Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:30:53 AM EDT
Sorry Akron, OH hasn't been the Rubber Capital of the World since the 70's, and I'm not going to yell, "Go Rubber Duckies!!!"

Akron minor leauge baseball team changes name to the Rubber Ducks.

It's sad, I remember catching Canton/Akron Indians games at Thurman Munson Stadium.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Everything else pales to the Zips!

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thurman Munson is my hero.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It is sad really. Last week they announced the name of our new AAA team was going to be the Chihuahuas and our local news was full of similar articles trying to justify the derp. I guess they believe that the only people who want to go to minor league baseball games are 3 year olds. I truly liked our old teams nickname which was Diablos (spanish for devils for those that don't habla). We had that name for almost 40 years while the team and our city changed minor league baseball into the business it is today. I grew up on the name and to me it still sounds cool and honored the Hispanic culture of our city. Chihuahuas makes this city sound like a bunch of gay beaners. I really do feel your pain.

FWIW I remember when they used to have nickel beer night, one time they made the mistake of having it coincide with bat night... hilarity ensued!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for day shift.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Checking in, lived on 45th street in North Industry.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is sad really. Last week they announced the name of our new AAA team was going to be the Chihuahuas and our local news was full of similar articles trying to justify the derp. I guess they believe that the only people who want to go to minor league baseball games are 3 year olds. I truly liked our old teams nickname which was Diablos (spanish for devils for those that don't habla). We had that name for almost 40 years while the team and our city changed minor league baseball into the business it is today. I grew up on the name and to me it still sounds cool and honored the Hispanic culture of our city. Chihuahuas makes this city sound like a bunch of gay beaners. I really do feel your pain.

FWIW I remember when they used to have nickel beer night, one time they made the mistake of having it coincide with bat night... hilarity ensued!!
View Quote

When the OKC team changed from the 89ers to the Redhawks I was sad... I can't imagine having Chihuahuas or Rubber Duckies...
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Checking in, lived on 45th street in North Industry.  
View Quote

Grew up off of Staeger St. between Kelly Ave., S. Arlington St., and Triplett Blvd.  We used to walk to The Corral and Little Nemo's Submarine Sandwiches. Strickland's was a summer treat, and in October my brother and I couldn't wait to go to the Haunted Schoolhouse, and the Haunted Laboratory.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#10]
What else is new in Crackron?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top