Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 7:00:02 AM EDT
Source

"Those willing to endure some cold and stay up past their bedtimes are about to be treated to the annual Geminid meteor shower.

This year's shower begins to peak just after midnight Thursday (the early-morning hours of Friday) and lasts through dawn. Then it's back Friday night into the predawn hours of Saturday. Falling stars should be visible beginning mid-to-late evening and ending at dawn both nights."
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, watch the meteor shower… then go blind and get eaten by carnivorous plants.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The Geminids can be very impressive. Naturally, it's supposed to be cloudy tonight here.

In mid-December every year Earth passes through the Geminid meteoroid stream. The resulting meteor shower is unusual in several ways. It's often the richest reliable shower of the year, and it seems to be strengthening over the decades. It becomes nicely active as early as mid-evening, so you don't have to wait until after midnight (as is the case with many other showers). Its meteors are relatively slow, arriving at 36 km (22 miles) per second, hardly more than half the speed of the Perseids, Orionids, and Leonids. Also, these meteors often appear yellowish, and their deep plunges into the atmosphere betray them as dense bits of rock rather than fluffy dust clods like most cometary meteors...
View Quote

MORE INFO HERE
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, watch the meteor shower… then go blind and get eaten by carnivorous plants.

View Quote

No thanks.

Maybe it will just make all the machines come to life.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No thanks.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
it's gonna be 10 degrees and windy tonight. not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I will check it out. I should be worthwhile to take a look.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Clear and 27 here. If I'm up, I'll definitely check it out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw one last night at 9pm heading west. It was as green as an airplanes nab light and it was trucking!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw a big one last night while walking the dogs at about 10 mountain time
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads-up!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#12]
No work tomorrow and clear tonight. Sounds like I will be having some drinks and laying on the driveway... just like every weekend

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Time to bust out the night vision again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My initial thought is that they would be worthless but give it a try and compare with someone looking the same direction just visually.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My initial thought is that they would be worthless but give it a try and compare with someone looking the same direction just visually.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Well, I can see the trees, and the dogs, but the white dog blends into the snow, I can only see certain color frisbees and I can't make out the branches on the trees"
-Close scoped eye, open un-aided eye-
"And I can't see my hand in front of my face."

Quoted:

With night vision, every night is meteor shower night!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info, I usually forget these and if i do remember it's cloudy out
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top