Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 3:20:22 AM EDT
Wow.  Just wow.

http://news.yahoo.com/fears-brat-ocracy-child-centred-sweden-032211025.html

Stockholm (AFP) - Sweden had a head start in the good parenting debate as the first country to outlaw smacking but some argue that its child-centered approach has gone too far and children now rule the roost.

"In some ways Swedish kids are really ill-mannered," David Eberhard, a leading psychiatrist and father of six, told AFP.

"Of course you should listen to your children but in Sweden it's gone too far. They tend to decide everything in families: when to go to bed, what to eat, where to go on vacation, even what to watch on television," he said, adding that the permissive approach to child-raising leaves young Swedes ill-equipped for adulthood.

"Their expectations are too high and life is too hard for them. We see it with anxiety disorders and self harming which has risen dramatically."

"Two boys were swearing at each other -- I didn't think 7-year-olds even knew words like that -- and when I tried to intervene they swore at me and told me to mind my own business," said Ola Olofsson, a journalist at a southern Swedish newspaper, describing a visit to his 7-year-old daughter's classroom.

When he wrote a column about the chaos he witnessed at the school, the paper's website was inundated with hundreds of comments from exasperated parents and teachers.

One preschool teacher from Stockholm wrote that the 4- and 5-year-olds she teaches regularly say "You think I care!" when asked to do something.

"Just the other day a 4-year-old spat at me when I asked him to stop climbing on some shelves," she added.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Ola Olofsson
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
So I'm thinking..."Boy, go cut me a switch" would not go over well there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
In Nanny State Sweden, child raise YOU!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
All this stupid modern crap is going to come full circle and they'll start publishing studies showing that providing consistent unambiguous firm guidance is what's best  for kids.    Unfortunately it will happen after we raise an entire generation of self centered emotionally immature brats.   Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow.  Just wow.

http://news.yahoo.com/fears-brat-ocracy-child-centred-sweden-032211025.html

Stockholm (AFP) - Sweden had a head start in the good parenting debate as the first country to outlaw smacking but some argue that its child-centered approach has gone too far and children now rule the roost.

"In some ways Swedish kids are really ill-mannered," David Eberhard, a leading psychiatrist and father of six, told AFP.

"Of course you should listen to your children but in Sweden it's gone too far. They tend to decide everything in families: when to go to bed, what to eat, where to go on vacation, even what to watch on television," he said, adding that the permissive approach to child-raising leaves young Swedes ill-equipped for adulthood.

"Their expectations are too high and life is too hard for them. We see it with anxiety disorders and self harming which has risen dramatically."

"Two boys were swearing at each other -- I didn't think 7-year-olds even knew words like that -- and when I tried to intervene they swore at me and told me to mind my own business," said Ola Olofsson, a journalist at a southern Swedish newspaper, describing a visit to his 7-year-old daughter's classroom.

When he wrote a column about the chaos he witnessed at the school, the paper's website was inundated with hundreds of comments from exasperated parents and teachers.

One preschool teacher from Stockholm wrote that the 4- and 5-year-olds she teaches regularly say "You think I care!" when asked to do something.

"Just the other day a 4-year-old spat at me when I asked him to stop climbing on some shelves," she added.

View Quote

Suddenly it all becomes clear. "Bad Attitude" Barracas, indeed

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Start slapping the shit out of those kids and they'll come around.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You know I immediately thought of him. Maybe I should send him a link.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Happiness=Reality-Expectations

Hence the suicide rate.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, you should...............In before the Swede

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]
We see it here in the traditional Hispanic cultures where the male child is being raised in a house where the sperm donor lacks the maturity to accept the responsibility of being a father.

The disintegration of the family will be the down fall of western society.  It is time that Men learn to take their role in the family seriously.  The welfare state has replaced the father and I believe it to be a major cause of the problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:03:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweden is also the only country in Northern Europe that wasn't invaded by the Nazis.

Coincidence?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Sweden is the prime example of how multiculturalism fully destroys a country
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All this stupid modern crap is going to come full circle and they'll start publishing studies showing that providing consistent unambiguous firm guidance is what's best  for kids.    Unfortunately it will happen after we raise an entire generation of self centered emotionally immature brats.   Oh, wait...
View Quote

This.

Especially that.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not against hand to ass treatment for any kids. I got my ass beat like it was some sort of competition back in the day and I know the value of a stinging ass, hurt feelings. But this story is just more lame excuses. You don't have to lose control over your kids because your not hitting them. My daughter has never given me a reason to spank her and she doesn't act like the kids described.

The author of the story claims the kids rule the roost, setting bed times, where to vacation, etc. Bullshit. I don't need to hit a kid to lock their ass in a dark bedroom, alone, with no tv or toys. I control the fuse box, not them.   Kids not acting right, they DONT go on vacation. They sit their asses at home while the rest of the family goes. Just because the state passes a stupid over reaching law for man doesn't mean you completely abandon any discipline on your kids. Thats frickin stupid and childish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Happiness=Reality-Expectations

Hence the suicide rate.
View Quote

lol

The US has a higher suicide rate than Sweden does.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sweden is also the only country in Northern Europe that wasn't invaded by the Nazis.

Coincidence?
View Quote

I've seen Norwegian and Danish families. They're no better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hardly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not against hand to ass treatment for any kids. I got my ass beat like it was some sort of competition back in the day and I know the value of a stinging ass, hurt feelings. But this story is just more lame excuses. You don't have to lose control over your kids because your not hitting them. My daughter has never given me a reason to spank her and she doesn't act like the kids described.

The author of the story claims the kids rule the roost, setting bed times, where to vacation, etc. Bullshit. I don't need to hit a kid to lock their ass in a dark bedroom, alone, with no tv or toys. I control the fuse box, not them.   Kids not acting right, they DONT go on vacation. They sit their asses at home while the rest of the family goes. Just because the state passes a stupid over reaching law for man doesn't mean you completely abandon any discipline on your kids. Thats frickin stupid and childish.
View Quote

Agreed, the story is mostly bullshit. Most parents, my own included, do just fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Everything old is new again.
Throughout the latter part if the 19th century and up through the fall of the iron curtain, tsarist Russia and the ussr swung wildly between lettin the kids rule the home and parents bein rather oppressive. Doctrine seemed to change about every 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The disintegration of the family will be the down fall of western society.  It is time that Men learn to take their role in the family seriously.

The welfare state has replaced the father and I believe it to be a major cause of the problem.
View Quote

All according to the plan. The liberals want the government to replace the family as the disciplinarian and decision maker. Some of them will deny it when asked but as you work through what their programs do it's obvious. Make the father obsolete and tell 5 year olds their opinion is just as important as their mom's. Only government has the power to tell you what to do. Not god or parents.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Bullshit to this story. You don't need to lay a hand on your kid to teach them respect and how to act.

Yes, a spanking maybe in order, but it is just one tool in the chest. An adult should be able to leverage much better psychological actions on a 7yo than a spanking will deliver.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hardly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly.

Just some things to ponder

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Coincidence?

But you don't see stories about them. At least they have shame.

Sweden: Land of shameless blonde tarts running around in need of a spanking.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardly.

http://static.ylilauta.org/files/fj/orig/136884463185920.jpg/1348593777412412.jpg

Go back to 4Chan.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

IBS
View Quote

Irritable Bowel Syndrome?  

thats a strange comment on Swedish child rearing

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly.

http://static.ylilauta.org/files/fj/orig/136884463185920.jpg/1348593777412412.jpg

lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sweden: Land of shameless blonde tarts running around in need of a spanking.

View Quote

I'm doing my best to discipline blondes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Swede1986 is definitely a special snowflake and rejects your bigotry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I was going to say In Before sweden denies everything but I see I'm late
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Swede1986 is definitely a special snowflake and rejects your bigotry.
View Quote

I see that my personal forum stalker has showed up. Welcome.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was going to say In Before sweden denies everything but I see I'm late
View Quote

I only deny BS (which is all that's posted in GD anymore).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thousands of years of families brought up right shot all to hell with one generation.
View Quote

Not really. The people in the article are not the norm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bullshit to this story. You don't need to lay a hand on your kid to teach them respect and how to act.

Yes, a spanking maybe in order, but it is just one tool in the chest. An adult should be able to leverage much better psychological actions on a 7yo than a spanking will deliver.
View Quote

Damned right!

That's why they make cattle prods and bull whips
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thousands of years of families brought up right shot all to hell with one generation.

I guess I have to bow to your superior post count, sweden

For now.

For now.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to go ahead and guess that:

1. This article probably does a shit job of reflecting the reality on the ground in Sweden (sound familiar?)

and...

2. Our resident Swede will tell us how. With style.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#39]
LOL this is becoming trans-Atlantic feud. Now we got Canucks joining in.

When I saw this article I immediately thought about GD. I am not disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

For now.

For now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For now.

For now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

Never give up, never surrender.  It only encourages the swedes/aliens

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top