Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 5:11:17 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with Surefire Sonic Defenders?

I'm looking at these to use while hunting, but I'm a bit confused by the wording in the ad. Will they block loud noise (firearm) while allowing me to hear normally?

I read this: "Their double-flanged-stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates a special noise-reducing filter."

And then I read this which makes me think they're just fancy earplugs:"EP3s include attached filter caps, which can be inserted for additional protection and blocking out lower-level noise, like that heard on a plane, where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical."

"NOTE: EP3 earpiece will not provide hearing protection if the noise-reducing filter is removed."

"24dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) with filter caps inserted"

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I'm looking at these to use while hunting, but I'm a bit confused by the wording in the ad. Will they block loud noise (firearm) while allowing me to hear normally?

I read this: "Their double-flanged-stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates a special noise-reducing filter."

And then I read this which makes me think they're just fancy earplugs:"EP3s include attached filter caps, which can be inserted for additional protection and blocking out lower-level noise, like that heard on a plane, where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical."

"NOTE: EP3 earpiece will not provide hearing protection if the noise-reducing filter is removed."

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well WTF?

That's almost false advertising. If I hadn't closely read the description on the Surefire website, I would have been pissed with my new $20 ear plugs from Natchez!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
What it boils down to is they're just plugs.
I use them but always leave the valve closed.
They fit well, are washable and reusable and very low profile.
They have some other features like being compatible with radio earpieces.

I like mine, look for them on sale around $10-$15.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  I have a few pairs, like them, they're pretty comfortable and durable.  That's what I usually wear, but in the end they are just fancy earplugs.

I think i paid like 10 or 12 bucks for mine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Really like them. They are durable and work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the foamy ones for my job. They block out most of the annoying hissing from the leaky airlines in the plant, the near constant whine of pencil grinders and other air tools, but do allow for me to hear most conversations. Regular foam earplugs make hearing normal convos difficult.

They are expensive, but worth it, IMO
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty earplugs is all they are. They work well. My ears don't hurt after shooting and I can hear conversations going on around me with the plugs in. I keep the baffles closed all of the time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I use them sometimes when shooting supersonic bullets through a suppressor.  I leave the caps open.  I can hear fainter sounds while getting rid of the action noise and ballistic crack.

They are way too loud shooting non-suppressed rounds with the caps open, and just like regular ear plugs with the caps in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried several times to like them, they hurt my ears. Foamies work much better for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

There work great under active heaing protection (ComTac, etc.).

I would never consider wearing them alone on a firing line.

As for hunting, I just deal with the single shot as I've spent weeks out there without having a shot at anything.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them at work and think they are awesome.  They block out loud noises but allow you to talk normally.   I wouldn't say they allow you to hear normally.

Buy some electronic ear muffs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
On sale at primary arms for Halloween. 6.99. Code ep3m. I ordered 4 sets, my first did great until i forgot them at a shoot. Glorified earplugs, but last longer and easy to pop in and out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I feel kind of silly thinking they were like an electronic earplug without the electronics, but they were sort of presented that way. It did say "revolutionary new design...Hock proprietary filter...blah, blah blah."

I was looking to replace an old Walker Game Ear + ear plug in my other ear combo. I guess I'll keep searching for the perfect product.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a box free at a shoot I went too. Surefire was there and when they were loading up they had a few left over boxes, told me I could have one. I love them, but I use them with my Howard Leight's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Without the filter caps inserted, auditory acuity is not what it would be without protection whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]
i have had then 2 years i think... out side great... indoors suck..

flap open, u can hers "ok".. loud bags are good...

flap close, its the same as a normal plug...

flap open inside suck.. close, ok...

they do work as advertised... comfy as well
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair. For me they are comfortable at first, but after say about 30 minutes of use, they start to hurt my ears and I have to keep taking them out and putthing them back in, to make it comfortable to wear again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, possibly look at Etymotic plugs. Intended for concerts, so doesn't wash everything out during noise reduction.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As for hunting, I just deal with the single shot as I've spent weeks out there without having a shot at anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used them like that for a few years now
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#20]
No indoor ranges around here.

For the most part, they'll let you hear voice levels with them in with the flap open, but block out the higher decibels.

With the flaps shut, they're like normal plugs, but way more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I use them, caps open and muffs on over them at the range. They are good by themselves for hunting with the caps open( use them hunting pigs).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Take this from a guy who deals with industrial hygiene stuff for a living:

1.  24db NRR is shitty for a pair of earplugs.  You can find $.10 ones that have over 30db.

2.  24db is the absolute MAX in lab testing assuming 100% fit.  You'll most likely get something around 8-10db depending on if you know how to insert and wear them properly.

3.  When you firearm is pumping out 120-130db every shot...you need something more IMHO.  You don't need to "hear" the gunshot and have ringing in your ears to damage your hearing.  

If you want those though...go for it.  To each their own.  My advice would be to get a good pair of ear muffs to go with them.  It's very strange, to me at least, that people are willing to shell out big bucks for firearms yet they cheap out when it comes to their own personal safety.  Thousands of guns, tens of thousands of rounds...ONE pair of ears.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  Never understood it myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top