Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 5:05:32 PM EDT
Just wondering if you guys who have flown a lot with handguns in checked baggage have experienced extra delays, checks, or lost baggage due to the handgun?  I'm versed in how to properly store them and ammo to meet TSA requirements, no problem there.  I'm flying to Florida this week, which does honor VA CCW permits so I would like to take my daily CCW along.   However, if some of the items in my checked baggage do not arrive with me on time, I am going to be in a real bind for the event I am attending.  One layover and plane change in Atlanta.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If your bag ends missing find someone in charge and them if they do not provide your bag with all its contents in 87 minutes you will call the FBI to inform them there is an unsecured firearm, with ammo in the secured part of the airport.

But before you do that, please create a thread on ARFCOM so we know to turn on FOX News.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I do it every trip, never had any problems.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I travel a few times per year with my handgun.  Never any issues.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I"m just impressed OP knows the difference between "lose" and "loose."
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had delays at airports that require additional bag screening for bags with guns, but no issues and its normally not a long wait.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I had American 'lose' my TRG-42 338LM one time (came on the next flight, but nobody knew that) and my Savage LE2b 308 on another flight (lost in the oversized baggage room.)

You would think that with a firearm being checked as luggage, they'd be a bit more attentive, but no.

I've probably flown a dozen times with handguns and rifles and 10 out of 12 times, things were fine.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had American 'lose' my TRG-42 338LM one time (came on the next flight, but nobody knew that) and my Savage LE2b 308 on another flight (lost in the oversized baggage room.)

You would think that with a firearm being checked as luggage, they'd be a bit more attentive, but no.

I've probably flown a dozen times with handguns and rifles and 10 out of 12 times, things were fine.

Chris
View Quote

Well, the baggage handlers don't have any way of knowing that a given bag has a firearm in it, now do they?  Sealed up with the info card on the inside of the bag or case, there's not supposed to be any visual identification of a weapon.  Granted that a 36" Storm case with Surefire and H&K stickers on it is a bit of a giveaway, they're still going to lose things through simple screwups.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
With all the thefts from TSA and baggage handlers and who ever else behind the scenes of the airport, I would think firearms would get "lost" more frequent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
They "lost" my baggage one time and it happened to have my pistol in it. As soon as I notified the airline company they made sure to find it and even delivered it to my door the same day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With all the thefts from TSA and baggage handlers and who ever else behind the scenes of the airport, I would think firearms would get "lost" more frequent.
View Quote

I would think this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
No problems in my experience.  For added insurance I place one of my iPhones in the suitcase and track it on my other phone using the find my iPhone app.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
In my experience, oversized luggage (not necessarily guns) seems to get "lost" occasionally, probably just due to it being handled a little differently.  But I've put a pistol in a small hard-case, inside my suitcase, for a few trips and never had a problem.  Just make sure you show up a little early in case you have to take it over to a secondary location for swabbing or something.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had airlines hold a connecting flight for me after informing the gate agent that there is a declared firearm in my checked bag.  More than once.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
has anyone every checked just a pistol before? I usually fly with just a carry on and no checked baggage. Anyone ever just checked a pelican case with the handgun, mags, ammo, holster, ect in it instead of inside of a suitcase?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

has anyone every checked just a pistol before? I usually fly with just a carry on and no checked baggage. Anyone ever just checked a pelican case with the handgun, mags, ammo, holster, ect in it instead of inside of a suitcase?
View Quote
Can you stuff the case inside a cheap backpack or something?  I'd be leery of just sending the pelican case.  Not that there's anything wrong with doing it, but it just seems too obvious.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you stuff the case inside a cheap backpack or something?  I'd be leery of just sending the pelican case.  Not that there's anything wrong with doing it, but it just seems too obvious.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When i go abouts flying, i keep my rifles in pelican cases. Sometimes i would have to retrive my cases at the oversized luggage counter which sometimes can take an extra half hour. I have no experiance with just hand guns going thru in my luggage as i throw the hand guns in with the rifles
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats what I normally do. But I'm just going to be doing some personal travel soon, no hunting or shooting,  the woman I'm going with and I want to bring out carry pieces.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
You  people  that  send  any  guns  through  an  area  that  the  criminal  street  gang  TSA  controls , are  BEGGING  to  be  relieved  of  your  property .
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Chicago O'Hare had a big problem with handguns being "lost" from luggage and nothing done about it until one was stolen from a cop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I have tracked over a dozen times with mine have had no issues I am am just glad they let me check it because I carry a glock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You  people  that  send  any  guns  through  an  area  that  the  criminal  street  gang  TSA  controls , are  BEGGING  to  be  relieved  of  your  property .
View Quote

Yep.

The TSA can take anything they want with no consequences at all. If at all possible, just drive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep.

The TSA can take anything they want with no consequences at all. If at all possible, just drive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

The TSA are only the gate keepers.  Baggage is handled by the airline and its employees.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
They are not lost they are stolen. I found an easy solution is if I am traveling with a handgun it travels in a rifle case . Much harder to steal and so far not stolen
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I put mine in a double padlocked Pelican case, then throw that in a duffel bag with a TSA lock on it. I think sending it just in a case, especially if you have any sort of stickers or markings to denote whats in it is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I've flown many times.  I've flown with a pistol two or three times.  Of the many times I've flown, my luggage was lost once.  Well, not really lost, they knew exactly where it was, it just went to the wrong airport.  That one time my luggage was lost, it did not contain a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#27]
It happened to me.  My large suitcase with a gun inside never came off the conveyor in Boston.  That wasn't fun.

Another time, though they are supposedly all unmarked, I caught someone in Boston trying to stuff one of our suitcases into a bigger duffle bag.

Those trips, it was a Glock. I used to fly with my Miller Custom Commander, but losing & replacing that would be expensive and frustrating. Now I just use a Glock for all travel. When/if it's stolen, I can replace it quickly & relatively in expensively.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I've never had any baggage lost containing firearms.

However, American did lose one of my bags (never recovered) in the 90's. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that the baggage handlers were threatening to strike at the time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Write down the phone numbers of the FBI / ATF offices nearest your departure and arrival airports. They will be very interested if your gun is missing from your checked luggage.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Write down the phone numbers of the FBI / ATF offices nearest your departure and arrival airports. They will be very interested if your gun is missing from your checked luggage.
View Quote

This. I remember someone telling me that the post office delivered two shotguns to the wrong address and and the person did not return them. The person expecting them called the ATF and they were located quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top