Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2002 12:43:29 PM EDT

[b]Appeasement: The Global "Battered-Wife" Syndrome.[/b]

There is a sickness in wanting to get violent men to like you or speak well of you. Like weak-willed flunkies who do the bidding of tough-talking bullies in school, many submit to their bullying, subconsciously desiring approval from those who appear stronger than they. They gain self-esteem by siding with those who would otherwise speak and act harshly against them and, just like in the schoolyard, the enemy of the bully becomes the enemy of the flunkies - all for the approval of the bully. They fool themselves into thinking they have found a way to "tame the beast" and even go so far as to try to convince others that the bully isn't really a bad guy - you just have to do things HIS way and he won't pick on you.  

Much like the women who are attracted to vicious mass murders like Charles Manson or Richard Ramirez and become their groupies to gain their approval, they feel a sense of power in having such "violent killers" give them praise or attention. There's a dangerous thrill that goes with hanging with "bad-boys" that attracts those who need, due to their own weakness, a strong (even if it means violent) element in their life.

It's a form of the "battered wife" syndrome. The harsh and hateful words and actions of the abuser are not a cause for acting outwardly in self-defense but for acting to do anything to appease the abuser and calm the storm. Confronting the abuser is unconscionable - that would only antagonize the abuser more.

Running through the "bully", "bad-boy" and "wife-beater" analogies are two common themes: 1) rationalizing one's capitulation to the antagonizer for the sake of one's own immediate safety and to gain their approval, and 2) defending the antagonizer to gain his favor - even to the point of irrational and dangerous ends. In short, it's a form of co-dependancy.

Co-dependency is a psychological illness that is being played out, not just on an interpersonal level, but on a global level too. It's not just individuals who are susceptible to this form of brainwashing, but masses of people, organizations and even nations. It's "The Global Battered-Wife Syndrome".

It's a form of co-dependency that's afflicting many within our own nation. It seems the entire city of Berkeley, for example, must be filled with ex-high school flunkies and bad-boy groupies who swoon to the defense of the Islamofascists who spew anti-American hatred. To gain the approval of these radical terrorists who might otherwise ram a fuel-laden 747 into the center of the UC Berkeley campus, and to reinforce their own deep-seated animosity for the archetypical authority figurehead represented by the United States of America, many of these "free-thinking" defenders of radical Islam ape the chants and causes of these terrorist leaders and groups who, if ever given a chance to, would shut down every co-ed dorm, indie-movie house, headshop and New-Age emporium in the entire city faster than you can say "Allah Kazaam". But for these "progressive" liberals, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Many of them genuinely hate America due to their own "authority-figure issues" (I'll discuss that one another time), but many more are simply weak-willed, freightened, capitulating, "bad-boy"-followers.

And this co-dependancy has also afflicted much of the United Nations as they, once again, try to placate and co-exist with terrorists like Saddam Hussein who has, for years, wrought enormous death and destruction to his own people as well as neighboring nations and is now on the verge of adding nuclear/biological weapons to his arsenal (if he hasn't already). But it would be too antagonistic for the beaten-down United Nations to confront the bully straight up - so appeasement and "conflict-resolution" win the day. With the UN weapons inspectors in Iraq right now, we're in the "Gee, honey I'm sorry and I'll never hit you again" phase of this sick psychological cycle of dictatorial abuse and international co-dependant enabling. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt - it sure runs wide in the UN too.

And so the large contingent of freightened, co-dependant left-wing enablers within our country as well as in the UN continue to capitulate, rationalize and even rally and defend the cause of terrorists who've repeatedly targetted and massacred thousands of American civilians and who still publicly call on all Muslims to "kill Americans" and call for more WTC-style attacks on America - just as a beaten and bloodied wife will continue to excuse and defend her knuckle-bruised man before the police saying, "Don't arrest him - it was my fault, I had it coming".

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you plaigerize that from Mac? It is pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where did you plaigerize that from Mac? It is pretty good.
View Quote

"Plagiarize"?!? Them's fighting words![stick]

It's actually a Cut&Paste.

I [b]Cut[/b] it off my text editor (right after I wrote it) and [b]Pasted[/b] it into onto this page. [;)]

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You ought to flesh this out with a couple three more paragraphs and submit it to Ron Moody over at [url]www.strike-the-root.com[/url]

It is good enough to see daylight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You ought to flesh this out with a couple three more paragraphs and submit it to Ron Moody over at [url]www.strike-the-root.com[/url]

It is good enough to see daylight.
View Quote

Thanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top