Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2002 7:49:00 PM EDT
[red] I just wanted to bump this thread, since we may have some vets coming back snow.[/red]

Well have you? I would like to hear an interesting story [u]as long as you feel 100% comfortable talking about the experience[/u]
IF you would not like to go into details, how about what conflict and when?

[b][red]Thanks, and I am[/red][white] posting this with the[/white] [blue]upmost respect for our veterans.[/blue][/b]

[usa]

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been married for 23 years, does that count? It's a Constant Conflict and I would not feel comfortable going into detail.[;D]

Seriously, I'm also interested in veterans' stories.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen a little on tv.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
What type of combat and on what scale?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

do you walk the walk,   [;)]

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Im interested in a good story too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have choked many a chicken in my day....

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I can go this far...

I have seen limited jungle warfare in South America.  I have been in minor urban conflicts in a counter-terror role.  I have also been in the middle of two drive-by shootings - a bystander (I haven't been "innocent" since I was six months old - I was just uninvolved except by presence.)

I am not at liberty to go into detail, as I would prefer not to reveal tactics that have been used successfully.

At our nation's behest, I have also been involved in "snatches" (what were in Vietnam called "Parakeet Ops" by the SEAL teams) - most would go off smoothly, some result in some heavily pitched (figure fire team vs. company-sized force) fighting.

Let me just say I know what it feels like to need your knife to loosen your asshole before it strangles you...

Is there anything specific?  I won't answer questions about tactical details, but feel free to email me with other questions...

I will also say that I know what it feels like to "come home short" - I have a small book with fifty-seven names, map co-ordinates with each name, and names of family members associated.  Someday, I hope to bring AT LEAST ONE of those men home...

FFZ
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in 1st Btln 8th marine regiment in desert storm. I was a 0331 machine gun section leader sergeant. On the evening of the first day of the ground assault, our armored personel carriers were in front of our tank support.This happened by accident why I do not know. We had 13 A-1 abrams in support. We approached a sand burm and 3 t-52's pulled out of sand trenches backing up to retreat.Nobody seen them until now. The word was given to disembark. We ran out the back and formed a 180 to the front of the armored carriers. Our tanks fired rounds into the t-52's. I will never forget this day.The tank turrent on one tank was hit and flew off. I am not a tank guy but that turrent just flipped off. The 3 tanks were destroyed in 30 seconds. I just remeber thinking of the horror of being inside that tank when it got hit. The explosions were not big except on one tank which ignited like a roman candle. I guess the magazine went off.

On another occasion I witnessed Iraqi bodies mingled with twisted metal. War is hell as the saying goes. My experience is not that of the storming of Normady but the fear was the same I am sure. If only the sheeple knew of the real terror.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in DIV. RECON(Marines)in Vietnam , mid 1965. Going out on patrols and operations which sometimes took incoming fire.

I had a Lt. go into a pungi pit in front of me, got it right in the hand and later a guy got a grenade in the back. He was lucky, it bounced from a high wooden fence first.

I stepped on an anti-personel mine which didn't go off. Very fortunate there!! This all happened in just one operation.

The patrols we were on were for ambushes at night.

I was more informed than any of my fellow marines cause I was the radio operator.
Used a PRC-10. I hated that thing, the batteries were as big as the transmitter.

I carried the M-14 and the .45, my radio and batteries plus my pack and of course ammo and grenades(frag and willy peter-white phorphorus).

I had a strong back then, I couldn't do it now.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in RVN from late '67 to early '70.  I spent most of 1968 in the field.  No need to go into any details but I have used an M-16 for the real business it was intended to be for.  It is a lot different than taking your AR out to the range.  I have also been on the receiving end of an AK and and a SKS. It is not the same as taking a Norinco toy out to the range on Saturday.

Combat cannot be explained, only experienced.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes.

US Army  '88-'92
"Gulf War"
D Co.  2/1 Avn 1AD. Attached to the 2nd ACR.

Left seat UH-60 Recieved fire/returned fire.

Scary.

Don't want to do it again, if I don't have to.

I will if the SHTF and I'm needed.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey...  That was post 223 for me...  Sweet...

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have choked many a chicken in my day....

Sgtar15
View Quote
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of TDY's in and out, Once at Cam Ranh I was there during mortar and missile attacks and a few wire checks.
But the worst Part of war (any war) was bringing back caskets stacked two high and six to a pallet having all pallet stations filled except the aft ramp of a C5A, my acft(690022) did that a few times, you will always remember the smell of death. I always checked the Load Master"s manifest to see if I had any friends on it, I stopped after finding my best friend form High school on one.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I once hurt a guys' feelings. (well, make that a couple of guys.)
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

do you walk the walk,   [;)]

View Quote

dont listen to cowboy, he thinks He's John Wayne.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Im a pacifist [:p]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was a good TV series. Vic Morrow was a good actor. I preferred the black and white version to the color version. [;D]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can go this far...

I have seen limited jungle warfare in South America.  I have been in minor urban conflicts in a counter-terror role.  I have also been in the middle of two drive-by shootings - a bystander (I haven't been "innocent" since I was six months old - I was just uninvolved except by presence.)

I am not at liberty to go into detail, as I would prefer not to reveal tactics that have been used successfully.

At our nation's behest, I have also been involved in "snatches" (what were in Vietnam called "Parakeet Ops" by the SEAL teams) - most would go off smoothly, some result in some heavily pitched (figure fire team vs. company-sized force) fighting.

Let me just say I know what it feels like to need your knife to loosen your asshole before it strangles you...

Is there anything specific?  I won't answer questions about tactical details, but feel free to email me with other questions...

I will also say that I know what it feels like to "come home short" - I have a small book with fifty-seven names, map co-ordinates with each name, and names of family members associated.  Someday, I hope to bring AT LEAST ONE of those men home...

FFZ
[email protected]
View Quote

DAMN...and I am sitting here worried about paying my cell phone bill. How fucking small am I...? Thanks to you and all in this thread for your service.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for some of you guys sharing your story. I missed "Nam but I've heard stories of Korea from my Dad who was in the thick of it. An example is approching a little old women in a village and then she exploded a bomb around the troops...He never was 100% after Korea...It made life intresting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Combat was good, so was The Rat Patrol!

[img]http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/images/first-day.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Any
View Quote

Well yes,lots of times.

The one I remember is not really thinking just acting until it was over and then the fear sets in,don't ask me way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
You vets have my thanks and my respect, as small as they may be.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can go this far...

FFZ
[email protected]
View Quote

Hey, FFZ:

I find your military service claims the last few days to be pretty outrageous, and do not believe that you have seen squat of combat, outside of your illustrious paintball and mall ninja careers.

I have served in Latin America for 18 years in SF and would like for you to "put up, or shut up".

I have lost several friends from the CCT and PJ community, and have several more who would be more than willing to pull a credentials check for you and send them your way if you prove to be a poser.

You and anyone else here who is claiming a bogus service record are spitting on the graves of those who have served honorably to defend you and your rights, whether as Airborne Ranger CIB wearers, or as cooks in peacetime.

Your claims are attracting attention elsewhere as well.  I recommend that if you are not qualified to make the claims you are making, that you back off and apologize.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Does being married count as combat?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does being married count as combat?
View Quote

Depends on the tooth-to-tattoo ratio of the cat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can go this far...

FFZ
[email protected]
View Quote

Hey, FFZ:

I find your military service claims the last few days to be pretty outrageous, and do not believe that you have seen squat of combat, outside of your illustrious paintball and mall ninja careers.

I have served in Latin America for 18 years in SF and would like for you to "put up, or shut up".

I have lost several friends from the CCT and PJ community, and have several more who would be more than willing to pull a credentials check for you and send them your way if you prove to be a poser.

You and anyone else here who is claiming a bogus service record are spitting on the graves of those who have served honorably to defend you and your rights, whether as Airborne Ranger CIB wearers, or as cooks in peacetime.

Your claims are attracting attention elsewhere as well.  I recommend that if you are not qualified to make the claims you are making, that you back off and apologize.
View Quote

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can go this far...

FFZ
[email protected]
View Quote

Hey, FFZ:

View Quote

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.
View Quote

You mean you don't already know?

Flame War time! As close to combat as I ever hope to get.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#33]
piccolo, Your sleeping with the enemy! But don't worry I'm doing it too, just watch them real close!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've rolled around with a few guys that just didn't want to be arrested peacefully.
View Quote

Same here. And had to kick in a few doors with my weapon drawn. That's serious pucker factor for a wet behind the ears rookie.

Hats off to those that have that have had to face the horrors of real combat. Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
FFZ,
I ran across this post of yours in another thread;
Hmm...

Y'ask me, I would say that there are wusses wearing all colour of uniform. F'rinstance - how much jogging can you do on a 688?

Then again, there are badasses in each colour as well. I was Air Farce. My unit did minimum 5-mile runs, two-mile swims, and a minimum of 2000 shots fired DAILY as practise - your excuse not to attend would be signed by me (as topkick. Essentially, that meant you were "on orders" and not home to play) or the County Coroner.

I spent two months in a wheelchair after a bad jump. I did five fast miles in the chair, did my range time, AND still found a way to do my swims.

Overkill? Probably was. We BLEW thru the annual "fun runs" with no trouble at all. Over-45's had the OPTION to walk if they wanted to, but usually didn't. I suppose the mentality was different then. I know we'd practise "fun runs" as three-man teams - two carrying the other. Good practise.

OK, we were the exception for the AF. Look around, there will be exceptions to the point you are trying to prove everywhere. Any unit that gets its marching orders from MacDill is a good example. SEAL Six/DEVGRP is another - they were the first unit to be completely expemted from the Federal Labour Relations Act, as nearly everything they did would have been prosecutable!

For those of you trying to make a point, please leave aside rumours and anecdotal evidence, and use something we can verify independently - it will make your point easier to accept when we can look up your evidence for ourselves...

FFZ
View Quote

Gotta agree with SF on this. You're full of shit. Put up or shut up.

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Something smells bad here.

As for my own record, I Jumped into Panama in 89, and was in desert Shield/Storm in 90-91.

I was 11B1p
Served in C co. 2/504th PIR, 82nd ABN from 88-92

Action I saw was not all that notable- pretty typical I assume- Bad guys, Good guys, Bullets and Bombs.  
I was only in panama for a couple of days, so I really was only in on the fighting during the Jump in and the following  morning.

I hot hit and they sent me home.

Gulf war for the most part was uneventful.  The few fights we did get into were nothing compared to those couple of days in December '89

Thanks to all who served- in peace or war.
To those who are smelling up the place Fuck you!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can go this far...

FFZ
[email protected]
View Quote

Hey, FFZ:

View Quote

SF,

Thanks for addressing this. I have never seen combat, but know to guys who were in your line of work during Vietnam, One Army, One navy. Neither one of them makes statements like this. Infact unless you knew what to look for or were trusted by them, you would never know what they did.

BTW, thank you for your service to our country, thanks for going when other would not, and doing what other won't. This goes for all the other vets who have posted.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Other objectives accomplished during the conflict, were patrols within the city to arrest PDF officers and neutralize snipers.

View Quote

Did you see any of those hueys with guys dropping grenades on rooftop snipers? That was bizzare!

We lost one guy from our batallion- Manriquez or something like that- didn't know him personally. They made a memorial to him in the chow hall officers dining room.

Those Spectre gunships tore some shit up eh?

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I wouldn't call it much in the way of combat, but at King Abdul Aziz air base in Dharan, Saudi Arabia we were hit with many SCUDS throughout the conflict. It was a bad ass sight to see a PATRIOT cruise by then shoot straight up nailing the incoming missle with a bright flash followed by a loud report. Many times the warhead would not detonate upon impact and would make it to the ground. One SCUD was clipped by a PATRIOT and landed very close, throwing the radar antenna out of balance and slightly damaging some electronics. I'll never forget the day that a SCUD hit the barracks in Dharan, we were making a water run to the main site (726 Tactical Control Squadron)when we heard it hit. We ran and took cover. Most SCUDs came in the middle of the night, this one came towards the end of the day, just before sunset as I recall. This one was the worst, we lost many of our own. God bless all, I'll never forget:o(
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Guess I'll have my little brother post here about his two tours in Nam ,Marine Corps 65-66!

No but wait you would have too put hot irons against his nuts to ever make he tell you one single thing about the two years he spent there!

I think this is what you will find in this post,even if you knew him very well,you would have had to been there to ever get him to talk about it!

Then I think not!   This may just be an outing post ,but I think you will find none that would discuses this here!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm afraid to jump in here,

Was in the US Army 11/83-11/86 got to Germany, 3-ID, and Ft Polk 5-ID. Also took a little jaunt to Honduras. Even saw some Rangers, and a couple of different SF types.

Never felt that I was in personal danger during all that time. Even though for part of it I was watching some nukes for Uncle Sam, close to the Com-bloc, and in a place in Honduras that "if there is a terrorist attack during this excercies it will be here" was the official word. Walking about with a whole bunch of Rangers, that WERE NOT carrying any ammo. Seemed to be a tempting target. Then again OLY, was packing an M-60 WITH ammo, and a clear understanding where the ammo point was.

Well except during my time in the mess hall. There were some scary people working there. One time (at band camp) two of the civilian employee dishwashers had a dispute about duties. Since it was a minor dispute, one of them pulled a knife, and stabbed the other. 703rd Maint Bn. mess hall.

That BN was something. Some of the soldiers stabbed a Lt. put him in a wall locker, and threw him out a 3rd story window. Then they went to the wall locker, found the Lt. still alive, carried the wall locker back upstairs, and threw it back out the window.

One time on CQ I get the call from the post MP's. "Hey we got a report of a gun shot around the corner, could you go check on that?" I'm not armed, NO. Guy was found gut shot in the parking lot. Another soldier shot him in a dispute about some drugs.

I agree with Wave, I have certainly done some rolling around with people that didn't want to be arrested. A few of those were certainly bad situations.

FFZ is he Blaze of Glory?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've rolled around with a few guys that just didn't want to be arrested peacefully.
View Quote

Same here. And had to kick in a few doors with my weapon drawn. That's serious pucker factor for a wet behind the ears rookie.

Hats off to those that have that have had to face the horrors of real combat. Thank you.
View Quote

Yep, I've been in the cop stuff too... Plenty O fights and scuffles, a few of which turned from the shit bag fighting to get away to fighting to hurt yours truly including 2 very motivated attacks on my weapon.

Taken fire from a woodlot, kinda "pinned down" (for lack of a better word) for about one or two minutes maybe (13-15 rounds, possibly .22 cal) with a 12" culvert and the banger I was frisking between me and whoever and never saw shit... Sucked. We had a nutcase woman pop off 4 .38s at us before she used the last one on herself.

Done a ton of hot search warrants including one that devolved into a no shit Mexican stand off with me and another Deputy screaming at a guy with a .357 at low ready when we entered the bedroom. That was a long minute or so.

Just a few of the times you could not have driven a 10 penny nail up my ass with a 10 pound sledge! [:)]

Not real combat... Thanks to those that have and will put themselves in the shit for us here in the land of the big PX. Military guys get BIG BREAKS with this LEO. Worked in Lee Co, Al just across the line from Columbus, GA so we dealt with the Ranger and Airborne guys who wanted to come sample a Southern college girl (the best kind BTW.). They were usually great and when they were not we went to lengths to keep things "off the books" and called First Sgts and such. I hope you guys are as glad to know we are keeping it cool at home as I am knowing  ya'll are off slaying dragons in far away lands!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#46]
This got me thinking about how different LE type shit and Military "Combat" really is. You guys who have "seen the elephant" you get much respect from me.

Of course then there are the obvious differences such as ya'll facing a trained, organized, HEAVILY armed opponent when we face a much reduced spectrum of threats. You guys have the air threat, arty threat, NBC threat, armor threat for Christ's sake, mines, snipers, etc...

Only when doing warrants do we generally know things could get tight, you guys generally know it going in every time. I remember the first time I stacked in the back of a U-Haul for a SW. Hell, I was nervous as shit. I cannot imagine being in the back of a C130, an AMTRAK, a Bradley, etc... We jump and knock it out. Ya'll have to keep it going.

Cop stuff is usually a surprise so you just act on your training, experience and inner resources and BAM, it is over. For me, the shakes or nerves and importantly, the exhaustion, comes after the poo poo hits it. A soldier has to keep that level of intensity and focus (or a higher level) for longer than I can even imagine. We get to ride the adrenaline more or less, you military guys have to have some MAJOR stamina, physically AND mentally to press the fight.

I do not think Cop stuff fits the word "combat." Didn't mean to hijack your thread M4.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Other than growing up on air bases and army posts as a kid on three continents, I have never been in the military, and would never claim to be, let alone claim a combat record. I know too many older friends and relatives who clam up when I ask about their war experiences. many are taking their experiences to their graves with them, untold.

One great-uncle, when I was a 9 yr.old kid, took me aside and told me in quite graphic detail (incl. letters, diary and photos) about how he had been a P-47 ground attack pilot in France and Germany after D-Day. During the push into Germany in early '45, he volunteered to attack a flak tower. He got shot down, and injured grievously, spending the rest of the war in a POW camp. The rest of his life was spent in pain, but he lived a full life in spite of it.

Years after he had told me about it all, at his funeral, I told his family about what he had told and showed me, and they sat there slack-jawed. "He never told us any of this stuff, but what you said is true; we have his service record from the Pentagon."

I'll still never know why he told me, and apparently nobody else.

He did say one thing to me that never left me, about combat veterans and the pain from their experiences that makes them so reticent:

"Those who know don't tell,
those who tell, don't know."

To all veterans, combat or otherwise, this civilian thanks you.

[USA]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Those who know don't tell,
those who tell, don't know."
[USA]
View Quote

I never quite understood the gist of this - I've heard similar quotes on several occasions.  

What pertinence would it have to everyone of the veterans who've recounted their experiences on the History Channel, written books, narrated movies, and newspaper interviews?

Do they all fall into the category of 'not knowing'?

I'm not too sure I entirely agree with that statement.
View Quote

I can't answer that. The vets in my family were all old school guys who didn't talk about feelings, and would have found it selfish and mawkish to do so. Crying was something they just didn't do - ever.

All I can say is what so many have told me that:

A) nobody can ever understand what we went through, unless they were there.

B) It's too painful to talk about-just verbalising it opens up the floodgates of horrible memories they have spent decades trying to keep at bay.

I had a friend growing up whose dad flew B-25's in WW2, where I don't know, but every time any kind of war footage or war TV show came on the TV, he'd have to leave the room - fast. I remember asking my friend about that, and he said, "We don't talk about that."

The guy drank a lot, too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I hurt a guy's feelings once.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top