Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/28/2013 1:49:47 PM EDT
Maybe it is because my wife and I don't have kids, it just doesn't seem like all the fun things like festivals, hay rides, corn mazes, haunted houses, parties etc... are done with the same effort they use to be.  Maybe I am wrong, it can't possibly be because I am growing up,I jumped off that train when I was 12.  Anyone else think Halloween has become lame?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Growing up sucks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything has become lame.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
people just dont care. look around. no one really cares about anything. they just trudge on through the sewer that is life until they are the ones flushed down the shitter. words to live by.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
my kids still enjoy it
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Most definitely this...........

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Growing up sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Many parents don't allow their kids out trick or treating anymore. Or only during the early daylight hours. Or around businesses.

Shit, when I was a kid our neighborhood would be trick or treating from 3pm until after 10pm and everyone still had all their lights on and giving out candy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
people just dont care. look around. no one really cares about anything. they just trudge on through the sewer that is life until they are the ones flushed down the shitter. words to live by.
View Quote

You have to be a fun guy to hang around
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Being without kids ourselves we also lack the proper lens to appreciate holidays like Halloween. I say the same thing every major holiday... "it doesn't feel like -fill the blank-, does it?"

Then again my coworkers and employees with kids seem to echo the "meh" sentiment lately.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree. None of the holidays seem as special anymore. Not just because I'm getting older, but it seems as a society there is no emphasis on the holidays beyond the commercial.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny you mentioned that. I don't have kids either and have it felt like the holidays haven't been much fun lately. I think next year I'm going to look into volunteering for local festivals or church activities. They do things at the local fire station and some other entities.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Holidays are what you make them.

I don't ever do much for Halloween. Usually dress up a little for work, squeal over the handful of trick or treaters we get, and spend the rest of the night relaxing with my honey. Doesn't have to be more than that, for me.

When I was a kid it was a magical night. Fucking magical. It was before people put razorblades in candy bars and poisoned homemade cookies.

I think part of it is just that the magic leaves along with the imagination. *shrugs*
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree. None of the holidays seem as special anymore. Not just because I'm getting older, but it seems as a society there is no emphasis on the holidays beyond the commercial.

View Quote

I have to agree, even Christmas is becoming about getting people stuff, I love giving gifts but what happened to driving around looking at Christmas lights, Christmas block parties, caroling, sleigh rides, hell even going to the mall was fun due to all the cool Christmas decorations.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
When some stores have removed the halloween shit in favor of the xmas bullshit around here ya it is lame.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't do anything this year.  Basically no parties to go to, so no real reason to go thru all the effort of coming up with a costume.  Was going to hit one of the local haunted houses but got lazy & sat home drinking beer instead...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Growing up sucks.
View Quote

On some aspects, yes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously I need a drink and some SSRI's after reading that
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The fuck?

I spent Saturday night dressed as a woman, and slammed drinks for 6 hours at a concert and then bars.

Halloween rocks.

I had women grab my junk constantly.  I'm hoping for Round 2 on the 31st.

And that's not bragging.  I'm ugly with or without a skirt on.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't ever do much for Halloween. Usually dress up a little for work, squeal over the handful of trick or treaters we get, and spend the rest of the night relaxing with my honey. Doesn't have to be more than that, for me.

When I was a kid it was a magical night. Fucking magical. It was before people put razorblades in candy bars and poisoned homemade cookies.

I think part of it is just that the magic leaves along with the imagination. *shrugs*
View Quote

Everything was before that happened.....because it was never a big thing.     I bet we're within 5 or 6 years of being the same age, and trust me, I heard all about that stuff from my parents who were absolutely NUTS about checking every blessed piece of candy before I could eat it, because they heard from so-and-so that people put blades, pills and all sorts of deadly things in Halloween candy, but all in all, it was a made-up calamity. (Thankfully)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/GreatPumpkin.jpg/220px-GreatPumpkin.jpg
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
View Quote

I missed it this year.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The fuck?

I spent Saturday night dressed as a woman, and slammed drinks for 6 hours at a concert and then bars.

Halloween rocks.

View Quote

Pics? Well......no, nevermind.

Ahhh, fuck it. Pics.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I never liked Halloween.  Even as a kid.  I stopped trick or treating when I was 12.  Call me the Grinch or Scrooge - Halloween is a humbug.

I'm starting to see more and more Halloween lights popping up on my neighbors' homes.  No sign of any drop in enthusiasm here.  It vexes me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I am not much for adult halloween parties.

But I still like the holiday, this is my favorite season.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Growing up sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate the faggots that make Halloween on Saturday.

Listen up, buttercup, Halloween is on THURSDAY. FUCK YOU it sucks, but DEAL WITH IT. Learn to wait YEARS for those few prime Friday/Saturday Halloweens. It's CALLED LIFE - AND IT AIN'T FAIR! AND IF I SEE YOU COME TO MY BLOCK IN A GOLF CART OR MINIVAN, I'M TAXING YOUR TURD BURGLARING ASS!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Halloween is awesome.

My wife made our costumes this year, and we're going to see one of my favorite bands play a show that night.  Then we're gonna follow it up with more drinking and partying with some friends.

And I get to walk around downtown Denver dressed like Khal Drogo.  Chicks love Khal Drogo.  Win/win.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Everything was before that happened.....because it was never a big thing.     I bet we're within 5 or 6 years of being the same age, and trust me, I heard all about that stuff from my parents who were absolutely NUTS about checking every blessed piece of candy before I could eat it, because they heard from so-and-so that people put blades, pills and all sorts of deadly things in Halloween candy, but all in all, it was a made-up calamity. (Thankfully)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but now everybody shits their pants and won't let their kids out of the house. If you offer cookies to kids you get this
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I missed it this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/GreatPumpkin.jpg/220px-GreatPumpkin.jpg

I missed it this year.

I didn't even see it advertised!  WTF...no Halloween specials, every year I looked forward to the animated Halloween specials, even in my mid twenties I would watch them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I love Halloween! I dress up every year and have been to two Halloween parties already. I also have a large Halloween tree in my livingroom along with other decor. Holidays are all in what you make of it :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#31]
when ever the big money gets involved the event / holiday is usually spoiled. Most of these haunted houses are $20 pp to walk through and the parents buy the kids bags of candy all year long and they don't have to hike 10 miles for it.

I used to drop a softball in my pillow case to trick or treat - many fond memories of defending the candy against the older kids.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I've always loved Halloween,as a kid it was double awesome as I was born on Halloween night.My mom was dressed as a nurse and my dad was a werewolf when she went into labor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much this, for me personally anyway.

However, as a parent of 2 girls, one 14 and the other 5, Halloween, (and holidays in general), are a lot of fucking work and expensive!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have to agree, even Christmas is becoming about getting people stuff, I love giving gifts but what happened to driving around looking at Christmas lights, Christmas block parties, caroling, sleigh rides, hell even going to the mall was fun due to all the cool Christmas decorations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, the Christmas lights aren't going to come to you. Get off your ass and go look at them.
We go out every year looking at the lights. I'll soon be 51 and I still love going out to look at the lights.You can't just sit and stew in your own juices and say "this sucks".

I still enjoy handing out Halloween Candy. I'm beginning to think that you're suffering from Debbie Downer Syndrome.
Open a good beer, or other adult beverage of your choice. Fire up a nice cigar if you're so inclined. Loosen up a bit and enjoy life.

If Fatalwishes's thread doesn't teach us anything else, dammit we all better learn to get a little more enjoyment from life.
It can be snatched away in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]
It isn't the same as it was when we were kids. Just one example, when we were kids there were no DVD,s. we got to see the great pumpkin Charlie brown once a year and if we missed it that was too bad. Now kids all have the DVD and can watch it any time they want. It just isn't special any more when you can do that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#36]
This was my practice run for this year's makeup.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Ahhh, fuck it. Pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?

Halloween rocks.

Ahhh, fuck it. Pics.

It was a 90s cover band show, hence the shirt.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Oooooh! I love it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dude, the Christmas lights aren't going to come to you. Get off your ass and go look at them.
We go out every year looking at the lights. I'll soon be 51 and I still love going out to look at the lights.You can't just sit and stew in your own juices and say "this sucks".

I still enjoy handing out Halloween Candy. I'm beginning to think that you're suffering from Debbie Downer Syndrome.
Open a good beer, or other adult beverage of your choice. Fire up a nice cigar if you're so inclined. Loosen up a bit and enjoy life.

If Fatalwishes's thread doesn't teach us anything else, dammit we all better learn to get a little more enjoyment from life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove three hours to see what was suppose to be epic Christmas lights last year.  The malls were lame, peoples Christmas decorations were lame, very few cool things like ice skating, or sleigh rides.  My wife and I were travel nurse last year and were in a hotel... I put Christmas lights and a tree up in our hotel.   I am just making an observation that things have become less about the season and more about material things.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/8141/j5fz.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fuck?

Halloween rocks.

Ahhh, fuck it. Pics.

Were you the offspring of Kurt Cobain and Goldilocks?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Op do you have friends to hang out with on holloween? It could make it better.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

I never had you figured for a Juggalo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fuck?

Halloween rocks.

Ahhh, fuck it. Pics.

Haha.

I didn't realize that the hate for Courtney Love is still strong.  There were some hardcore Nirvana fans that thought I was dressed up as her and they were yelling, "You killed Kurt, you whore."
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh, now you've gone it. I must kill you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Death by snu snu?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keed,I keed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I keed,I keed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keed,I keed.

Too late. Bloody Vag Filth and Shit Stained Mortal Coil are on their way to your house to bust a cap in your ass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had a big long rant typed out but I changed my mind. Readers digest:

Getting old sucks
Its what you make of it
I blame the churches and "trunk or treat" (no bashing, just honest opinion)
Make it awesome for your kids, if you have them, regardless of what the world around you is doing.

Actually. Do that last thing for everything involving your kids.
View Quote

The whole "Trunk or treat" thing is pretty lame,it's like a bullet button on an AR.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The whole "Trunk or treat" thing is pretty lame,it's like a bullet button on an AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a big long rant typed out but I changed my mind. Readers digest:

Getting old sucks
Its what you make of it
I blame the churches and "trunk or treat" (no bashing, just honest opinion)
Make it awesome for your kids, if you have them, regardless of what the world around you is doing.

Actually. Do that last thing for everything involving your kids.

I have seen a few "Happy Hallelujah signs outside the churches"

Our church used to  have an actual halloween party.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top