote

The thing that worries me is we have already had him for 4ish weeks and he still fucks with him. The old dog and I used to play really rough. So I'm worried that he might hurt the soon to be huge pup. And the asshole knows he did wrong. When I opened up the door they were both in the door way with the pup crying like a newborn (it's kinda disturbing) and the old dog knowing he did wrong. I mean i just scowled at him and he put is tail between his legs and ran in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

10'ers, sheesh...

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

10'ers, sheesh...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10'ers, sheesh...

ha don't forget I'm technically a 13er
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your situation is actually a GOOD one. If you have never had a malamute they WANT to be the pack leaders and are stubborn as hell. Its a good thing your golden is putting him in his place while he is young. A malamute on its own can be a serious PITA if you dont know the breed. Get him in obedience training early and keep on it.
View Quote

I get what your saying. My golden was pretty much trained by are lab/collie mix. Fucking wicked smart mix. My golden is just as smart so maybe your right. I get a little panicky when my large ass golden starts freaking out on my 18 pound mal though. I'm just worried hes gonna chomp and its gonna be lights out for little Gunter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Forgot to add that we are set up for classes already. Just have to wait for school and work to align so we can get him there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was expecting that to be the first reply actually. Old dog not tolerating a pup well - not uncommon at all. It will work itself out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. My 6yo yellow lab hated when we got a black lab puppy. Now the puppy is around 8 months they get along a lot better. I wouldn't say they are best friends but it is way better than when we first brought him home. I only see it getting better from here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. My 6yo yellow lab hated when we got a black lab puppy. Now the puppy is around 8 months they get along a lot better. I wouldn't say they are best friends but it is way better than when we first brought him home. I only see it getting better from here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's good to hear. Though at 8 months I'm pretty sure my Golden will not want to fuck with my Mal anymore haha. How bad were the fights between the two when they were younger?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I get what your saying. My golden was pretty much trained by are lab/collie mix. Fucking wicked smart mix. My golden is just as smart so maybe your right. I get a little panicky when my large ass golden starts freaking out on my 18 pound mal though. I'm just worried hes gonna chomp and its gonna be lights out for little Gunter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw, that's just how old dogs correct pups.  Starts with the warning growl, moves to a viscous teeth-baring snarl/bark, then a nip, and if the pup still hasn't gotten the idea that his behavior is unacceptable, the mouth clamping around the throat for a few seconds usually does it.  At 11, I'd imagine the Golden doesn't really enjoy being climbed on very much.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Whatever you do, under no circumstances, post any pictures of this dog on arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I take it that they are both males. Do they both still have their balls? If so, that can also be a cause.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Naw, that's just how old dogs correct pups.  Starts with the warning growl, moves to a viscous teeth-baring snarl/bark, then a nip, and if the pup still hasn't gotten the idea that his behavior is unacceptable, the mouth clamping around the throat for a few seconds usually does it.  At 11, I'd imagine the Golden doesn't really enjoy being climbed on very much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man you would be surprised I wish I would have breed him because even at 11 he is still acting like he was 5. So I guess my question to you in the know is when is it to far? For insensates when i got a cat my golden barked and snarled when he got close to his food but after that the were the best of friends. Is it just cause its another dog or maybe the pup plays rougher then my Golden cares for?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I've got a malamute and a malamute mix, they need a strong pack order. You should post some pics of the new pup.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I take it that they are both males. Do they both still have their balls? If so, that can also be a cause.
View Quote

Ha yes Mal is to young for me to feel comfortable getting him the snip. Never did have the heart to snip the Golden's either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This. I've got a malamute and a malamute mix, they need a strong pack order. You should post some pics of the new pup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually got him from a local breeder have you heard of them?

His Dad

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

His Dad
http://www.willowcreekmalamutes.com/siteimages/120.%20Slayer%201%20year.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

I haven't heard of them, our first dog (the mix) came from a shelter and our "real" malamute came from WAMAL. Your pup's dad looks awesome, I love red malamutes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I haven't heard of them, our first dog (the mix) came from a shelter and our "real" malamute came from WAMAL. Your pup's dad looks awesome, I love red malamutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

Same here I fell in love with malamutes then fell in love again when I saw the red ones.
Though I definitely paid a premium with Gunter. I would have gone the route you took had I not seen his picture and instantly knew I found a new companion.
If I had some way of posting pics I would but he is definitely turning out like his dad.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ha yes Mal is to young for me to feel comfortable getting him the snip. Never did have the heart to snip the Golden's either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be the main problem. My experience is strictly with Akita's so I could be wrong. Two male Akita's is hard. Two male Akita's that still have their balls is next to impossible.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That could be the main problem. My experience is strictly with Akita's so I could be wrong. Two male Akita's is hard. Two male Akita's that still have their balls is next to impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any experience is welcome. Mind if I ask on the ages you did the snip snip?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
The Golden Retrievers I've been around are generally pretty tolerant of both people and other dogs. Mine died a few years ago, but he always got along with other dogs (squirrels and any sort of inflatable balls did not fare as well!)

At 11, he's probably just old and crotchety.  Doesn't have time to put up with the puppy's shenanigans.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch the movie Snatch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

His Dad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

It's a wolf!!! tat    tat tat tat tat tat tat.. It's ok every body I got it!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Golden Retrievers I've been around are generally pretty tolerant of both people and other dogs. Mine died a few years ago, but he always got along with other dogs (squirrels and any sort of inflatable balls did not fare as well!)

At 11, he's probably just old and crotchety.  Doesn't have time to put up with the puppy's shenanigans.
View Quote

My Golden a year or so back caught a rat spotted him at 30 meters and ran for it caught him and ate him whole I watched the whole thing haha. The thing is he is still very strong and that whats worrying me. Ounce the Mal get to six months he will bigger then the Golden but right now hes just so much smaller. Maybe I'm just being one of those weird over protective dog people
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

A wooly red? Not even a Montana hunter would make that mistake.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

You know not to show my age or anything but when saw his dad all I could see was

I

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My Golden a year or so back caught a rat spotted him at 30 meters and ran for it caught him and ate him whole I watched the whole thing haha. The thing is he is still very strong and that whats worrying me. Ounce the Mal get to six months he will bigger then the Golden but right now hes just so much smaller. Maybe I'm just being one of those weird over protective dog people
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd just limit their unsupervised interactions, and make sure you pay plenty of attention to the golden so he doesn't get too jealous.

Have you owned a malamute before? If not, prepare to fall in love with the weirdest fucking creatures ever to live.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Give them supervised, controlled play time. Your Golden is just at that grumpy old fucker stage, just like people. If he isn't really hurting the puppy, they will work it out. At the same time don't let it get out of hand. If the Golden steps out of line, he needs a time out.

You can get some terrible dog advice on the web man.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like to do it before they hit 2. Its probably bullshit, but supposedly they tend to get a little bigger if you wait until they are adults. I had a male that was 5 and occasionally fostered rescues until they could find permanent homes. The first few times, the rescues were females and my male would politely show them who the boss was. The first time I took in a male that had his balls, my male locked onto his throat and I pretty much had to beat him off. That rescue went to another house an hour later. The second male I took in had no balls and they were fine. Third male had balls and a $3k emergency vet bill a few hours later. After that, my male had his nuts cut and I never did a foster again. My male was fine with any other male after that though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
give it time.  

my lab female golden hates our 2 year old son daughter.  not that she will bite him, but she's just like "leave me the f alone kid"  
View Quote

lab loves the kiddo
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

I am a Nevada predator hunter... We know things.. Like he's a wolf.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You know not to show my age or anything but when saw his dad all I could see was

Ihttp://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b8/059Arcanine.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Dad

Ihttp://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b8/059Arcanine.png

Not to show my age or anything but I have no clue what that is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#43]
They have to settle it themselves... But first you need to firmly establish that YOU are in charge and the alpha to both. Your Lab probably knows, but the pup will constantly be testing the waters. So domination excersizes for BOTH are good. This is not Alpha roll stuff, this is Holding the dog down until it gives up and acquieses. This will typically be a sigh and a going limp.  Do it now, while the Malmute is still easily manhand-able... This is holding the pup like you would cradle a baby, and having your way with his body. you get to move his paws, and look at his ears, and eyes and teeth (also very handy to do when you go to the vet or need to give eye or ear drogs, or clean teeth)... This is holding the pup up so he's standing only on his back legs and looking straight in his eyes until he gives up and breaks contact. Think of it as practicing your wofl stare.

Make sure that they both have their time... 2 dogs = 3times the work, because you need to spend time with each dog individually, and then with both dogs together. Take each dog for a short walk seperately for a week or two, alternating who gets to go first. Spend that time playing only with THAT dog. Then crate that one and do the same with the other dog.

Do you have a trainer? Or where are you going to to to socialize the dog? Else the northern breed skittishness will start coming out. Puppy needs to meet and be exposed to a lot of people in a CONTROLLED setting... Puppy manners classes are fairly ideal, but it is also good to have him exposed to other dogs of various ages so he learns pack boundaries.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'd just limit their unsupervised interactions, and make sure you pay plenty of attention to the golden so he doesn't get too jealous.

Have you owned a malamute before? If not, prepare to fall in love with the weirdest fucking creatures ever to live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill will do that. I have been making sure to spend some extra time with the Golden but maybe a one on one walk and play time is needed. Yes this is my first Mal ha Ive already had a taste off the weirdness
howling like a wolf when I leave the room or when he wants to go to the bathroom. Crying like a baby when the Golden is an asshole. Definitely a a talkative breed. Don't know where you are in WA but it would be cool to socialize him with dogs of his breed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ill will do that. I have been making sure to spend some extra time with the Golden but maybe a one on one walk and play time is needed. Yes this is my first Mal ha Ive already had a taste off the weirdness
howling like a wolf when I leave the room or when he wants to go to the bathroom. Crying like a baby when the Golden is an asshole. Definitely a a talkative breed. Don't know where you are in WA but it would be cool to socialize him with dogs of his breed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the Bothell area. Both of my guys love playing with other dogs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#46]
It happens.  My 7 year old great dane beat the piss out of his little sister GSD last night.  She fucks with him and he is normally a pretty good sport, but apparently last night she needed her ass kicked.  

Try to limit their time together to when the puppy is a little worn out or tired, less likely to try to stir shit with the senior citizen.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They have to settle it themselves... But first you need to firmly establish that YOU are in charge and the alpha to both. Your Lab probably knows, but the pup will constantly be testing the waters. So domination excersizes for BOTH are good. This is not Alpha roll stuff, this is Holding the dog down until it gives up and acquieses. This will typically be a sigh and a going limp.  Do it now, while the Malmute is still easily manhand-able... This is holding the pup like you would cradle a baby, and having your way with his body. you get to move his paws, and look at his ears, and eyes and teeth (also very handy to do when you go to the vet or need to give eye or ear drogs, or clean teeth)... This is holding the pup up so he's standing only on his back legs and looking straight in his eyes until he gives up and breaks contact. Think of it as practicing your wofl stare.

Make sure that they both have their time... 2 dogs = 3times the work, because you need to spend time with each dog individually, and then with both dogs together. Take each dog for a short walk seperately for a week or two, alternating who gets to go first. Spend that time playing only with THAT dog. Then crate that one and do the same with the other dog.

Do you have a trainer? Or where are you going to to to socialize the dog? Else the northern breed skittishness will start coming out. Puppy needs to meet and be exposed to a lot of people in a CONTROLLED setting... Puppy manners classes are fairly ideal, but it is also good to have him exposed to other dogs of various ages so he learns pack boundaries.
View Quote

So far we have brought him around 12 different people and 3 different dogs besides the Golden. I hear you with the Alpha stuff. Ive been trying to incorporate that daily. Its funny that my girlfriend does none of that and wonder why he acts different towards her. Since hes got almost all of his shot might be time to bring him to the dog park.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#48]
If they both have their balls, that is almost certainly the problem.  Having 2 male malamutes that are fixed and get along is uncommon and tends to be problematic.  Having 2 male dogs that aren't fixed is likely to be impossible.  Even if you wait too long before fixing, it can negatively affect their behavior as pets.  One of our malamutes got fixed at just over 1 year old and he's a total dick/still likes to mark on inappropriate things.

For now, I would crate the pup when you're not around (to break up bigger scuffles) and allow them to have supervised time together to work out appropriate behavior.  Once the younger one is old enough to get fixed, I wouldn't hesitate to do it (the world really doesn't need any more dogs (esp. malamutes - they're hard to adopt out because they're high maintenance), and see how that affects their dynamic.  The golden is probably doing you a huge favor.  Instilling the necessity of submissive behavior in the puppy young will drop the likelihood that he will challenge you in the future, and also help prevent scuffles with him and other dogs (the last thing you want is your powerful dog to scuffle with something like a pug and kill it).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you are way far away I'm nestled in Vantucky
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's a bit of a drive. I'm sure there's a malamute group you could meet up with nearby. We've never actually hung out with other malamutes (just a ton of play dates with dogs owned by various friends) but I'd imagine it would be funny to see a bunch of malamutes all being weird together.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top