Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 5:31:08 PM EDT
I've been mulling one for some time...the first gens seem pretty stout and relatively easy/affordable to maintain.  I have the chance to purchase an 04 with 62k for 12500...haven't contacted the owner as to the maintenance, but I imagine it's been kept up considering the car.

I know they had differential issues.  

I live in new england, but am not all that worried about driving it in the snow.  With some blizzaks and traction control it would be fine I would think.

I can sell my current daily driver and a play car I have, and be into this car with some extra money in the bank for tires and maintenance items.  I live about 7 miles from work and really only put about 5k miles on a vehicle a year at this point.

What say the hive?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
$12,500...I'd take that shit. However, I would get a winter beater.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you posting here and not picking up your fucking car?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you posting while driving to pick it up? If not you should be, then post pic
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Sold one a couple months ago for 22.5.

WTF are you waiting for ???
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you posting while driving to pick it up? If not you should be, then post pic
View Quote

It's not technically for sale until after Christmas.  The car is a friend of a friend's father's who is retiring from Sikorsky aircraft next month and plans on retiring to Scotland.  The friend of a friend is car retarded and has no idea about it's history or maintenance.  Only that it will be for sale and the price is firm/cash.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$12,500...I'd take that shit. However, I would get a winter beater.
View Quote

This!!  That's almost half of the going price.  

I know because I did a lot of comparison shopping before buying my '05.

Get a beater to drive in the winter.  The extra wheels and valve stems to mount winter tires on will cost more than a reliable winter car.

The rear ends last as long as you don't abuse them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not technically for sale until after Christmas.  The car is a friend of a friend's father's who is retiring from Sikorsky aircraft next month and plans on retiring to Scotland.  The friend of a friend is car retarded and has no idea about it's history or maintenance.  Only that it will be for sale and the price is firm/cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suggest offering a hefty non refundable deposit in return for a bill of sale subject to the CTS-V being in the same condition when you pick it up. ETA: secure the car.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I suggest offering a hefty non refundable deposit in return for a bill of sale subject to the CTS-V being in the same condition when you pick it up. ETA: secure the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are on Craigslist locally here for anywhere from 10.5 to 18...

I'd really like to know what I can expect maintenance wise.  I  know ls6's are pretty stout, but what about the rest of the car?  I'm perfectly content with my current daily (A late model Buick) I figure if I can get into a v for this price, I can unload the Buick and sell a play car I have in the spring and be ahead of the game.  I'm not really looking to get into one if they are not reliable and are maintenance whores.  I know it's a later model sports sedan, but it's small block powered Cadillac.  This thing SHOULD be better than anything with a northstar in it. Now that they have some years, have any major issues started surfacing?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump for day crew
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
2004 model has a bad rap for weak rear axle. Google around on it. GM cheaped out and didn't go with the corvette shafts.

Launch it hard to many times and boom.   I wanna say they fixed it for the 05 model.

Now the 2006/7 with the LS2 is nice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

2004 model has a bad rap for weak rear axle. Google around on it. GM cheaped out and didn't go with the corvette shafts.

Launch it hard to many times and boom.   I wanna say they fixed it for the 05 model.

Now the 2006/7 with the LS2 is nice.
View Quote
My personal experience with them; Circa 2004

Waiting in line at Milan Dragway in my 03 SVT Cobra behind a 18-19 yr old kid with his Dads new <1000 mile V. He was telling a story of how "Dad said to take it out and see what it will run" in the pits. He did not really launch it hard from my point of view just off the waterbox. No wheelhop, just ~CracK~ and it rolled about 30' spilling fluid. Track guys were pissed he did not just brake and make a smaller mess. Saw it being loaded on flatbed. Totally fucked that right lane for the rest of the trackday.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Apart from the rear diff, they appear to be solid cars.

I think figure 1750 in parts for the "new" diff and halfshafts.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Besides the rear diff, some cars have motor mount issues. Nothing major.

You're getting an LSx powerplant, big assed Brembo brakes, a 6-speed gearbox and room for 5. FO. I was in the market for one a while back but ended up getting a TBSS.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Should be a kick ass car to drive around for awhile.  I say FO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one as a daily driver for a few months in SE PA. I had dedicated low pro high performance summer tires, so when it got like 40 degrees I couldn't go without it trying to spin.. Parked it for the winter and ended up selling it over the winter.

I had it like end of June-October and easily put 10k miles on it. Beach trips, and driving it hard. Not abusive but definitely driving it to its limits at times.

Not one issue. Rear tires were worn out at the end of 10k miles but it was lowered and even with a camber kit and all that when we aligned it, I knew it would wear hard. And the tires were soft performance tires that were made to grip, not last forever.

I see no reason not to.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I. Fucking. Love. My. V.

When I am not on a tablet I will regale you with compelling reasons.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#17]
My ex-gf's dad had one, really cool car.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I want one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Keep in mind that it is nearly 4000lbs and is a grand tourer, not a sports car. That being said ...

The good:

LS6 or LS2, T-56, handles exceptionally well, fairly light for a GT sedan.  LOTS of power, great cruising mileage at high speeds (23-24mpg @ 100mph cruise), will eat Subarus and Mustangs and BMW's and Mercs and Audis for BLD assuming they don't have a bunch of modifications to them.  

The bad:

Rear ends are a bit of a glass jaw.  Lots of this is due to the excessive cradle movement under load; Revshift and now Creative Steel make poly bushings to firm up the rear cradle, which has done quite a bit to alleviate movement and thus reduce the likelihood of the differential fragging.  Cadillac decided to put rubber bushings everywhere instead of poly, making things softer.  They wear out and cause clunks.  Rear differential, cradle, transmission and engine mounts should all be replaced with poly components by Revshift.

The ugly:

While a robust transmission, the T-56 is sloppy, and being a remote linkage it takes a fair bit of work to firm it up compared to other T-56's that don't have a linkage.

They did NOT fix the differential, ever, on the CTS-V.  They have 4 generations of differential that got progressively stronger from 04-07, but none of them have been immune to fragging in the right conditions.   Of course I still have an original 1st gen differential and I beat the everlivingshit out of it.  The important thing is to get out of the throttle if it starts to hop, then roll back into it hard.

It's my favorite car and I will hopefully never part from it. I'm pulling the engine this winter to add a bangstick and supporting mods in fact
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While a robust transmission, the T-56 is sloppy, and being a remote linkage it takes a fair bit of work to firm it up compared to other T-56's that don't have a linkage.
View Quote

Never realized that. Why does it use a remote linkage? Is the tailshaft that far forward of the cabin, or does it just use the same setup as the vette?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that it is nearly 4000lbs and is a grand tourer, not a sports car. That being said ...

The good:

LS6 or LS2, T-56, handles exceptionally well, fairly light for a GT sedan.  LOTS of power, great cruising mileage at high speeds (23-24mpg @ 100mph cruise), will eat Subarus and Mustangs and BMW's and Mercs and Audis for BLD assuming they don't have a bunch of modifications to them.  

The bad:

Rear ends are a bit of a glass jaw.  Lots of this is due to the excessive cradle movement under load; Revshift and now Creative Steel make poly bushings to firm up the rear cradle, which has done quite a bit to alleviate movement and thus reduce the likelihood of the differential fragging.  Cadillac decided to put rubber bushings everywhere instead of poly, making things softer.  They wear out and cause clunks.  Rear differential, cradle, transmission and engine mounts should all be replaced with poly components by Revshift.

The ugly:

They did NOT fix the differential, ever, on the CTS-V.  They have 4 generations of differential that got progressively stronger from 04-07, but none of them have been immune to fragging in the right conditions.   Of course I still have an original 1st gen differential and I beat the everlivingshit out of it.  The important thing is to get out of the throttle if it starts to hop, then roll back into it hard.

It's my favorite car and I will hopefully never part from it. I'm pulling the engine this winter to add a bangstick and supporting mods in fact
View Quote

The damn diff was the undoing for me. It took a lot of the  fun it should have been and replaced it with concern over getting on it too hard and replacing a diff. As for mpg, I thought it did ok but I never saw 24mpg when doing 100mph, granted I wasn't "cruising" at such speeds either.  All that said for $12k I would have it back in the garage. It was a sweet ride and it rarely failed to put a smile on my face

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Never realized that. Why does it use a remote linkage? Is the tailshaft that far forward of the cabin, or does it just use the same setup as the vette?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes correct the transmission sits further forward in the cabin on the V than it does on the Corvette.

The gen 5 Camaro uses a linkage now though, one of my projects this year is to make a MGW gated shifter from a Gen 5 work on a Gen 1 V.

Quoted:

The damn diff was the undoing for me. It took a lot of the  fun it should have been and replaced it with concern over getting on it too hard and replacing a diff. As for mpg, I thought it did ok but I never saw 24mpg when doing 100mph, granted I wasn't "cruising" at such speeds either.  All that said for $12k I would have it back in the garage. It was a sweet ride and it rarely failed to put a smile on my face

My wife and I drive to Vegas pretty regularly, it's 80mph speed limits all down I-15 from Payson, UT to St George; 100mph is kind of the new norm for cruising speed on clear days.  6th and cruise at that speed will do 23-24mpg, I've hand-calculated it a few times. Supposedly LS7 'vettes will do even better.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#23]
GM

It's a vette powered cimmiiron

Personally, I'd get an older V8 S4 or M5
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
GM

View Quote

lol

k
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
GM

View Quote

Most guys don't have the chops to take on a used euro car like that, too bad they would be rewarded with an amazing car.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most guys don't have the chops to take on a used euro car like that, too bad they would be rewarded with an amazing car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

I think I know a few guys that can work on High end Euros.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#27]
CTS's also have an issue with airbag deployment while you drive.

You are just driving along and the damn thing blows open in your face or the side bag knocks you across the car
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

If you don't do some of the work yourself that means you have the $ to fix a high dollar used car, most people in that situation would just lease a newer one.

I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to cars with a soul so I by used.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you don't do some of the work yourself that means you have the $ to fix a high dollar used car, most people in that situation would just lease a newer one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

I honestly like the older cars a bit better.  Less  idrive, more motor, less weight, less electric steering doodads
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

I am very familiar with ls based gm's, and have owned a few.  I like that IF a power steering pump or alternator shits the bed, it's a <$100 trip to napa and an hour or so of my time.  I'm only speculating on the German stuff, but I'd imagine they may be a "little" pricier to maintain.  Some people equate cost of ownership with status and exclusivity.  I'm the polar opposite of that.  I want a v8 powered, 4 door sedan, with a stick.  It just so happens the best bang for the buck package happens to be a Cadillac
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I am very familiar with ls based gm's, and have owned a few.  I like that IF a power steering pump or alternator shits the bed, it's a <$100 trip to napa and an hour or so of my time.  I'm only speculating on the German stuff, but I'd imagine they may be a "little" pricier to maintain.  Some people equate cost of ownership with status and exclusivity.  I'm the polar opposite of that.  I want a v8 powered, 4 door sedan, with a stick.  It just so happens the best bang for the buck package happens to be a Cadillac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

Did you see that Chevy has a new RWD V8 sedan?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

Here's some pics to wet yer panties

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Did you see that Chevy has a new RWD V8 sedan?
View Quote

Not for under 15k
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#34]
If it the car passes your inspection, buy it. Personally I wouldn't drive it in the snow but with good tires you certainly could drive it. I see plenty of rwd cars up here in central NY that seem to do alright in our harsh winters.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm an avowed GM basher, but that's a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

DarkCharisma is The Stig!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM

My daily driver is a '91 318is (with north of 250k miles).    Parts are comparable to the Jeep parts I've bought...if I can order on line from places like Autohausaz.    Definitely don't want to go with the dealer.
The Alternator on mine died.    Was going to replace it...but in doing some research, I just had to replace the voltage regulator...as the brushes have a 100k service life....the alternator is expected to keep going, and going , and going....

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Soooooooooooooo did you end up getting it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GM

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top