Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 3:53:55 PM EDT
I'm currently on a Verizon family plan but am looking to get my own single phone plan instead. Verizon has a couple of options:

$60/month "Loyalty Plan" for unlimited talk, text, 2GB of data. (I believe $15 for each extra GB used)

$110/month for unlimited talk, text, 4GB of data.

Sprint offers unlimited everything for $80/month.

From what I understand, Sprint's coverage isn't as good, but I know that depends on the area in which you reside.

Does anyone have any serious qualms about either company? Why shouldn't I switch from Verizon to Sprint to protect from overages with their unlimited data plan?

*I average 2.6GB of data per month.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Verizon rapes your ass on charges then boasts about it, but fuck if I've been able to find ANY other company with as good of coverage as they have.  Between personal and work, I've used most of the major carriers and still believe Big V is the best there is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on the numbers you give, the $60 plan plus $30 for 2 gig extra is still cheaper than the $110 plan
So I'd go with that one of the two.

How  much do you travel, and do you have Sprint coverage where you go?

That's the big downside to Sprint compared to Verizon.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
How is Sprint's coverage in the area you'll use this primarily?

Is it LTE or Sprint's shitty 3G joke shit?

I gladly accepted limits to go on Verizon. Sprint's shit network was THAT bad, in my area.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't travel a lot, so I'm not too worried about that issue as far as coverage is concerned. But apparently Sprint has some shitty coverage in my area. They do have LTE, but so does Verizon.

I also got an updated quote from Verizon; turns out I had to talk to the right person. I was able to get the $60/month "Loyalty Plan" and added 2 more gigs of data, totaling 4GB, for only $10 extra. So I'm basically paying $70/month with a 15% data discount on top of that.

The most data that I've ever used in a month was 4GB, and I figure if I do that again I'll just eat the $15 overage fee. I feel that I made the right decision.

Thanks for the input guys!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Sprint's world headquarters is in my area and they can't even get their coverage right there.

So................
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had sprint since 1998. Service is decent in SoCal but sucks I'm Phoenix.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had Sprint for like 15 years now---we get a discount because of my wife's employer.  Their coverage in my area is excellent---we have 4G LTE here.  I hear people complain about customer service, but I've never had any problem with them.  The only complaint I have is that there's only one repair center in my town and it's a half hour drive away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Verizon rapes your ass on charges then boasts about it, but fuck if I've been able to find ANY other company with as good of coverage as they have.  Between personal and work, I've used most of the major carriers and still believe Big V is the best there is.
View Quote

This is pretty much true.

I've been with Verizon since they were Cellular One.  
Because I've been with them for so long I can leverage slightly better deals from them.
An example is when my wife got her phone, I banned texting and internet from that phone.  I demanded and got the data plan charge removed.

We use the Sprint PPT at work.  It's bloody awful and unreliable.  You'd be better off using smoke signals or soup cans and string.
Sprint's customer service regarding this issue is non-existent.

Verizon is probably the lesser of all the evil phone carriers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]
ANYTHING but Sprint.  Sprint is fucking awful.  AWFUL.  Stay away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I got Sprint a little under 2 years ago.
We are in Milwaukee, and Sprint won't open a LTE market here.
Their 3G is a joke.
As soon as our 2 years are up we are going to a different carrier.

In short, Sprint sucks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate both, but I hated Sprint more.  I had them for a year, and after they were overcharging and double charging my account and couldn't figure out why, I eventually got sick of calling customer service every month.   I went to Verizon and pay $10 more per month now, but I haven't had to call and bitch yet after 4 years.  Though I am disappointed that they got rid of unlimited download after renewing my contract.  I hardly ever use 1gb a month anyway so it's not that bad.

ETA: To clarify, I hate all phone services.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't travel a lot, so I'm not too worried about that issue as far as coverage is concerned. But apparently Sprint has some shitty coverage in my area. They do have LTE, but so does Verizon.

I also got an updated quote from Verizon; turns out I had to talk to the right person. I was able to get the $60/month "Loyalty Plan" and added 2 more gigs of data, totaling 4GB, for only $10 extra. So I'm basically paying $70/month with a 15% data discount on top of that.

The most data that I've ever used in a month was 4GB, and I figure if I do that again I'll just eat the $15 overage fee. I feel that I made the right decision.

Thanks for the input guys!
View Quote

Add all the horse shit fees and you'll be paying $100 a  month. I have Verizon's nationwide 450 plan. When I switched from sprint they had a double data deal. I pay $30 a month for 4gb of data. I get a discount of 20% a month through work and my bill is still $100 a month after all the bullshit. Only reason I switched from sprint was because I bought a house and was roaming at home and verizon coverage was a bit better.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#14]
My dad, brother and I went house boating on Lake Shasta a year or two ago. They both had the newest coolest phones and I had some cheap pos on Verizon. I was the only one with a working phone.

They are now both on Verizon with their newest and coolest phones, I still have my cheap pos and still get reception wherever I go.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm stuck with sprint for the unlimited data. Verizon is King of LTE coverage in my area.  Wish I could switch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have sprint and even when I can get 4g lte it is slow. They are cheaper and I get a 17% discount through work. Hard to abuse unlimited data when dl speeds are so slow. Sometimes even streaming pandora in the car is too much for the network to handle. If tmobile did not pull that full price for phones shit I would have stayed there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm currently on a Verizon family plan but am looking to get my own single phone plan instead. Verizon has a couple of options:

$60/month "Loyalty Plan" for unlimited talk, text, 2GB of data. (I believe $15 for each extra GB used)

$110/month for unlimited talk, text, 4GB of data.

Sprint offers unlimited everything for $80/month.

From what I understand, Sprint's coverage isn't as good, but I know that depends on the area in which you reside.

Does anyone have any serious qualms about either company? Why shouldn't I switch from Verizon to Sprint to protect from overages with their unlimited data plan?

*I average 2.6GB of data per month.
View Quote

HUGE understatement,  Verizon has the best network and they think highly of it
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Sprint has lowest prices, but Verizon has best coverage.  Choose one.  

I live in a Sprint dead spot.  So I'm on Verizon.  

~100yds either direction from my house has Sprint coverage.  My house does not.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I just wanted to say fuck sprint! I wish I would have just kept my lines canceled and went through with a small claims on them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had Sprint for over 15 years. I have Verizon on my work phone. When one has good coverage, the other usually doesn't.

That being said, we have great Sprint coverage in North Georgia and the Carolinas. Their LTE has been very fast for me. It is not unusual to get better download speeds from my phone at the house than from my cable modem.

With four smartphones on my Sprint plan, I can't afford to go anywhere else. I have unlimited everything with a discount for $211 (taxes included) a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top